SiouxSports.com Forum

Southeastern Oklahoma State U

MafiaMan

My critique:

My critique of your critique: :silly:

Politically correct: "Savage Storm" in the heart of "tornado alley"? This could be a problem the next time there's an outbreak of killer tornados in Oklahoma, which is only a matter of time.

Meaningless symbol sure to offend no one: Did you forget this AP story from back in January?

Some American Indian groups say Southeastern Oklahoma State officials made a poor decision when they changed the school's nickname from the Savages to the Savage Storm.

"It remains a slap in the face to all Native Americans and needs to be retired along with other images deemed racially harmful," said Cindy Martin, a member of the Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism.

Pointless name such as Sun, Fever, Shock, Heat, Miracle, or Magic: True, but when you combine the pointless name with a previously used racist word such as "savage," someone's bound to be offended.

Overall grade: C

In related news, has-been child star Fred Savage recently announced a lawsuit against Southeastern Oklahoma State University for trademark infringement, disparagement, intentional infliction of emotional distress, interference with prospective advantage and caving into the NC$$ like a bunch of candy-asses. Damages in excess of $100,000,000,000 are being sought. Developing ...

:silly:

Clearly, even the the casual fan can see how much more offensive this is than the Florida State Seminoles helmet. :silly:

The offense, as I understand it, was in tying the word "savages" to American Indians. However, I was quite disappointed that SEOSU didn't throw a monkey wrench into the NCAA machine by dropping the Native American imagery and keeping the name Savages. That way, SEOSU could have argued that it was following Merrimack's example when it retained the Warriors nickname and disassociated it from Native American imagery. Savages, like warriors, come in all races, nationalities and ethnicities.

Bradley University was allowed to maintain its Braves nickname by disassociating it from Native American imagery. The NCAA said William and Mary could remain The Tribe and Illinois could remain the Fighting Illini as long as they both disassociated themselves from Indian imagery. SEOSU should have kept its name and changed its logo.

The offense, as I understand it, was in tying the word "savages" to American Indians. However, I was quite disappointed that SEOSU didn't throw a monkey wrench into the NCAA machine by dropping the Native American imagery and keeping the name Savages. That way, SEOSU could have argued that it was following Merrimack's example when it retained the Warriors nickname and disassociated it from Native American imagery. Savages, like warriors, come in all races, nationalities and ethnicities.

Bradley University was allowed to maintain its Braves nickname by disassociating it from Native American imagery. The NCAA said William and Mary could remain The Tribe and Illinois could remain the Fighting Illini as long as they both disassociated themselves from Indian imagery. SEOSU should have kept its name and changed its logo.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What exactly are you inferring by your use of the word 'monkey'? :silly:

The school I really liked was Carthage College removing a feather from it's "C" and calling themselves the Red Men instead of Redmen and having sensitivity training to ensure that students and faculty know there is NO association with Native American imagery. What a crock.