SiouxSports.com Forum

MVP of the year so far

Hrkac_Circus

I was just wondering who everybody's MVP is up to this time in the season.

Personally I would have to go with David Hale, I realize he doesn't score much, or make headlines a whole lot. But if I where to pick one player I wouldn't want to be without in the National Championship I would pick Hale.

Just curious on everyone else's thoughts

I'm going to hold on to my vote until after the CC series. If the Sioux do well, it will be interesting to see if it's because of Parise, the return of Greene and Jones or a combination of other factors and players.

It is interesting to note that since returning from the WJC, Parise has five goals and four assists in four WCHA games. Sure, five of those points are against "cup cake" UAA, but don't forget that the Seawolves held Zach pointless at home. I haven't heard anyone mention lately how he has trouble scoring in the WCHA. ;)

I'm also thinking that Bochenski is about due to break loose with another multiple-goal game or two. This would be a good weekend to do it. Don't forget that Brandon shouldered a big load and came through while Zach was at the WJC.

The Notermann-Lundbohm-Massen line could play a big role in the CC series and in how the rest of the season turns out. Right now, I think they're playing as well as any line in the conference. Maybe Jake Brandt will start stealing some wins for the Sioux or Mike Prpich will emerge as the next Ryan Bayda.

CC averaged about 30 shots on goal per game at The Ralph. If they are held to significantly under that this weekend, it will be a good indicator of how important the D-corps is to the team's success.

I think I just talked myself out of voting for an MVP for the rest of the season. :)

First time poster, but long time Sioux hockey fan---so please be gentle :)

I am gonna give my nod right now to either Bochenski or Notermann. I feel these two have had great seasons for the Sioux and they really contributed and picked up the slack when Zach was the WJC. Don't get me wrong, Parise is a stud and in no way is he undeserving of MVP status, but to me these two guys have really stepped it up for the Sioux. This is just a really tough question right now. One could make an argument for the entire D core of the Sioux. Wow, have those guys stepped it up and played some solid hockey this year.

First time poster, but long time Sioux hockey fan---so please be gentle :)

I am gonna give my nod right now to either Bochenski or Notermann. I feel these two have had great seasons for the Sioux and they really contributed and picked up the slack when Zach was the WJC. Don't get me wrong, Parise is a stud and in no way is he undeserving of MVP status, but to me these two guys have really stepped it up for the Sioux. This is just a really tough question right now. One could make an argument for the entire D core of the Sioux. Wow, have those guys stepped it up and played some solid hockey this year.

We understand you are a posting virgin, so we will be gentle.

You know, I don't know if I could pick one. This would probably be my finalists, though. No order:

D Hale - we've seen his impact on the ice during the CC series, and goals scored when he was off the ice. Blais talks about him as an All-American, and of course he is one of the captains. Not only performs on the ice but also effective in a formal leadership capacity for a team that is way outperforming last year.

Parise - when fans of other teams said UND needed a "savior" I scoffed. However, how can you quantify Parise's impact, at least perceived by the fan like myself? Monster point getter who makes the players around him better, a guy that Blais said everybody likes, and who has lead others into joining informal on-ice practice sessions. In addition he adds a component where he may have had impact on other recruits coming from Shattuck (i.e. Murray, Smaby etc. I'm speculating here...) - remember Blais comments "everybody wants to play with him".

Notermann - here's a guy I thought was a good defensive forward, a real worker who caused trouble for the other guys. Well, this year he seems to have brought a level of play and ability and scoring punch that has played a significant role on the team's improvement. At one time didn't Blais say that for several games he was their best forward. Not to mention being honorary captain at least one time? This guy has really elevated his impact on the team, it appears.

Honorable Mention:

Bochenski - he has really improved his strength on his skates and brought his scoring along with it. He has proven he is not just a product of Parise, clearly.

Massen - possibly the most improved player on the team. Let's see, about 5 goals and 8 assists all last year and he has more than doubled that already this year, a leader on the team in conference points. Also, very confident puck handler.

Spiewak - Also picked up his offensive game this year while often playing on the "checking" line. Assistant captain responsible for leadership and performance. Another player who has picked up his game.

Schneider - necessary point production from the defensive corp. And a lot of it! Rarely gets beat.

R Hale - Captain, and one of 3 formal captains who have helped create a better work ethic and a winning chemistry on the team.

D. Lundbohm - another significant increase in offensive production

dagies, you posted exactly what I was thinking. You know what that means - we're both brilliant. :)

Seriously though, its really hard to point to a single MVP of this team. David Hale, Bochenski, Parise, Notermann, Spiewak, etc., you can make a case for all of them.

Although there is alot of season left to go, I think we can all agree that this team has undergone a remarkable turnaround from last year. What did that take? It took leadership from upperclassmen embarrassed by the 2001-02 season, guys who wanted to be leaders. It took a number of last year's freshman to significantly elevate their game. And while I don't think this team required a person of Parise's talent level to come in - since it got one anyway, it became necessary that that person have the character of Parise (I think a prima donna would have done more harm than good).

Dagies--Good analysis. However, I think you missed one honorable mention. You could make a case that Matt Jones is the best defenseman on the team, or at least very close to David Hale. He is big, fast, smart, physical, does not take many stupid penalties, is very steady and has some offensive ability as well.

Another way to look at the team MVP is to look at who will be potential all-WCHA picks. Zach Parise is a sure 1st teamer, Brandon Bochenski is a 1st or 2nd teamer, and Hale, Jones and Schneider will all be in contention for the 1st 3 teams. It is very difficult to have more than 2 on the 1st team and 5 overall because there are many good players in the league. CC has Senja and Clarke, Minnesota has Vanek, Paul Martin and Ballard, Mankato has its top line of forwards (Joseph, Abel and Stevenson), St. Cloud has Malone, and Denver has a number of skill players.

:)

dagies, you posted exactly what I was thinking. You know what that means - we're both brilliant. :)

Seriously though, its really hard to point to a single MVP of this team. David Hale, Bochenski, Parise, Notermann, Spiewak, etc., you can make a case for all of them.

Although there is alot of season left to go, I think we can all agree that this team has undergone a remarkable turnaround from last year. What did that take? It took leadership from upperclassmen embarrassed by the 2001-02 season, guys who wanted to be leaders. It took a number of last year's freshman to significantly elevate their game. And while I don't think this team required a person of Parise's talent level to come in - since it got one anyway, it became necessary that that person have the character of Parise (I think a prima donna would have done more harm than good).

usually jk beats me to the punch.

;)

Regarding a team MVP, I think it's similar to a comment Ryan Hale made when I interviewed him for my USCHO article. He said something to the effect that it's difficult to put the C and the A on three jerseys because so many players have stepped into leadership roles this season. By the same token, I find it difficult to consider any one player the MVP. It is, after all, a team sport.

From an outsider: Your defensemen.

They make great outlet passes to get the puck our of the zone and clear rebounds out of the slot as well as any team I've ever seen. Don't take this as a shot, it's an observation, but your goalies (from what I've seen) give up a ton of big rebounds yet very few second opportunities are allowed.

My second vote would be the Parise / Noterman combination. Parise, from what I've read is a rink rat who has transformed the practice attitude of the Sioux. Noterman never takes a shift off and I suspect the rest of the team feeds off their example.