SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament pick'em

jimdahl

How does the scoring system work?

I'll post it formally later this afternoon along with announcing PRIZES! But previous years there were two leaderboards:

1) Tournament scoring -- each round is worth twice as much as the previous (strongly rewards getting the Frozen Four / champ right)

2) Simple scoring -- one point per correct pick (more strongly rewards getting first round upsets)

Picks can be modified through Friday, so if the scoring announcements change your strategy there will be plenty of time, I just wanted to get the bracket up and "exercised" ASAP as I sometimes mess up setting it up.

These are the Krach based odds of the teams making it to each round. Krach takes no consideration of home ice for the regional or how well the team is playing at a given moment. If recalculated after the 1st round games UW and UM wouldn't be such dramatic favorites, but the advantage of facing a weak 1st round opponent is large when compared to the rest of the field.

2006krachodds.jpg

Based on the way UND has played for the last month and the home ice regional, I think their chances are decent. But having a potential path of Michigan, Minnesota, BU/Miami, then UW is a tough road.

If I were forced to bet a lot of my money, I'd take UW every time. They look to me to have a very easy road to the championship game with basically home crowd advantage and one team in the top six of KRACH in their path to the championship game.

One of those prizes looks awfully familiar. Did AZSioux have something to do with prizes, or do you guys just have the same connections? :ohmy:

From the above link:

AZSIOUX has offered to give some Sioux-related prizes to the highest scorers.

A long time ago (8 years or so now?) I gave away some prizes for the pick-the-WCHA contest, but haven't been organized enough since to plan in advance. :D

From the above link:

A long time ago (8 years or so now?) I gave away some prizes for the pick-the-WCHA contest, but haven't been organized enough since to plan in advance. :D

You expect me to read that?? I saw the prizes, you know the important things! :D

About a half hour before the first puck drops, picks are closed!

The most interesting stat so far is that SiouxSports.com visitors picked 12 different teams from the field of 16 to win the tournament. No one picked #4 Holy Cross or #4 Bemidji State University to win it all. More surprisingly, no one picked #2 Harvard or #2 Miami, though #4 UNH and #4 UNO were picked! Further, note that 17% and 14% expected #2 Miami and #2 Harvard to reach the Frozen Four, respectively.

Though the #4 seed received the fewest picks to escape its regional in each region, only Holy Cross received no picks to win its region.

Despite the breadth of picks, there was not similar depth. Sioux fans are hopeful, with 70% of the 456 participants guessing UND to win it all (this is historically a modestly hopeful percentage, in contrast to about 50% last year or closer to 85% in 2003-04).

Consensus picks

Leaderboard / laugh at your friend's picks

About a half hour before the first puck drops, picks are closed!

The most interesting stat so far is that SiouxSports.com visitors picked 12 different teams from the field of 16 to win the tournament. No one picked #4 Holy Cross or #4 Bemidji State University to win it all. More surprisingly, no one picked #2 Harvard or #2 Miami, though #4 UNH and #4 UNO were picked! Further, note that 17% and 14% expected #2 Miami and #2 Harvard to reach the Frozen Four, respectively.

Though the #4 seed received the fewest picks to escape its regional in each region, only Holy Cross received no picks to win its region.

Despite the breadth of picks, there was not similar depth. Sioux fans are hopeful, with 70% of the 456 participants guessing UND to win it all (this is historically a modestly hopeful percentage, in contrast to about 50% last year or closer to 85% in 2003-04).

Consensus picks

Leaderboard / laugh at your friend's picks

I didn't realized there were that many registured posters to this board.