SiouxSports.com Forum

New Goalie

chief

what is this I hear about Marc Ranfranz re-joining the hockey team?  I hear he is supposed to be a great addition to the team.  I saw him play earlier this year and he looks pretty good, as long as Blais can keep him under control off the ice.

Yeah I'm sure Ranfranz is better than the other 3 goalies on the team.  That's why he got cut!  Come on, try to make some sence.  If he is so #### good, why didn't he even make the team this fall?

I've watched Ranfranz play for several years here in Rochester and he is ok at best.  He will need to make a mighty big step up in his game to make it at the D1 level.  I wish him well but he is not the savior you are hoping for.  Right now, Jake looks to be the best option.

Any more word on this kid from Minot State U. coming over?  Again not a savior, but just wondering what they are supposed to do with 5 goalies plus another one signed to play next year.

Kev,

I agree about Ranfranz. How can anyone think he is the man if he didn't even make the team in the fall.

The kid from Minot State is now not coming to UND.

In my opinion, the way this team turns it around is some sort of platoon system with Jake Brandt and Kollar. Sofie, maybe only in an emergency???

Any solid information about Nate Ziegleman coming form LIncoln??  I have read it on a couple of other boards...but nothing concrete.  He would be a great addition.  Then they could leave Sedevie in Sioux Falls for another year, since he has not been playing and getting the seasoning he needs.

Hkntsmn

Be more clear in what you say.  I'm not as tuned in as you are.

Are you saying that if the team has scholarship money invested in a player they would keep that player over a non-cholarship player?

OR are you saying they would cut the scholarship player first?  If that is the case, that says to me that if cut, the player loses their scholarship.

I'm not clear on how this works so I am not challenging you.  I'm looking for clarity.

I want to say that when you make a commitment to a player and give them a scholarship it is difficult to not keep them and let them play.  Whereas a walk-on is easier to let go.  You make commitments to young men and hope that they take full advantage of them.  I do not speak for anyone here.  I just speculate that when you make decisions and offer players scholarships you will usually see how they do.  You have already decided that they should fit your program.  I hope that Marc gets a chance is all.  If he can't do better than what I have seen so far then he has lost a little.

Here is an article from the Herald updating the recruiting situation:

http://web.northscape.com/content/gfherald...FGOALIE1213.htm

Looks like this guy might be pretty good.  Nice to see some big name schools are going after him.   I'm not a goalie guru, and I know that there is more to winning games than being able to stop a breakaway, but you have to like his stats in shoot-out games.  To me that says he is quick, and smart, and doesn't rattle easily.

Sounds like he might be a nice addition if he commits.  

Thoughts?

Hey Dagies,

This guys sounds like the coaches thought this guy was going to commit then did not. I just hope we are not on a sinking ship no one wants to be a part of.

I hope he does commit to us, but who would want to lose 1/2 a year of elgibility to maybe get to play a few years. But if he is good he would probably get to play. So does that mean that ANDY is out of the mix. I don't understand what the heck we are doing?

So if the new recruit comes to UND do we cut Sofie and what do we do with Lafranz sounds like he might not stick around. May go to UNO.

But looking at some of the teams that are also interested in him I think we have a chance of signing him.

MSU has Miller  and he is an all-American. I believe that Miller is there fo one more year. Doesn't C.C. already has a few goalies? BU, they always have two solid goalies. So why can't we get two or three solid goalies I would tend to think that our arena would be an attractive option for a kid...

Goon, I agree.  I would our current goaltending situation would be attractive to a goalie.  Why would they give up half a year of eligibility?  Good question.

But, if he went to another team, he might sit the first half year waiting to get chances to get on the ice.  Look at Bruckler at WI.  I think he's going to be awesome.

Here, he #### well could be at least rotating by the MN or AA series.  If he is real good he could be the guy.

Remember Schweitzer came in at Christmas, and I am wondering if Belfour didn't as well??  My memory fails me.  I think another Sioux goalie came in a Christmas, anyway.

We have had 2 good goalies for quite some time now.  To be honest, I think our goaltending situation this year was a mistake.  I don't think the search for goalies started soon enough. And those who did sign were not real top goalies, in my opinion (Brandt, Brown, etc)  Their stats for last year looked pretty average.   (from what you can tell about stats, but that is all I had to go on).

Sedivie might be the real deal, but who knows.  Maybe Blais thought that Kollar was going to be the real deal this year and Sedevie next year.  Therefore he wasn't concerned with bringing in another top goal recruit this year.  And it fell through on him.  All speculation on my part.

Anyway, it would be nice to see this kid commit now and come on in.

Goon, I have to agree with you about the tone of the article.  It sounds like a missed commitment right now.  Things feel pretty rough now, but if they could string together a few wins I think everyone would start to feel better.  Patience, I guess.

Don't win many in WCHA without goaltending.  I hope they figure it out.  I know Ranfranz can stop the puck.  Kid from Waterloo is good though I hope we get him.  I also hope we didn't chase Marc off to soon without having the  kid from Waterloo nailed down.  Gosh I really want to win some of these games when we outshoot the other team 47 - 18.  

Hmm.  Brandt has a 2.0 GA and if you take away the EN goal, he's got a 1.5 GA in the last 2 games.  Not shabby.

AFter the game Blais said "I think maybe we've found a goalie".  He said Jake has the respect of the team now.

2 games is too soon to know, but it's a good start.

My recollection was that Siembida (sp) was to notify the Sioux yesterday, December 15, of his intentions.  Has anyone heard anything?  Even though Brandt has done pretty well, I like the idea of a rotation, and if Kollar and Sofie aren't playing well enough to be part of it, I'd like to add another good goalie.

One nice thing to read was how well Marsh thought the Sioux played with the lead both nights.  Granted, it was against a struggling St. Lawrence team, but it was still nice to read.

Congrats, dagies, on 100 posts.

I don't have any new info but for what it's worth at the start of December Waterloo had three goaltenders.

They traded one to Tulsa for .... a forward.

That leaves two goaltenders, one of which is Siembida. What's that say to you? It says 'no' to me.

Who knows. Wait for official word.

It looks like word of this trade hit the Waterloo message board late on Thursday, December 13.  That timing would fit with a 'no,' where Siembida went home after his Wednesday visit and told Waterloo he would be staying.  But it's just speculation, so Sic's right.  I guess we wait.

I checked their message board to.  It seems their info came from the article in the Herald.  So I think they heard about it when we did.  Or about the same time.  

I would guess that he has not or will not be committing at this time, based on the absence of news.

At this point, if he is a very good goalie and they could get him to come in next year, that would be fine with me.