SiouxSports.com Forum

New I-AA Teams/Conference?

GeauxSioux

I saw this link over on egriz and thought it may have implications into UND's future hopes for a conference.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...92321%2C00.html

In 2004, the NCAA said: "Institutions must meet the requirements to remain a Division I-A institution in the sport of football. If a college or university does not meet the requirements in a given year, it will receive a notice letter. If it does not meet the standards again at any time during a 10-year period, the institution will be placed in restricted status and not be eligible for postseason competition in football."

Per NCAA bylaws, should any team miss the mark three times in a 10-year period, it could lose its Division I-A status in football only.

The following teams did not average 15,000 per game last year.

Utah State, New Mexico State and San Jose State from the WAC along with Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Buffalo, Rice, Akron, Temple, Ball State, Louisiana Monroe, Tulane and Bowling Green.

If some of these teams did not recover and increase their attendance, what would happen to a conference like the MAC, which includes 6 of the teams listed? Where would these teams go? This along with the split in the Big East that I keep hearing about could have some big implications on conferences.

I saw this link over on egriz and thought it may have implications into UND's future hopes for a conference.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...92321%2C00.html

The following teams did not average 15,000 per game last year.

Utah State, New Mexico State and San Jose State from the WAC along with Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Buffalo, Rice, Akron, Temple, Ball State, Louisiana Monroe, Tulane and Bowling Green.

If some of these teams did not recover and increase their attendance, what would happen to a conference like the MAC, which includes 6 of the teams listed? Where would these teams go? This along with the split in the Big East that I keep hearing about could have some big implications on conferences.

I'm not sure I follow you. The blurb you quoted cites Division I-A's attendance requirements. We're not going D-IA in football.

I'm not sure I follow you. The blurb you quoted cites Division I-A's attendance requirements. We're not going D-IA in football.

We are not going I-A, but a number of teams are not reaching the 15,000 attendance requirement for I-A and may have to drop back to I-AA. 6 of these teams are in the MAC. Admittedly these schools are not next door to us, but I wonder what will happen to them if they do need to drop back to I-AA and what will happen to the MAC? Sorry for being unclear, but it was late.

Exactly! It didn't seem to be a big deal with Maurice Clarett cheating and lying his way thru Ohio State (thru no fault of OSU's, of course :love: ) so why would Myles and co. get their undies in a bunch over attendance? Frankly, I'd be more concerned with flying a Confederate flag over the state capitol building in Bismarck than I would over attendance.

I've never understood why attendance matters to an organization based on what is best for the amateur student athlete and amateurism.

Minimum mandatory attendance criteria reeks of professionalism in what should be pristine amateur sport.

If "School X" can afford 85 scholarships (say they have a kind benefactor) that is best for the amateur student athlete: So why does it matter how many people are in the stands.

The NCAA has not been big in pushing the attendance requirements for IA so I don't see that being an issue. Yes its in the books but its been there a long time and its never been a big deal to the NCAA. Not sure why it would be now.

The NCAA changed the rule in 2004 and now will supposedly enforce it. There are a number of exemptions but if a school drops below the 15,000 threshold 3 times in 10 years, the school loses its 1A designation.

I personally believe that the BCS schools, now that they have the right to count IAA games for bowls, would like to eliminate one or two IA conferences (i.e. MAC and Sunbelt) so lower end bowls would be forced to give even more $'s at the low end. Schools like Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and San Jose St will have a very difficult time meeting the current rule.

This rule won't have an impact for at least another two years + whatever time it takes for the first school to litigate the matter.

Hello Geaux Sioux,

Here in Big East country, the most recent word is that the BIg East is not going to split in four years as was expected when the new colleges were added. The new Big East football/basketball deal was better than expected and I don't think the league wants to lose some of the non-football schools in the larger cities(such as DePaul,Saint John's, Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette). The only way I see a split soon is if Penn State, Notre Dame, or Maryland join the league--all of which are very unlikely.

I've never understood why attendance matters to an organization based on what is best for the amateur student athlete and amateurism.

Minimum mandatory attendance criteria reeks of professionalism in what should be pristine amateur sport.

If "School X" can afford 85 scholarships (say they have a kind benefactor) that is best for the amateur student athlete: So why does it matter how many people are in the stands.

Because ... especially from a basketball perspective ... the reason school X is playing at the D1 level is to get a cut of the very lucrative TV contract that is shared equally amongst every D1 member.

The more members in D1 the smaller the pie ... not everyone wants to share their pie.

Because ... especially from a basketball perspective ... the reason school X is playing at the D1 level is to get a cut of the very lucrative TV contract that is shared equally amongst every D1 member.

The more members in D1 the smaller the pie ... not everyone wants to share their pie.

Basketball is not germane to this discussion. The only sport to my knowledge that has minimum attendance requirements is I-A football. If your attendance falls below 15,000 you may be asked to drop from I-A to I-AA. Whether you are DI-AA or D-IA in football you are still Division I in basketball and your slice of the basketball pie would remain the same with the possible exception of the conference you are in. The power conferences obviously are taking more of the pie.