SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating at the Regionals

siouxguyinstpaul

We won't have WCHA officials this weekend will we? And if not, whom do we get and how would they differ from our regular crew?

I'd say ECAC or Hockey East refs since WCHA and CCHA are playing in our game. If I remember correctly, they tend to call things tighter than what we're used to (yes, tighter). We'll have to play a very disciplined game of hockey to stay out of the box.

Someone I work with here in Boston said his friend is an ECAC ref who is flying out to GF to officiate this weekend.

Now we are in trouble. I actually would rather have the WCHA refs than the EZAC and AHA refs, we don't know what we are getting into with refs from the other leagues. At least we know what we get with the WCHA refs.

All I gotta say about East Officials is that watch out they call TONS!! of penaltys! I mean am i right. from what i have seen as a fan they dont let the players play physical. im not dissin the refs but am i right or am i seeing things.

I have seen that too when I have watched college hockey CSTV. I guess UND better get ready to kill some penalties.

Vaht? headscratch.gifshrug.gif

You gotta speak dem dere Norveegun street talkin' ja?

I think what he's trying to say is that Prpich needs to play disciplined.

Here's the pros and cons of ECAC/HEA officials:

Pros:

1. They are more consistent than WCHA officials.

2. They take NCAA crackdowns as something that MUST be followed (instead of optional like WCHA officials)

3. They acknowledge that diving is indeed a penalty and that it can be called independently from a matching minor.

4. They are objective. They haven't seen any of the teams present long enough to have possibly formed any prejudice towards any team.

Cons:

1. They are consistent in calling EVERYTHING

2. May not favor the more physical teams

3. An unknown quantity. WCHA officials may suck but at least we know what kind of crap we're getting ourselves into when we read who's officiating.

4. From what I've seen, HEA/ECAC officials are similar in calling styles to CCHA officials, so this may favor Michigan.

We need to look back to our series vs. MSU, Miami, and UNH and plan for our games to be called similarly. Playing with discipline isn't a new concept. We have to play with it whether we have WCHA officials or whatever.

Having refs from another league that may call things tighter could be a real thorn in the Sioux side this weekend. Assuming MN and the Sioux can manage their Friday games, the Sioux cannot afford to take a slew of penalties against MN. MN's power play is just too good to give too many chances to, and frankly the Sioux can take too many penalties. They had to kill a lot last year in the NCAA's and I don't know if they can survive the regional in that same situation this year. Hope the boys can continue to play aggressive hockey but stay out of the box.

You gotta speak dem dere Norveegun street talkin' ja?

I think what he's trying to say is that Prpich needs to play disciplined.

Here's the pros and cons of ECAC/HEA officials:

Pros:

1. They are more consistent than WCHA officials.

2. They take NCAA crackdowns as something that MUST be followed (instead of optional like WCHA officials)

3. They acknowledge that diving is indeed a penalty and that it can be called independently from a matching minor.

4. They are objective. They haven't seen any of the teams present long enough to have possibly formed any prejudice towards any team.

Cons:

1. They are consistent in calling EVERYTHING

2. May not favor the more physical teams

3. An unknown quantity. WCHA officials may suck but at least we know what kind of crap we're getting ourselves into when we read who's officiating.

4. From what I've seen, HEA/ECAC officials are similar in calling styles to CCHA officials, so this may favor Michigan.

We need to look back to our series vs. MSU, Miami, and UNH and plan for our games to be called similarly. Playing with discipline isn't a new concept. We have to play with it whether we have WCHA officials or whatever.

Like I said in earlier posts, I have had all the Fox channels all year on Dishnetwork and have watched a lot of college hockey in all parts of the country this year. In MY experience, I will say this in general...

WCHA = inconsistent calling of penalites

HEA/ECAC/Everyone else = consistent calling of penalties and by the book (i.e. checking from behind is checking from behind whether the person gets hurt or not and cross-checking near the boards is cross-checking and not checking from behind)

All in all, and with UND's style of play, I think that we will get more penalties for interference and hooking and calls like that rather than our normal checking from behind and slashing and others that have seemed to haunt us. That being said, I think our D will be more able to play D whereas our smaller forwards had better use their legs more and their sticks less... less they be in the box!

Like I said in earlier posts, I have had all the Fox channels all year on Dishnetwork and have watched a lot of college hockey in all parts of the country this year. In MY experience, I will say this in general...

WCHA = inconsistent calling of penalites

HEA/ECAC/Everyone else = consistent calling of penalties and by the book (i.e. checking from behind is checking from behind whether the person gets hurt or not and cross-checking near the boards is cross-checking and not checking from behind)

All in all, and with UND's style of play, I think that we will get more penalties for interference and hooking and calls like that rather than our normal checking from behind and slashing and others that have seemed to haunt us. That being said, I think our D will be more able to play D whereas our smaller forwards had better use their legs more and their sticks less... less they be in the box!

No team is as cheap/dirty as Mich, with Wisc a close second. Jack Johnson will be in the box more than Matt Greene was last year.

As for MN, we can force their overrated D to take penalties if we go hard with our forecheck and force them to reach/hook/slash/hold.

You guys have already started a thread about the officiating? :D

Interesting point though, as the Sioux have to be one of the more physical teams in the country. I was very surprised by how loosely the games were called in St. Paul. I personally thought there were a lot of penalties in all 5 games that were not called. But, the officiating seemed to be relatively consistent. We'll have to see what happens..

Last year the Sioux took a ton of penalties in the regional. It didn't end up mattering because they just killed them and kept on pounding BU and BC. I'd love to see the Gophers get 10 PP chances vs. the Sioux.

hellofa difference between the bean pot power play and minnesota's power play

beanpot powerplay against the sioux=FINALLY, WE CAN PLAY WITH THEM :ohmy:

minnesota powerplay against anyone=suicide and quick trip home :D

This doesn't have much to do with the officiating this weekend, but it is a true story...

I had a dream early this morning that I was sitting in a class or seminar or something...and a police officer walks in and asks me to step out of the room with him. He then proceeds to hand me a sealed envelope. Inside is a letter from the WCHA commissioner Bruce McCloud asking me to become a referee for the league. It said he saw me playing some intramural hockey game, and my skating ability met the requirements, but I would have to go underground while training to be a ref in order to protect my family. At the bottom of the letter it had a list of the refs from the previous few years. I didn't get to read the whole letter, or accept/decline the offer, because my alarm went off...

Any ideas as to what the rest of the letter would have said? :ohmy:

This doesn't have much to do with the officiating this weekend, but it is a true story...

I had a dream early this morning that I was sitting in a class or seminar or something...and a police officer walks in and asks me to step out of the room with him. He then proceeds to hand me a sealed envelope. Inside is a letter from the WCHA commissioner Bruce McCloud asking me to become a referee for the league. It said he saw me playing some intramural hockey game, and my skating ability met the requirements, but I would have to go underground while training to be a ref in order to protect my family. At the bottom of the letter it had a list of the refs from the previous few years. I didn't get to read the whole letter, or accept/decline the offer, because my alarm went off...

Any ideas as to what the rest of the letter would have said? :)

to re-read your post and think it over before you hit the add reply button!!! :ohmy::(

it probably said that adam and sheppard were to be shot and you were to do it, that's why the protection for you family!! :lol:

Any ideas as to what the rest of the letter would have said? :(

It said : P.S. don't drink the bong water. :ohmy: