SiouxSports.com Forum

KESSEL UPDATE

siouxfan5

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Phil Kessel today signed with the Boston Bruins.

2620139.embedded.jpg

Kessel signs with Bruins

Ex-Gophers center gets deal that could be worth $3 million

Phil Kessel's career with the Gophers hockey team officially ended after one season on Thursday when he agreed to a three-year contract with the Boston Bruins. Kessel, selected fifth in the 2006 NHL draft, will earn a base salary of $850,000, with bonuses that could make the deal worth as much as $3 million a year.

Is anyone else as surprised by this development as I am?

jawdrop.gif

In other news, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Phil Kessel today signed with the Boston Bruins.

Is anyone else as surprised by this development as I am?

Apparently so! I told some of my friends who are Gopher fans and caught their immediate expressions with my camera. They are quite stunned!

surprised%20monkey.jpg

surprised.jpg

Surprised.jpg

surprised.jpg

15560surprise_face.jpg

Kessel to play on the 1st or 2nd line? Is Boston that thin offensively? He is a good player, but when I read 1st line, I couldn't really believe it. It takes any kids who make that jump a while to adjust.

Hey be careful, you are not allowed to discuss the mentioned topic..........I read the same article and chuckled to myself.....he will need time playing in the NHL before he is a steady first line player.

Kessel to play on the 1st or 2nd line? Is Boston that thin offensively? He is a good player, but when I read 1st line, I couldn't really believe it. It takes any kids who make that jump a while to adjust.

In all seriousness, I reallly think Boston should think this thru. They threw Joe Thornton into the fire and crucified him when that didn't pan out in a positive way for him OR the Bruins. Immediate captaincy and monster expectations were too much for Joe. They shipped him off to San Jose where he is thriving. Given Phil's personality, or what I hear about it, it certainly sounds he isn't the type of kid who should be thrust into the role previously occupied by Thornton.

Hey be careful, you are not allowed to discuss the mentioned topic..........

That's right. I had to whack myself with a ruler for posting that Kessel article. What was I thinking? :D

Given Phil's personality, or what I hear about it, it certainly sounds he isn't the type of kid who should be thrust into the role previously occupied by Thornton.

It sounds as if the Bruins will give Kessel every opportunity to prove himself. Maybe that's exactly what he needs. On the other hand, I could see it backfiring, too. Time will tell.

It sounds as if the Bruins will give Kessel every opportunity to prove himself. Maybe that's exactly what he needs. On the other hand, I could see it backfiring, too. Time will tell.

That is why I think he will be just fine....the Bruins are going to give him so much time and opportunity, because he is such a high draft pick and so highly touted