SiouxSports.com Forum

Catawaba keeps their name

bigmrg74

Catawaba keeps their name

I saw this over on D2football, and I thought I would pass it along to you guys. adds more to your guy's case I believe. ;)

Very interesting development...Just goes to show that the NCAA will not back down from UND on this issue and ultimately the only way we get justice is to back the House Resolution 5289 and take the fight to the NCAA's pocket-book.

BobIwabuchiFan

Very interesting development...Just goes to show that the NCAA will not back down from UND on this issue and ultimately the only way we get justice is to back the House Resolution 5289 and take the fight to the NCAA's pocket-book.

BobIwabuchiFan

But it sounds like they have tribal support. UND does to it is just that the NCAA seems to think to only look at the one reservation that does not support it and ignores the others that do support the nickname. One another note really quick, did anyone else notice that last week the Board of higher education of North Dakota placed its first Native American on the Board, and guess what....He supports UND keeping the nickname. Good for them. I think that is a giant step in the right direction. Go Sioux and Support 5289....

One another note really quick, did anyone else notice that last week the Board of higher education of North Dakota placed its first Native American on the Board, and guess what....He supports UND keeping the nickname. Good for them. I think that is a giant step in the right direction. Go Sioux and Support 5289....

Unless he changed his mind since he wrote the letter posted in this thread:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6434

He is against the use of Fighting Sioux by the University of North Dakota.

Unless he changed his mind since he wrote the letter posted in this thread:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6434

He is against the use of Fighting Sioux by the University of North Dakota.

Murphy must have changed his mind because the stories I read about his appointment quoted him as saying that he supports keeping the Fighting Sioux nickname at UND.

Thanks guys! This is great news. ;)

I am now posting the response I just got form Mr. Pomeroy. I does not support 5289. Hereis the emaail her sent me....The only thing I took out was my address. I do not need any pissed off people showing up at my door...Thanks all and once again these guys just do not get it. Do they not realize talk is cheap and they can be voted out of office. Go Sioux!

May 31, 2006

Dear Nels:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 5289, a bill that would respond to NCAA sanctions. I appreciate hearing from you on this important topic.

As a proud graduate of the University of North Dakota (UND) and supporter of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, I have been in strenuous disagreement with the NCAA and their conclusion that a "hostile and abusive" atmosphere exists at UND.

However, I do not feel like anything is likely to get better on this issue by having Congress get involved. Rather, in my view, we would simply bring on a new, national forum for a noisy debate where "hostile and abusive" and UND are further linked in public discussion. I have rarely seen sensitive topics move toward constructive resolution when considered in such a polarized, partisan arena. I sincerely believe Congress would inflame the debate rather than do anything positive.

I am happy to discuss this further and invite you to write again with your thoughts on this. I hope as further action is taken, common ground with broad consensus can be found.

Like you, I want press coverage on our beloved UND to be about the outstanding education, students, sports teams - not about the nickname controversy. Hopefully, that day will return soon.

Sincerely,

EARL POMEROY

Member of Congress

I am now posting the response I just got form Mr. Pomeroy. I does not support 5289. Hereis the emaail her sent me....The only thing I took out was my address. I do not need any pissed off people showing up at my door...Thanks all and once again these guys just do not get it. Do they not realize talk is cheap and they can be voted out of office. Go Sioux!

I think everyone that contacted Earl got the exact same email.

Thanks guys! This is great news. ;)

I agree, great news. While I'm happy to read he supports UND making its own decision regarding the use of the name, his 180 degree turn about makes me feel vaguely uneasy.

(Could be the novacaine, I just got back from the dentist. :lol: )

I guess the representative from ND doesn't want to do his job and thinks that bringing legislation onto the floor is a messy and polarizing business. If that's the way he is going to represent ND, then can someone remind me why anyone voted him into this powerful position? Also, why don't we hear these same weasel words from the Illinois representatives? Or the Minnesota representatives?

Its time everyone on the forum board start writing the ND newspapers and expressing your concern about Rep. Pomeroy's wobbly knees when it comes to supporting the legislation! Let Earl know we are pissed and are going to be vocal about its so he thinks he has to address it in the media and not with BS, copycat congressional reply letters. ;)

BobIwabuchiFan

I guess the representative from ND doesn't want to do his job and thinks that bringing legislation onto the floor is a messy and polarizing business. If that's the way he is going to represent ND, then can someone remind me why anyone voted him into this powerful position? Also, why don't we hear these same weasel words from the Illinois representatives? Or the Minnesota representatives?

Its time everyone on the forum board start writing the ND newspapers and expressing your concern about Rep. Pomeroy's wobbly knees when it comes to supporting the legislation! Let Earl know we are pissed and are going to be vocal about its so he thinks he has to address it in the media and not with BS, copycat congressional reply letters. :ohmy:

BobIwabuchiFan

It is not just Earl. I e-mailed Conrad and Dorgan,just to let them know my feelings if H.R. 5289 makes it to the Senate and I got a bs letter from Conrad today. He carefully avoiding answering any of my questions or concerns in it.

It is not just Earl. I e-mailed Conrad and Dorgan,just to let them know my feelings if H.R. 5289 makes it to the Senate and I got a bs letter from Conrad today. He carefully avoiding answering any of my questions or concerns in it.

Its that they don't want to upset a major voting block of theirs. They are trying to have it both ways.