SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/DU

siNoDux

I was only able to listen to some of the games, and I didn't watch them, so I was curious about the third period meltdown. Checking the boxscore, these were the Sioux players on the ice for the four third-period goals that preceded the empty-netter.

4,6,19,21 -- 2 freshmen

6,15,19,27 -- 1 freshman

6,19,21,24,26 -- 1 freshman

6,19,24,27 -- 1 freshman

I was trying to figure out whether the young guys cracked under the pressure, and was surprised to see that it was mostly upperclassmen on the ice. Jones and Prpich, two pretty emotional guys, were probably pretty frosted after being out for all four goals.

Not really trying to finger-point. Just checking the facts. I'm sure the guys will be motivated to get it going this weekend.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our effort on Saturday night failed and I have withdrawn from Sensers. My decision to go watch the game at that time and place was based on the best information available. The players, the Sioux, did all that bravery and ability could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone. dagies

Sorry, Ike.

I've seen way too many bad performances at Senser's vs good. I headed down for the last 2 periods and for a while it looked like I wouldn't jinx anything, but then the 3rd period happened.

I don't recall when things started to change in the 3rd period, but it seemed like Denver was all over the Sioux and the Sioux looked a little tired and played without an edge for most of the time. Now maybe this happened after Toews horrible tripping penalty, or maybe it had started earlier and that just helped Denver out. Regardless, though the Sioux and the refs put the Sioux at a penalty disadvantage, I didn't think the Sioux played very well at all down the stretch. Odd man rush after odd man rush......Maybe altitude and fatigue played a role in that 3rd period as well.

Toews tripping penalty has already been adequately discussed. A terrible decision by the youngster that marred an outstanding weekend for him. I'm not sure if that really turned the tide or not, however. It might just have contributed.

The call against Lee was horrible. No wonder the guy won't hit anybody. He finally takes the body on a legit body check and puts his guy down at center ice and get's called for holding? Unreal how bad that one was.

Awesome deflection by Stastny on DU's 3rd goal. How he managed to deflect it from center on top of the crease into the upper right corner was a thing of beauty.

Parise's 4th goal against was stunning. I have no clue what he was doing and I suspect he didn't either. If it's true that he pulled himself after his last goal I'm not surprised. He seemed to be completely off kilter and allowed plenty of net for that shot to go in. He's been so good it's hard to be critical. Hopefully he's back on for his next game. However, the Sioux allowed WAY too many chances against Parise, and if he had been great, I don't know if the outcome would have been very different. I didn't see the first 2 goals, so don't know about those.

REALLY bothers me that we always allow DU satisfaction in the end. They get to 2nd our seasons 2 years in a row, and this year we get Friday's game, and get a bit chippy, and they come back and take the Sat game in a big way and get to walk off with their smug smiles on their faces. Man, that sucks.

I have. Lawson did it earlier this year against UND, IIRC.

Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they don't feel like they've got an edge, like I hope JPar did. Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they were hiding an injury and thought they could play only to aggravate it in the game somehow and have to leave. This I hope is NOT the case.

This was Jordy's first bad game in a VERY long time.

Josh Johnson pulled himself against DU, as well. I don't like it when goalies do that. You stay in there until you're pulled by your coach, unless you're hurt.

I agree with dagies. I am not a fan of DU at all.

I'm not sure on who to root for this weekend in the CC/DU series. While I realize that a split or DU sweep will leave the opportunity for the Sioux to finish 4th, but I would rather almost see CC essentially end DU's season by putting them far back in the PWR rankings. DU could still win the Final Five to make it, but hopefully they are not given that option. :silly:

I'm not sure that the Sioux want to finish 4th right now anyway with the way that the Mavs are playing...I think that I would rather see them play SCSU in the WCHA 1st round, which would also enable them to give some payback for the sweep at the Ralph.

I couldn't agree more.

EDIT: After watching the replays of Paukovitch's hits from behind, it's clear that he's learned a lot since hitting Bina.

Lesson A: When checking a smaller player (i.e. Oshie) from behind, grab him around the neck and pull his head up so he doesn't go head-first into the boards. This maneuver has the added advantage of enabling you to drive the player's head into the ice as you're falling on top of him. This is a mere two-minute minor penalty.

