SiouxSports.com Forum

Most improved player

JESUS,family,rutgers

IMHO, I would say Erik Fabian. He really started to come on strong at the end of last year, but picked up this year where he left off, and continued to improve as a player every weekend. He really solidified himself as a leader on this team this year, and we'll definitely be lucky to have him back next year.

I'd have to give my vote to a number of players from last year to this year. Erik Fabian has really stepped up this year as a leader on the team. A grinder who doesn't score many points, he took charge of the team last spring in that memorable run and left off this year all season long giving 100% on every single shift, mucking it up in the corners, banging away with opposing players, blocking shots, and forechecking extremely hard.

Rylan Kaip, another great example of hard work and positive attitude. Last year he was sidelined with the post-concussion syndrome, never really got an opportunity to get into a groove and had a great attitude and work ethic all season long this year. He created numerous chances, but the puck just seemed to defy him and never went in. He finally was rewarded at the WCHA Final Five with two HUGE goals to help come back to defeat the Badgers!!! He's made some great passes to teammates for goals, scored a couple goals now, has had some awesome chances to score and hit posts or crossbars, even got denied on a penalty shot.

Matt Smaby is an example of true leadership and experience at this level. He really helped those young D come into their own, he's brought along all the freshmen D to the level needed for competing night in and night out in the toughest conference in the country. He has really impacted some games with bone-crushing checks, he leads by example. He works hard, helps out on the power play, does some penalty killing, blocks shots, takes on opposing teams' best players and gives the team an adrenaline rush with his play on defense.

I can't think of any other players who've improved as greatly as Fabian, Kaip or Smaby in my mind unless someone gives a solid explanation to change my mind. That is why these three greats will have my vote for now.

Lots of guys could qualify for this. I'll vote for Jonathan Toews.

with all of the accolaids going to the freshman, i kinda forgot that there were players still here from last year :D

i give my vote to smaby also. He virtually illiminated his "big man in the wcha" penalties from last year, he has completely takin the bulls by the horns and gotten them going in the right direction. It's nice to see that he matured so much over the summer/season knowing he was THE MAN on the blueline. It's a credit to him that those other 5 are playing so well.

I would have to say Ryan Duncan. I really think he has picked up his game from the start off the year. It shows with him earning a spot on the 2nd line. He is not as heralded as some of the other frosh but I really think he has had a good freshman season. A lot better than I expected. I also think Matt Smaby is improved from last year. He has been rock solid this year after battling some inconsistency last year. He really picked it up in the post season last year and has not looked back. Obviously with the way the team has come together this year he was a great choice for captain.

I could agree with these two - Duncan/Toews - but the question was MIP from last season

Sorry, I missed that. Well, with all the freshman on this years team improvement from the start of the season certainly is very relevant.

T.J. Oshie...

From planning on playing in the USHL for a year to get ready for the WCHA to the rightful WCHA RotY.

I certainly was one that thought he could have used a year in the USHL. BOY WAS I WRONG!! I don't think anyone could have predicted that Oshie would have a similar impact that Z. Parise did in his freshman year. I thought that this team would feel the loss of Brady Murray but that has not turned out to be the case.

I feel Drew Stafford is by far the most improved. He is more multidimensional this year. He's a scoring threat when shorthanded, great on special teams, plus he's really started throwing his weight around. He's definitely ready for the next level. Smaby on the other hand was arguably our best defenseman on the ice at the end of last year and IMHO he has slowly progressed to get back to where he was in April of 2005. He still has more work to do on his stickhandling.

I feel Drew Stafford is by far the most improved. He is more multidimensional this year. He's a scoring threat when shorthanded, great on special teams, plus he's really started throwing his weight around. He's definitely ready for the next level. Smaby on the other hand was arguably our best defenseman on the ice at the end of last year and IMHO he has slowly progressed to get back to where he was in April of 2005. He still has more work to do on his stickhandling.

IMO, if Drew Stafford had skated as hard and drove to the net like he did this past weekend ALL YEAR LONG, discussions anywhere regarding the Hobey Baker Award would be about what wall Drew would be storing it along in Gord's house. Or at least where the glass case would sit in the lobby of the REA. Seems that the "lower body injury" served as a HUGE wake-up call. Would love to see him keep it going!

