SiouxSports.com Forum

BB Offers

SiouxIowa

Thanks for the info. I will make sure the BB staff gets the info. I tried to learn a little more about Smendziuk on the web but couldn't find anything about his current height and weight. I know he was 6'4" a couple of years ago. Any more info would be good. Per the quote above, he was guarding a 6'11" guy. Does that mean he plays center on his team?

He is now 6'6" and he was playing center on the U17 team. I also located a more recent link for you. His scool team is All Saints and his City league team is the Guardsmen

http://www.basketball.on.ca/site/index.cfm...=Page&ID=23

• 3 weeks later...
UND men get a commitment from an Iowa player: link.

Love these quotes...

“Ever since I was little, I dreamed of playing Division I basketball,” Mitchell said. “I finally got my opportunity.”
“His goal was to play Division I basketball,” added Mitchell's coach, Mike O'Connor. “He felt very comfortable with the coaches and with the team when he visited. The facilities there were a great selling point. And the fact that there is so much attention for UND in the area got him excited.”

I make a comment about the lack of interest on Men's BBall.

UND9296 and UNDFan responded defending the lack of response as timing.

This thread has 14 respones .... 8 discuss changes/updates/additions to the Women's Basketball Team and -0- responses as in None, Nada, The Null Set, Nothing discuss changes/updates/additions to the Men's Basketball Team.

IMO this goes to re-inforce the point ... the interst in Men's Basketball at North Dakota hovers somewhere around ... Nothing

1. It's not even basketball season yet. 2. Farmers have more time on their hands than businessmen (one cheapshot should be expected) 3. For many fans it's a wait and see time of year 4. Chat sites like this aren't really mainstream yet.

1. It's not even basketball season yet. 2. Farmers have more time on their hands than businessmen (one cheapshot should be expected) 3. For many fans it's a wait and see time of year 4. Chat sites like this aren't really mainstream yet.

I guess my response to your original post could be considered "defending". But I do agree with you, there does not seem to be a great deal of interest. I hope that will change with a new coach, a new brand of ball and, most importantly, more wins. Historically, UND's men's program has had a very good following. A lot of people lost interest over the last few years due to 1) what most people thought was a lackluster effort and 2) the fact that the women's team was much more successful and much more fun to watch. With some success, I certainly hope the interest in and excitement for UND men's BB will return.

But, unfortunately - your perception is probably quite true!

I plan on staying and watching some of the men's games this year to see how our new system will be. That is very different from the last 5 or more years when I had absolutely no interest in the mens program due to the coach/playing style/overall system that was in place. I am hoping to see a more disciplined team this year as well as an exciting set of plays (more than 2 would help) and a good attitude.

I plan on staying and watching some of the men's games this year to see how our new system will be. That is very different from the last 5 or more years when I had absolutely no interest in the mens program due to the coach/playing style/overall system that was in place. I am hoping to see a more disciplined team this year as well as an exciting set of plays (more than 2 would help) and a good attitude.

I agree. I'm a long-time season ticketholder, but it was extremely difficult to make myself stay for the men's games last year, and I have to admit that I didn't stay for many of them. It was just too frustrating, and there didn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. Now, I fully expect to go to all the games. I'm not expecting a repeat of the 1989-90 or 1990-91 seasons, but I do expect to see a better and more exciting product on the floor.

Only a week away from kick off for both the women's and men's teams, when is media day?

Is there any open pratices this weekend with a football game in town ?

Let's all hope that with the new deal of the internet site that they make upgrades on the internet feed of the games this winter.