Lesson B: Checking players from behind who are bigger than you (i.e. Finley) won't result in a penalty. Unfortunately for Paukovich, Finley's one of the few players in college hockey bigger than he is.

He has also learned how to draw them.

Lesson 1: When on the boards with the puck look to see who is coming to hit you. At the last second, turn you back towards them.

Lesson 2: After impact throw yourself face-first into the boards. With as little movement as possible, slide onto the ice and remain motionless until you hear the whistle and the offending party cuss or guffaw.(REMEMBER TO NOT PEAK AT THE REF UNTIL YOU HEAR THE WHISTLE).

Lesson 3: Skate back to the bench and wink at Gwoz, a great teacher.

The beauty of turning toward the hit is that the offending party can't adjust their momentum in time to avoid the collision, thereby turning a good legal hit into a major and a gamer. Pauk used this strategy at least twice against the Gophers. Earl was jealous. ;):silly:

I caught that also. I guess it was kind of an eye opener for me. The guys officiating for the WCHA are the ones who can't make it anywhere else. It's no wonder they are terrible.

Not a stinging endorsement of the officials in our league is it. Don Adam has or had a school on officating. I wonder if he teaches his students about making it up as he goes along.

We were lucky enough to take in the weekend series at the Magness. Great series. Great Friday night win by the Sioux. Great comeback on Saturday from being down 2-0 to take a 3-2 lead. Then, the DU rally.

JPar let in a soft one, but Anderson was letting him get run by the DU goons left and right. There were probably two or three goals that he should have looked at on replay, but did not. The third period penalty against Toews was a joke. Both players went into the boards in DU's defensive end. Both were getting up. Toews stick got in the way and the DU player took a dive. The Lee interference call was just bs. The Sioux were laying some bonecrushing hits on the Pioneers and it seems like each one was drawing a whistle.

Before the game, Anderson was seen kissing and making up with Gwoz. We were close enough to hear George tell Anderson that he sure wished that he could get over him, or something like that. Remember their tiff from the night before when Gwoz threw the fit and Anderson tossed him. Well, old Andy made sure that the Pioneers were given every chance to hang in there on Saturday night for the split. What can you say? What can you do? The Sioux have no reason to hang their heads over that split.

The Sioux were given a chance with the 5x3 for about 90 seconds at around the five minute mark. Couldn't convert then, when the score was 5-3. Game-O.

What aggravates me most is the smugness of the DU program, from Gwoz, to the players, to many of the fans on down. I have little doubt that Gwoz teaches the "turn the back" and "take the dive when the stick is near your feet" approaches to going on the power play. Not saying it is either right or wrong, just pretty clear that that is what is preached.

As for JPar pulling himself, it looked like Hak was a bit surprised, but probably understood. My read on it is that JPar was through getting run and pushed around, and figured that if Anderson was not going to blow a whistle to protect the goalie, then JPar was better getting off the ice before he took the head of some DU goon right off of his shoulders.

I hope that we see these clowns again in the Final Five.

All in all, a fun series. Great Sioux crowd. Solid Sioux effort. There is no shame in garnering a split on the road, especially when a very capable DU squad was facing "season over" on Saturday. They responded in top fashion, with the help of Anderson, who probably had taken a third period call from Shephard, who probably had taken a third period call from McLeod.

The third period penalty against Toews was a joke. Both players went into the boards in DU's defensive end. Both were getting up. Toews stick got in the way and the DU player took a dive. The Lee interference call was just bs. The Sioux were laying some bonecrushing hits on the Pioneers and it seems like each one was drawing a whistle.

I appreciate your view of the situation and your unimpeachable optimism at all times, NDH, but they showed a nice replay of the Toews penalty on tv from a camera right in the corner where it happened and Toews absolutely meant to trip the guy. I hate to say it, but it was just a dumb play on his part. The only time this year I can say that, which isn't bad for a freshman, but thems the facts.

I appreciate your view of the situation and your unimpeachable optimism at all times, NDH, but they showed a nice replay of the Toews penalty on tv from a camera right in the corner where it happened and Toews absolutely meant to trip the guy. I hate to say it, but it was just a dumb play on his part. The only time this year I can say that, which isn't bad for a freshman, but thems the facts.

Yep, that's the way I saw it too. He's a youngster yet. Live and learn.

10-4. I was a stretch away from the play as it was in the far corner, across from the bench.

I'll accept the facts most any day.