SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews goal on ESPN

fargosioux

I'm curious how a kid who's still 17 at this time of year is in college; most high-school seniors are 18 at this time of year.

You said it yourself: "at this time of year." He has a late birthday, that's all.

Having a late b-day, and graduating a year early makes for a REALLY young college freshman. Yet he's still tearing it up at the D1 level. Amazing.

I'm curious how a kid who's still 17 at this time of year is in college; most high-school seniors are 18 at this time of year.

He accelerated his schooling and graduated early. I have no idea how one goes about doing that, but he's one of two "freshmen" on the Sioux (Joe Finley is the other) who has done this. Another player who did it was Drew Stafford.

I wouldn't trade Oshie for a million Kessels........

So.....a team made up of Mini Oshies......could they beat the Gophers?

I wouldn't trade Oshie for ANYONE in the country right now. What he brings to the table, absolutely nobody else in college hockey does. An elite package of scoring, passing, HITTING, and defensive zone play....I haven't seen a player like him for a loooong time. And hell, anyone could beat the gophers this past weekend, so a team of Mini Oshies would beat them at least 10-0.

i've been trying to figure out that too, with stafford also, considering how many years of highschool hockey hey played. i read somewhere that toews went to shattuck at 15, played for 2 years(or something) and i got really confused. ;) im totally lost on that subject. he will still be 17 after the season's over too( late arpil bday). i think its pretty damn cool how he came to UND and is as good as he is.

He accelerated his schooling and graduated early. I have no idea how one goes about doing that, but he's one of two "freshmen" on the Sioux (Joe Finley is the other) who has done this. Another player who did it was Drew Stafford.

so did they skip a grade or something? cuz thats the only thing i can think of that would fit the scenario.

No, they actually put in the extra time to accelerate their schooling to graduate a year early. That's tough work folks. Toews and Finley both did it, and I believe Stafford did that as well. I believe they basically did two years of schoolwork in one year just to get done early.

Zach Parise actually skipped a grade rather than accelerating his schooling.

I thought Drew also skipped a grade rather than accelerating. Whatever our young (really this applies to all our boys) amazing athletes did to get to the D1 level as young as they did, it highlights their dedication, work ethic and love of the game!!

Dam@, we are some lucky Fighting Sioux Hockey fans!!! ;)

so did they skip a grade or something? cuz thats the only thing i can think of that would fit the scenario.

Toews is from Canada and was born in 1988 which means that kids born in 1988 are his peers. You don't normally have someone born in 1987 in the same grade as someone born in 1988 Canada. The only way that happens is if the kid was held back or his parents specifically requested that their kid be started later when they first start school. Toews is probably more than 8 to 10 months younger than a lot of kids that are still in Grade 12 in the US. He was born in April. He will likely be the youngest player on next year's team as well.

Toews did 3 years of high school in 2 years at Shattuck. He was a straight A student in Canada and was obviously a good student at Shattuck as well.

Toews is a very special person not just a hockey player. He is a student of the game and has obviously adjusted very well. This is not unexpected by those people that know Jon. Enjoy the kid while you have him. He will more than likely be back next year but only because of his age not his talent.

Toews is from Canada and was born in 1988 which means that kids born in 1988 are his peers. You don't normally have someone born in 1987 in the same grade as someone born in 1988 Canada. The only way that happens is if the kid was held back or his parents specifically requested that their kid be started later when they first start school. Toews is probably more than 8 to 10 months younger than a lot of kids that are still in Grade 12 in the US. He was born in April. He will likely be the youngest player on next year's team as well.

Toews did 3 years of high school in 2 years at Shattuck. He was a straight A student in Canada and was obviously a good student at Shattuck as well.

Toews is a very special person not just a hockey player. He is a student of the game and has obviously adjusted very well. This is not unexpected by those people that know Jon. Enjoy the kid while you have him. He will more than likely be back next year but only because of his age not his talent.

Do you have any ties to Jon, because you know a lot about him.

I thought Drew also skipped a grade rather than accelerating. Whatever our young (really this applies to all our boys) amazing athletes did to get to the D1 level as young as they did, it highlights their dedication, work ethic and love of the game!!

Dam@, we are some lucky Fighting Sioux Hockey fans!!! ;)

I heard Stafford did skip a grade--means he's got brains too.

Do you have any ties to Jon, because you know a lot about him.

Not related and I have never coached Jon nor do I stand to gain in anyway shape or form if Jon makes it big some day. I have ties to several people that have coached or played with Jon and I know based on their comments what a tremendous young man he is. Bottom line is that "Skill and Will" is what separates Jon and TJ from a lot of other guys.

I don't just comment on Jon by the way. There are other kids that I have suggested through these posts who should be considered as future Fighting Sioux. Again, I may have some insight because I do hear and see a lot of these kids at the rinks and do talk to their coaches and peers from time to time.