SiouxSports.com Forum

T.J. Oshie & Drew Stafford Named To Inside College Hockey Teams

Yttrium

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me out here, sagard. Minnesota "earns" the privilege of shipping CC to the Michigan regional in 2003 by virtue of beating them at the X, but in 2002, Denver, which won the MacNaughton Cup AND the WCHA Final Five "earns" the right to play Michigan in their own building, while Minnesota had the easier task of playing the Michigan State/CC winner.

By virtue of your argument in 2003, do you not think that the brackets in 2002 should have been switched around and Minnesota should have wound up with the St Cloud/Michigan winner and Denver should have been dealt the Spartan/CC winner?

In '02 if they had done the seedings by PWR, the Gophers would have faced the winner of a Michigan/Harvard game. DU would have probably had a Maine matchup in the 2nd round. The no-travel 9/11 rule was in effect and the brackets went pretty much as PWR determined only with all western teams in the West. That is what re-shuffled the brackets. MSU bowing out to CC was a big break from where I was sitting. They were actually rated higher in PWR than Michigan that year and of course had Ryan Miller. There is no ifs/ands/or buts about DU getting the shaft that season. They appear to have bounced back from the slight however.

The earning in '03 was basically the Gophers weren't going to be a top seed unless they beat CC at the X. When they beat CC, they had rights to the Mariucci regional and CC had to go to the lions den. As good as the Gophers were playing that year at the end, Michigan easily could have beat them.

When you pick it apart you can pretty much find lucky breaks for most championship teams. People typically remember Berkhoel's heriocs in '04 vs. remembering the lucky deflection they had vs. UND or the waived off Maine goal in the Final.

As for the Hauser non-calls, there were non-calls in the OT that went Maines way as well. The weirdest part of the '02 championship was how so many of us Gophs fans made Hauser into a hero. He gave up two soft goals in the Final and certainly tried his best to blow the game with his OT antics.

As for the Hauser non-calls, there were non-calls in the OT that went Maines way as well. The weirdest part of the '02 championship was how so many of us Gophs fans made Hauser into a hero. He gave up two soft goals in the Final and certainly tried his best to blow the game with his OT antics.

Hauser should have been whooped by the Maine players for his blatant hackings with his big stick during the playoffs that season. it was rediculous. I would have loved to been a player on the ice and have that hack hit me with his stick, there would have been a brawl in the championship game. That was one of the direst things I have seen from a goalie in the NCAA playoffs.

On to the breaks, it sure as heck doesn't hurt to be lucky sometimes. DU and Minnesota were lucky in their run and UND might or might not get a break during their run.

I'm the one who can't accept the facts? Does your brother talk to Lucia at least once a week and get inside info like my brother does......................

No.........but, my brothers best friend from high school has a friend that knows a guy whose second cousin's college roomate dated a girl whose brother played mites hockey with a kid who was recruited by the DON. So that makes me an expert on Gopher Hockey. TRUST ME, Johnson won't be a gopher next season.

If I assume 1) that you are between the ages of 24 and 55; 2) that your cousins, friends, and roomates do not deviate more than 2 years from each stated relationship; and 3) run the math backwards based on said connected relationships, then the Don would have had to been recruiting the person with whom you are affiliated with while the Don was still a coach at Colorado College.......How does that make you an expert on Gopher hockey?......I'm not so sure I can trust you........

Hauser should have been whooped by the Maine players for his blatant hackings with his big stick during the playoffs that season. it was rediculous. I would have loved to been a player on the ice and have that hack hit me with his stick, there would have been a brawl in the championship game. That was one of the direst things I have seen from a goalie in the NCAA playoffs.

On to the breaks, it sure as heck doesn't hurt to be lucky sometimes. DU and Minnesota were lucky in their run and UND might or might not get a break during their run.

Your right Hauser was no hero....gave up what HAD to be the worst goal ever in a championship game, that almost turned out to be the game winner.........and yes, he SHOULD have had a penalty called in him in overtime. However, be it right or wrong, penalties are rarely called unless it effects a scoring chance, which his 'chopping' did not (which made it worse in my view). If Koalska hadn't been tripped, he would have had a clean break away.

Breaks......I always say I would rather be lucky than good, and that certainly holds true hockey as well as most sports. Odd bounces, players tripping, you never know.......but at the same time the teams that work the hardest, do seem to be the luckiest.

If I assume 1) that you are between the ages of 24 and 55; 2) that your cousins, friends, and roomates do not deviate more than 2 years from each stated relationship; and 3) run the math backwards based on said connected relationships, then the Don would have had to been recruiting the person with whom you are affiliated with while the Don was still a coach at Colorado College.......How does that make you an expert on Gopher hockey?......I'm not so sure I can trust you........

Ugh, that hurt, ok so maybe I am not.....but I read a lot.

Editor's note: Bold emphasis on "modest" is my own.

Cmon, let's be serious! Modest Gopher fans? I saw a friend of mine yesterday and discussed the game. Here are a few of the better 'excuses' given as to the HC loss (and I'm being totally serious):

1. It wasn't fair that the #1 team in the country had to go play on the road in Grand Forks. The regional should have been at Mariucci.

2. Holy Cross was clearly better than a 15 seed and the Gophers should have played Bemidji State instead.

3. The ice was kept super-sloppy so as to slow down the speed skaters donning the 'M' jerseys.

The best part is #1. I also heard that reason given on Saturday morning by three Gopher fans checking out of their rooms in Grand Forks. Do some people have a clue as to how far in advance these regional sites are picked? Apparently not.

It is sad that some fans are clueless. Everyone has them. They are the same ones yelling like idiots as they are walking out of the building at the opposing fans after their team won. I never understand it.

HC played better and got a few good bounces. What else is there to discuss? I don't accept the lost very well, but can't make excuses why we lost. #3 above is just too funny.

It is sad that some fans are clueless. Everyone has them. They are the same ones yelling like idiots as they are walking out of the building at the opposing fans after their team won. I never understand it.

HC played better and got a few good bounces. What else is there to discuss? I don't accept the lost very well, but can't make excuses why we lost. #3 above is just too funny.

We got beat because HC played better.......plain and simple.......they showed more heart.

It is a shame that some fans (Gopher fans included) simply can't accept that once in while their team lays an egg. Accept it move on....it's over.

#3 is pretty good though...........a nazi conspiracy ??

.........and yes, he SHOULD have had a penalty called in him in overtime. However, be it right or wrong, penalties are rarely called unless it effects a scoring chance, which his 'chopping' did not (which made it worse in my view).

Hauser got a high stick in the Maine players neck and face not once but twice during that little exchange. Re-wind your VCR tape and watch it again. The announcers were stunned that no call was made the second time around.