SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon & DI

SiouxMD

I don't agree with that at all.

I think that CSP is the last DII NDSU schedules unless we play UND.

A DII/DIA combo might offset talent wise, but it doesn't impress the playoff selection committee.

What I was getting at is that with I-A going to a 12 game schedule the trend seems to be I-A's scheduling I-AA guarantee games which is generally a sure loss (in most cases) for the I-AA school. To offset this sure loss, the I-AA school brings in a DII for a guarantee game and a sure win (in most cases). I don't see why in 2008 NDSU wouldn't bring in UND. They likely won't have the full alotment of scholarships, they won't have to pay a guarantee, and it will be a sell-out. It probably doesn't really matter though, because I think the GWFC will extend an invitation to UND before the start of the 2008 season, and UND will be in the Fargodome for conference game.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was getting at is that with I-A going to a 12 game schedule the trend seems to be I-A's scheduling I-AA guarantee games which is generally a sure loss (in most cases) for the I-AA school. To offset this sure loss, the I-AA school brings in a DII for a guarantee game and a sure win (in most cases). I don't see why in 2008 NDSU wouldn't bring in UND. They likely won't have the full alotment of scholarships, they won't have to pay a guarantee, and it will be a sell-out. It probably doesn't really matter though, because I think the GWFC will extend an invitation to UND before the start of the 2008 season, and UND will be in the Fargodome for conference game.

I realize what you posted, and I disagree: it doesn't offset.

DIAA is very status conscious and the playoff committee doesn't like DII games; they punish you for playing them.

You can see for yourself if you review selection decisions the last few years-Poly got screwed big time in '04.

You could also go to ags and start a thread there.

NDSU with UND on the schedule would receive no consideration with more than three losses and probably would have to lose two or less. Considering they'd be playing a DIA they would have one extra game to lose.

I don't see UND getting a formal invite to the GWFC until they formally declare they are moving DI, ie NCAA paperwork signed and delivered to Indianapolis. I'm sure they are already on the minds of every Great West AD.

Despite what has been said by many parties, (hypothetically) NDSU would vote for UND to join their conference in almost any circumstance.

With regards to admission to the Big Sky Conference, assume the likelihood is low and don't listen to a work Fullerton says. It could be a home for UND in the future, but given the current landscape it is not likely. If it happens you will be pleasantly surprised. Fullerton should be in politics not administration.

I have to agree with this statement. NDSU needs UND as much as we need NDSU at UND for possible recruiting

Did I write UND, no. I wrote 'you guys' in reference to the posters on the board.

While UND does sponsor hockey (never new that :lol: ) it obviously doesn't have much experience (or luck?) with reclassifying as exhibited by UND's inability to stay up to date with the change in declaration date of an institution's exploratory year.

Of course maybe folks at UND are very good at repetitive tasks-such as repeating "we have hockey" whenever a NDSU fan is around- but aren't very good at reading comprehension or analysis. ;)

No more smack, I promise.

When you have figured out the difference between Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville University, feel free to lecture the rest of us on the finer points of D-I. ;)

you'll need Juco transfers to fill your holes. good luck in winning, if you don't
Funny, everyone says the same thing in D-II also, but poor old UND manages somehow to "skate" (obligatory hockey reference to rub in the face of a Bison fan) by. But, if for some reason UND does start recruiting JUCOs as they transition to D-I, those players will have to meet D-I academic standards- which is the whole point of this argument anyway!

Gene wasn't taking a shot at UND, he's pointing out that NDSU (nor any other DI institution) isn't going to be very interested in playing UND until they meet DI requirements; also, since you made the insinuation, please name some "D2 flunkies" that attended NDSU

Gene Taylor is the one making silly assumptions, not me. Only a fool would believe that the football program that has been the benchmark for academic success in the NCC would be going through the transition with a bunch of non-qualifiers while the NDSU is doing it with 4.0 students. ??? I also think the schedules of UNC, SDSU, NDSU, UCD, etc. would point to the fact that more than a couple of full D-I members are willing to take a chance on playing a provisional member.

And you still haven't answered my question. Is NDSU able to certify that every single player on its rosters meets D-I academic requirements or is the playing field unlevel (which in turn makes all D-I accomplishments so far illegitimate)?

Gene Taylor is the one making silly assumptions, not me. Only a fool would believe that the football program that has been the benchmark for academic success in the NCC would be going through the transition with a bunch of non-qualifiers while the NDSU is doing it with 4.0 students. ??? I also think the schedules of UNC, SDSU, NDSU, UCD, etc. would point to the fact that more than a couple of full D-I members are willing to take a chance on playing a provisional member.

Gene Taylor is basing nothing on academics it is all about UND being a DI counter, NDSU is not going to play UND if they count on the schedule as a D2 school. NDSU wasn't a counter until this past year, Cal Poly missed the playoffs two years ago because of the non-DI's it's team played. NDSU will not make the same mistake and my guess is that Gene Taylor will put togather the best schedule possible to get NDSU into the playoffs in 2008. If UND is a DI counter by then or if they are in the GWFC they will probably be on the schedule but if not it the game will probably have to wait until the 09 season.

c) Gene wasn't taking a shot at UND, he's pointing out that NDSU (nor any other DI institution) isn't going to be very interested in playing UND until they meet DI requirements; also, since you made the insinuation, please name some "D2 flunkies" that attended NDSU

Before we turn this into a flame throwing contest. Maybe someone should tell coach Miles to turn off the charm and quit putting UND down every chance he gets. ???

My grand-pappy used to say: "Be careful of the toes you step on today they maybe attached to the *ss you

might have to kiss tommorow." ;)

Let's see NDSU needs to really fill a date, UND has a date that is open.

A conversation that might happen may go like this:

Gene: Tom, I hear you have an open date.

Tom: I sure do however, "your" coach said we wouldn't be ready for three years.

Gene: Oh that... Tim might have had a "few" on the golf course....

Tom: Well, I''ll let you know Montana called and offered $$$$. Can I get back to you? :lol:

Riverman, I think you have had "a few too many" if you believe Tim Miles will be the one calling to beg Mr. Jones for a game. I suspect the Bison will be in a conference by then and will have no trouble filling in a 10 game non-conference schedule. UND on the other hand will be playing the DAC-10 and MIAC schools for their only home games 3 years down the road. I'm also guessing if Amy Ruley never sees Mr. Roebuck again it will be too soon for her, so don't expect much movement there until it is forced upon her.

Gene Taylor is basing nothing on academics it is all about UND being a DI counter, NDSU is not going to play UND if they count on the schedule as a D2 school. NDSU wasn't a counter until this past year, Cal Poly missed the playoffs two years ago because of the non-DI's it's team played. NDSU will not make the same mistake and my guess is that Gene Taylor will put togather the best schedule possible to get NDSU into the playoffs in 2008. If UND is a DI counter by then or if they are in the GWFC they will probably be on the schedule but if not it the game will probably have to wait until the 09 season.

This is the statement I've been commenting on, and it's all about academics:

The Bison will want to make sure UND athletes meet the minimum Division I academic standards, for instance, before they play the Sioux, he said. That's because NDSU would want a level playing field, and Division II academic standards aren't as stringent, Taylor said.

And just so everyone understands my position, I could care less if the two teams play again at all. And if Gene Taylor feels that way too, fine by me, but be a man and come out and say it versus coming up with the above garbage.

What a great article about Lennon!! He is the classiest coach either school has ever had.

Now lets talk about Gene Taylor and NDSU academics when it relates to athletes, over the 2 years NDSU has seen several(3-6) football players leave the program because they have failed in the classroom. I was totally unaware of this until my brother-in-laws dad(who is a HUGE Bison Backer) pointed this out me. The main reason nobody knows the true graduation rate or GPA among the athletic teams in Fargo is due the administration not releasing it.

So, Mr. Taylor what is the GPA of your football team or your basketball team, or any team?

The last time NDSU had to post this information was the last year in the NCC, NDSU was at the bottom of the league with a 44% graduation rate among athletes and UND was 77% followed closely by Augustana.

