SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

AZSIOUX

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody just see the singing of the 2 National Anthems? A Canadian opera singer sang the American Natinal Anthem first. They showed the crowd and there were people in Oiler jerseys singing along. He sang O Canada second and held the mic up after singing just a few sentences andthe crown took over. They sang LOUD and with PASSION. Too bad that doesnt happen at the Ralph. I'd rather see the crowd singing than somebody with a mic.

WOW! Oilers scored at 2:31 of the 1st.

Did you also hear how loudly they cheered for the US Anthem as well. Recall that back during the World Juniors I told you that the jerk fans in Vancouver were nothing but a bunch of bunny-kissing tree-huggers.

On the CBC feed North Dakota got a plug for producing Matt Greene and he got honorable mention from Ron MacLean for his play this evening.

Did you also hear how loudly they cheered for the US Anthem as well. Recall that back during the World Juniors I told you that the jerk fans in Vancouver were nothing but a bunch of bunny-kissing tree-huggers.

On the CBC feed North Dakota got a plug for producing Matt Greene and he got honorable mention from Ron MacLean for his play this evening.

I did notice the cheering for the US Anthem, and the singing along. The booing incident also happened not very long ago in San Jose, too, but with the US booing the O Canada. Pretty pathetic, no matter what side of the border you are on.

Greene and Commie both got mentions from the announcers. It's great to hear, and as great to see that they are both playing good, and that others recognize that as well.

With Greene and Commodore playing, I really don't care who wins. I had really soured on NHL hockey over the years, with how boring it had become. Too many people who couldn't skate playing clutch and grab hockey. With the rule changes made after the lockout, NHL hockey has changed to become an interesting and exciting game. I certainly hope that the WCHA management and refs are taking note. Yes, there was a blown call on the Oilers (a play near the net called by the center ice official), but overall I have been impressed with the new NHL product and the officiating. Still a very physical game, but also entertaining and without the clutch and grab.

The officials have made note of both Commodore and Greene as Fighting Sioux products, but not together in the same breath. It would be great if they did that. Might help with recruiting defensemen in the future.

The officials have made note of both Commodore and Greene as Fighting Sioux products, but not together in the same breath. It would be great if they did that. Might help with recruiting defensemen in the future.

I know it's just my own arrogance that thinks this but I think the young defensemen waiting in the wings are very aware that one of UND's 'pride on ice' is on each of the Stanley Cup championship teams. :lol:

But I do love it being said on 'international television'. :lol:

I love that janitor/stickboy (something like that), who has Down's Syndrome, when he sings "Oh Canada." Sings with full emotion. Have to love it!

Edit: The guys name is Joey Moss. I love that guy!

From the bit they did one him after the 1st period on Sat night, he is really loved by the entire team. Each year, to show the rookies how important of a guy he is to the team, they hold a game and call it the "Joey Moss Cup". When Gretzy's number was retired, he had Joey as part of the ceremony. It was a very touching and emotional clip. I'd like to talk to Matt Greene to see how it is in the locker room with him.

Here's a nice article about Joey who is the Locker Room Attendant. (Had it wrong the first time.)

http://www.cp.org/premium/ONLINE/member/Sp...8/s012825A.html

Found the following on another forum

http://chat.mapleleafs.com/forums/lofivers...php/t24902.html

Joey Moss is the brother of Vicki Moss, who was Wayne Gretzky's gf in Edmonton from about 1980-87 (approx).

Joey is mentally handicapped (or whatever the politically correct word is - I think it's downs syndrome, but not 100% sure) - he started working in the Oilers dressing room in the early 80's - he's one of the longest standing members of the "team"

He's quite the inspiration to the Oilers. He's probably one of the best known Edmontonians in Edmonton, although people in Edmonton probably wouldn't name him if they had to make a list of well known Edmontonians.

Here's a nice article about Joey who is the Equipment manager.

http://www.cp.org/premium/ONLINE/member/Sp...8/s012825A.html

Found the following on another forum

http://chat.mapleleafs.com/forums/lofivers...php/t24902.html

Great articles. Thanks for posting them. I work with 3 boys with Down's Syndrome during the school year, and they are just wonderful kids to work with.

Don Cherry interviewed five Prospects tonight on Coaches Corner and in order they were Staal, Toews, Brassard, the one move wonder and Johnson. Once again Toews gave a great interview while one move seemed to struggle to push out words. I was waiting for him to conclude by saying "That's all folks".