IMO, if Drew Stafford had skated as hard and drove to the net like he did this past weekend ALL YEAR LONG, discussions anywhere regarding the Hobey Baker Award would be about what wall Drew would be storing it along in Gord's house. Or at least where the glass case would sit in the lobby of the REA. Seems that the "lower body injury" served as a HUGE wake-up call. Would love to see him keep it going!

With 13 freshmen, there isn't must to pick from for most improved, but I just feel that with Drew, he has finally stepped up to be what we all expected him to be last year. He's scored as many goals this season as he did in the previous 2 and has 7 shorties. Great numbers considering all the offensive talent this year compared to last. I'm looking for him to play a huge role this year in the FF.

Go SIOUX!

It is a very tough call, last year to this year, but I will go with Prpich, Smaby, and Stafford. Not so much for what they have done on the ice personally, but for the step into the leadership role. The Sioux lost a ton of leadership with last year's graduating class plus Matt Greene leaving. For the Sioux to start the year with so many freshmen and to meld a team of their current capabilities very clearly took some team leadership. Somebody had to welcome the new guys in, make them feel at home, make them feel wanted, make them feel deserving, and most of all: Show them the history, drive, passion, and work ethic that is Sioux Hockey. The leaders of this team had to do all of that, plus try to maintain and improve on their own skills and conditioning. Coaching can only go so far (example: Lucia is a good coach, but Gophers obviously lacked something in team leadership somewhere), and then the team leaders have to take it the rest of the way. These freshmen, to a man, are showing everyone what Sioux Hockey is about.

And they could only have learned that from the upperclassmen on the team.

It is a very tough call, last year to this year, but I will go with Prpich, Smaby, and Stafford. Not so much for what they have done on the ice personally, but for the step into the leadership role.

I totally agree. And I suspect that Hakstol would, too.

:D

Who do you see as the most improved player from last season?

The question states "Who do you see as the most improved player (not players) from last season?" you have to pick one just like Tim Hennessy having to pick three stars to maintain the integrity of the poll. I know it's a tough decision but you have to pick someone in all fairness to Rutgers.

Joe Finley, confidence it seems from the start of the season and the end of the season is night and day

I refuse to say that a freshman can be the most improved player on the team simply because of the fact that there is no other seasons to base the improvement on. However, if we are talking about which freshman has grown the most in terms of his play on the team, I agree with mikeypat15. Joe Finley started out squeamish and almost too hesitant to play the kind of game that Coach Hakstol coaches the defensemen to play. Now, though he's not quite the monster Smaby is quite yet, he's come the farthest among all other players on the team.

As for who is the most improved player on this team? For me, that's easy. Kyle Radke. This guy was brought in heralded. Supposed to be drafted in the 4th or 5th round and instead went undrafted. Then was supposed to instantly start scoring a la Nick Fuher. Didn't happen. He barely cracked the lineup. When he did, he was a liability his freshman year. This year, he's gotten better and better and better and ranks iamong the top of the team in scoring defense. His defensive play has been solid, not spectacular, but certainly worlds better than what little we saw last year. And he's developed an attitude that our D are known for.

If I were to say who was the runner up, it would have to be Rylan Kaip simply because he's worked so darn hard and never gave up even though the guy is the most snake bitten player I've seen offensively since Ryan Hale. His attitude and defensive fortitude will become huge for the team next year as he steps naturally (even Prpich says so) into the role vacated by Mike Prpich.

There are many who stepped up their play this year on the ice and off the ice. In fact, I could come up with a list of the players (known as a roster) and state pretty much why each player on the team deserves this award.

The question states "Who do you see as the most improved player (not players) from last season?" you have to pick one just like Tim Hennessy having to pick three stars to maintain the integrity of the poll. I know it's a tough decision but you have to pick someone in all fairness to Rutgers.

If you're going to get technical and hold me to one player who isn't a freshman, then I'll have to say Matt Smaby. :D