SiouxSports.com Forum

UNH and Music Controversy

MafiaMan

Black Betty no more at UNH Hockey Games

OK, not directly related to Sioux hockey or the Sioux nickname, but another interesting article on PC battles going on.

You just can't make this stuff up anymore...

In another interesting side-note, the Minnesota Wild no longer play Gary Glitter's famous song after a goal is scored. The new song sounds a bit like the "whoa oh oh" song the Rangers play when they score.

:)

Black Betty no more at UNH Hockey Games

OK, not directly related to Sioux hockey or the Sioux nickname, but another interesting article on PC battles going on.

You just can't make this stuff up anymore...

In another interesting side-note, the Minnesota Wild no longer play Gary Glitter's famous song after a goal is scored. The new song sounds a bit like the "whoa oh oh" song the Rangers play when they score.

The song was written by blues legend Huddie Ledbetter, whom last time I checked, was very much black himself. I wonder how he would feel having his song banned as "potentially offensive". I suppose they will ban any song written by Leadbelly, including covers by Led Zepplin, Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

The song was written by blues legend Huddie Ledbetter, whom last time I checked, was very much black himself. I wonder how he would feel having his song banned as "potentially offensive". I suppose they will ban any song written by Leadbelly, including covers by Led Zepplin, Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

jloos, I just have to say it, since The Family Guy is one of my all-time favorite TV shows: giggity giggity...all riiiiiiight!

But two members of the school's Black Student Union are happy the song is gone. Senior Stefanie Hauck and junior Ola Akinwumi said blacks were considered inferior in the United States when the song was written, and the song has no connection to athletics or hockey.

"If you look at it, basically the whole audience at these games is Caucasian," Hauck said. "For them to be singing a song like Black Betty, it doesn't make sense. It is kind of derogatory."

I'm so naive that I never associated "Black Betty" with skin color. Just never thought of it that way. For me it was a reference to her disposition as much as it could have been anything else. It just never occured to me to think otherwise. I've loved that song from WAY back.

Ever since I heard of this controversy, however, there's only one way I've thought of that reference. Thank you so much to those who decided to make this into something "important".

The song is about a sexy lady who happens to be black. It would make more sense to me if the 'Holy Roller' faction objected to the song as to "provovative'. Geeze!

Whoa oh Mexican Sioux-cia, bam a lam...whoa oh Mexican Sioux-cia, bam a lam...

Oh forget it. Just doesn't have the same ring to it. I need more cowbell!

I'm so naive that I never associated "Black Betty" with skin color. Just never thought of it that way. For me it was a reference to her disposition as much as it could have been anything else. It just never occured to me to think otherwise. I've loved that song from WAY back.

Ever since I heard of this controversy, however, there's only one way I've thought of that reference. Thank you so much to those who decided to make this into something "important".

Yeah, I always thought it was about a raven haired beauty, you know, somebody like Betty Page perhaps.