All this goes back to the institution itself, UND student athletes have maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to play and NDSU always went by the NCAA minimum 1.67 give or a few. Also, knowing very of the players at NDSU they always joked about all the players who would be ineligible at UND because of this 2.0 criteria.

I would love to see some information on NDSU student athletes made public because UND always post their information for everyone to see.

Does anyone from NDSU have information to back their student athletes and just not one athlete here and there, as a team.

later

Riverman, I think you have had "a few too many" if you believe Tim Miles will be the one calling to beg Mr. Jones for a game. I suspect the Bison will be in a conference by then and will have no trouble filling in a 10 game non-conference schedule. UND on the other hand will be playing the DAC-10 and MIAC schools for their only home games 3 years down the road. I'm also guessing if Amy Ruley never sees Mr. Roebuck again it will be too soon for her, so don't expect much movement there until it is forced upon her.

Might want to read the post again. ???

Why would a D1 program want to play a Dac-10 school? Maybe you had "a few to many" :lol:

Might want to read the post again. ???

Why would a D1 program want to play a Dac-10 school? Maybe you had "a few to many" :lol:

You implied Tim Miles would be begging UND for a game in three years, which is not going to happen. However, I will guarantee you UND will be playung some DAC 10 and NSIC teams in their first D1 season. They might get a handful or two of D1 away games since they won't be a D1 counter.

Bottom line.....NDSU can't play UND until you are a DI counter. It will not happen until that time. Right now NDSU has to be very careful to maximize our standing in the polls, and once we are playoff eligible, have a schedule that will make a strong case for an at large playoff bid.......

I think it is very interesting to see a lot of NDSU people on the board saying we can't use the same scheduling NDSU did to get where they are now.....guess what?? We are going to do exactly what SU did as far as scheduling week teams and very strong teams.

Montana is also in a conference with an auto-bid.

But yet you still have a chance to get into the playoffs finishing second in the Big Sky, Montana apparently took that risk. Can't and won't are totally different.

Side note: I prefer they did't play when UND was in its transition anyways. I think it would be unfair to one team.

I think the schedule will definetly be more challenging. UND will get a few surprizes, and a few cupcakes. Heck they've even got Northern Iowa on the schedule this year (don't beat them, or you'll never get a team to schedule you). And you'll probably still find a U Mary on the schedule in a year or two. I would be excited if I were a basketball, football fan for the Sioux right now, the future has much potential.

When you have figured out the difference between Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville University, feel free to lecture the rest of us on the finer points of D-I. ;)

I'm just a casual fan who made a mistake, your University embarassed itself by not staying up to date on the rules-there's a huge difference in magnitude-but thanks for the personal attack.

I'm pretty confident in my statement about an aversion to DII scheduling, as I posted, feel free to double check it.

What a great article about Lennon!! He is the classiest coach either school has ever had.

Now lets talk about Gene Taylor and NDSU academics when it relates to athletes, over the 2 years NDSU has seen several(3-6) football players leave the program because they have failed in the classroom. I was totally unaware of this until my brother-in-laws dad(who is a HUGE Bison Backer) pointed this out me. The main reason nobody knows the true graduation rate or GPA among the athletic teams in Fargo is due the administration not releasing it.

So, Mr. Taylor what is the GPA of your football team or your basketball team, or any team?

The last time NDSU had to post this information was the last year in the NCC, NDSU was at the bottom of the league with a 44% graduation rate among athletes and UND was 77% followed closely by Augustana.

All this goes back to the institution itself, UND student athletes have maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to play and NDSU always went by the NCAA minimum 1.67 give or a few. Also, knowing very of the players at NDSU they always joked about all the players who would be ineligible at UND because of this 2.0 criteria.

I would love to see some information on NDSU student athletes made public because UND always post their information for everyone to see.

Does anyone from NDSU have information to back their student athletes and just not one athlete here and there, as a team.

later

6 players leave a 80 player roster over two years and you believe that is a scandal?

6 players leave a 80 player roster over two years and you believe that is a scandal?

LOL!! It is not a scandal but NDSU is worried about UND's grades while they should be more concerned about their own...that is all I am trying to say.

I would just like people to think about their own situation before they start making rediculous comments.