SiouxSports.com Forum

Donation Limits

yekcoh

Even if they cap athletic department donations, what would they do to prevent an REA-like situation where the school plays a sport in a privately funded and owned building? How do they stop UND from playing in REA without stopping Minnesota from playing in the Metrodome (yes, I know, they're getting a new stadium)? How do they plan on enforcing a cap against private institutions -- no post-season tournaments on campuses that accepted too large a donation?

I don't see how this possibly has legs. The NCAA is blustering again about athletics being too big a business, but this avenue of attack is untenable.

I hope they don't make a blanket rule to cover all donations. The Oklahoma donation is not enought for the 'Village' the donor wants built. So they will be forced to look to other means of raising the rest of the money. Our arena was completely paid for with the donation and as far as I know it is self sufficient.

If a donor wants to donate money for a 'need', what business is it of the NC$$ anyway. Bureaurocracy gone wild!!

And meanwhile, the NC$$ should be more concerned about graduation rates, schools graduating literate athletes, recruiting practices, etc. Then again, that's not sexy enough for a bunch of wheezy academics. :angry:

As a practical matter, as Jim alluded, the NC$$ probably has little/no power to regulate how much money a private individual can donate to a school, or its programs, or how it's done. However, one can make the same argument with regard to names/logos, and look where we are now. ;);)

So does this mean some old goat couldn't donate $100 million to the NCAA? Or is that just peachy keen? It's ok for the NCAA to do it, just not for their members.

Why do you ask questions that you already know the answer to?

The NCAA (prime sponsor: Pontiac) is the home of "Do as I say, not as I do."