SiouxSports.com Forum

Bismarck State

RD17

There was an interesting article in Sunday's Bismarck Tribune about the possibility of BSC becoming a 4-year school in the near future. This is certainly interesting in light of the current strains on higher ed. funding in ND.

The only way I can see this being feasible is to shut down Mayville and Valley City (which I know is easier said than done) and then allow BSC to become a 4-year institution. Thoughts?

There was an interesting article in Sunday's Bismarck Tribune about the possibility of BSC becoming a 4-year school in the near future. This is certainly interesting in light of the current strains on higher ed. funding in ND.

The only way I can see this being feasible is to shut down Mayville and Valley City (which I know is easier said than done) and then allow BSC to become a 4-year institution. Thoughts?

North Dakota has a surplus of 4-year schools. I do not think they need another one, unless there's a serious realignment of the current group, e.g., closing some down or reducing some to 2-year "feeder" community colleges for UND and 'SU. I recall Bismarck had the option in the late 1800s of getting a state prison or a land-grant college that would become 'SU ... let them lay in their own bed. ;)

This state really needs to take a hard, honest look at Bottineau, Mayville, Valley City, Williston, and Lake Region. With outreach and distance education capabilities already in place it's hard to justify keeping those.

And I wonder how Dickinson State would come through (enrollment-wise) BSC becoming BSU.

This state really needs to take a hard, honest look at Bottineau, Mayville, Valley City, Williston, and Lake Region. With outreach and distance education capabilities already in place it's hard to justify keeping those.

And I wonder how Dickinson State would come through (enrollment-wise) BSC becoming BSU.

Heck, I'd be just as worried about NDSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see a loss of 1000 students as we get a lot of kids from that way.

If BSC/U provided a well-rounded undergraduate curriculum and a few master's programs AND continue to provide vocational coursework they could reach 5,000 in my opinion, with 4,000 a near certainty.

If you make some sort of adjustment to Bismarck State taking in consideration that it is only a 2 year school.. it would easily put Bismarck State into the number 3 slot.

Hey, sign them up for the NCC. They are starting to look like our best option.

I agree with IowaBison... I think Bismarck State would pretty easily have 4,000+ students if it became a 4-year school. With the demographics in ND and the trends in online and distance learning I think it only makes sense to have universities in the four major cities, with a couple of 2-year schools and everything else shut down. But like I said before, changing the state constitution to get this done might be next to impossible. :love: