SiouxSports.com Forum

Alaska and Michigan Tech recruiting strategy

tnt

I was just thinking, if I were a coach of one of these traditionally weak teams, I would fill my line-up with older players from each league that have shown scoring ability, but haven't been given a scholarship, ala Les Reaney from last year. With so many players bolting to the pros in college hockey, and the youth of the traditionally top teams, you should at least be able to compete with 24 year old seniors on your team. College basketball has teams like Northern Iowa that are able to compete with the big boys every once in a while because they keep their players all four years while the big schools lose players to the NBA. The Sioux did well when Blais first came here with older USHL players that weren't high draft picks. I just think the way college hockey has gone lately, that teams like Tech and Alaska should at least have a cyclical competitiveness being that other teams are constantly without big senior classes. What would the rest of you do if you were coach of a lower-tier team?

I was just thinking, if I were a coach of one of these traditionally weak teams, I would fill my line-up with older players from each league that have shown scoring ability, but haven't been given a scholarship, ala Les Reaney from last year. With so many players bolting to the pros in college hockey, and the youth of the traditionally top teams, you should at least be able to compete with 24 year old seniors on your team. College basketball has teams like Northern Iowa that are able to compete with the big boys every once in a while because they keep their players all four years while the big schools lose players to the NBA. The Sioux did well when Blais first came here with older USHL players that weren't high draft picks. I just think the way college hockey has gone lately, that teams like Tech and Alaska should at least have a cyclical competitiveness being that other teams are constantly without big senior classes. What would the rest of you do if you were coach of a lower-tier team?

I think your idea has some merit. Look it how well Minnesota state did against the Sioux. They were a much older team and had more expeirence; plus, they have only lost one player to the NHL so far in David Backes, a Jr.

Oh my Parise..... someone is now actually suggesting that teams utilize the DU/UND recruiting strategy of 30 years ago... 21/22 year old freshmen Canadian hockey players. Oh dear lord.

:D

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do if I were UAA or MTU's head coach. I know that I'd really try hard to recruit local/state talent. Yeah, that's promoting the Woog School of Recruiting, but it may be a place like Alaska's only realistic shot as it appears many players from the "mainland" are reluctant to go up to Anchorage.

In any case, if I were Shyiak, I'd be working my butt off to keep what great talent that does come from Alaska in Alaska. Some notable* Alaskans that didn't stay in Alaska: Evan Trupp, Brian Canady, Matt Carle, Scott Gomez...

Notable: In this case means you've probably heard of him. May not be famous.