SiouxSports.com Forum

State legislature attempts to block D-I money

jimdahl

Background for Rep. Rod Froelich, D-Selfridge, Sponsor of House Bill No. 1356:

Ranching. Bismarck Junior College. North Dakota State University.National Guard 6 years. County commissioner 1994-98. North Dakota local brand inspection. North Dakota Stockmen's Association. American Legion. Past member of Knights of Columbus. Elks. Married. 4 children. Wife's name Kathryn. House since 1999.

Rep. Wald is a co-sponsor, I'll give you that. There's the first sponsor because he gets the mention in his representative's bio.

Here are some more replys to emails sent to various legeslative members from people opposing the bill:

1)I agree , Thanks for the comments

2)Thank you for your input.

3)I could argue with you but I find that I am in full agreement with your position. This bill DISGUSTS me also. It is brought up by two of the biggest Fargo and NDSU haters in the legislature. It has no chance of passing. NDSU is going Division 1 and we are going to ensure that they have every chance to succeed by giving them all the tools necessary to do so.

I thank you for your time and your attention to this matter and I will

keep you up to date on the situation.

GO BISON

4)As an SU grad, I hope the school can go Division I too!

5)Thanks for your comments on HB1356. While both of the sponsors of this bill are fine people, I must disagree with their decision to bring this bill forward. North Dakota DOES need to find bold new ways to market itself to the rest of the country. NDSU's move to D1 athletics is just one of these ways.

I think these comments are all very encouraging. It seems many of the members in the State Legeslature understand the Decision 1 issue in it's proper terms. It goes far beyond NDSU to the local and State levels. It is a reflection of the quality of education available in North Dakota and helps bring focus not only to NDSU but also UND and the other campuses across the State. It is a benefit to all. This has been the basis to the disagreement with the provincial arguments against Decision 1 that have been for the most part originating in Grand Forks and UND.

An NDSU guy sponsored the bill, and yes, I'm backing away from it (because of local control issue and the appearance of reversing itself that it would cause the Legislature).

And are you really sure that all this isn't just another well-coordinated aspect of The Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy? ;):p:)

Not having The Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy there to blame for all ills that befall NDSU would drive you nuts, wouldn't it?

See ..... ? ;)

Like I said, how do you know that giving the appearance of not conspiring against NDSU isn't part of The Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy?

Come on WYO, that should make you :)

Here are the results from the totally unscientific daily poll done by the Fargo Forum.

Do you support a bill that would bar using state money or increasing student fees to pay for Division 1 athletics?

Yes - 64%

No - 30%

I'm not sure - 6%

Let the debate continue!!! :)

Maybe some people should read disclaimers:

This poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those Internet users who have chosen to participate. The results cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of Internet users in general, nor the public as a whole.

Kinda like Yao Ming starting in the All-Star game.

Ballot stuffing :);)