SiouxSports.com Forum

chix with stix

YaneA

What do you guys know about plans to take the women's team to Division I next season?  I asked the question in the women's

hockey forum on USCHO and nobody knew much.

I've heard Tim Hennessey say that it's too much too soon and that lawyers are already in position to make a Title IX test case

out of what will surely be, compared with the men, an under-funded, under-resourced women's program.  I know the school is looking

for a coach for the women's team.  Women's hockey in general will certainly get another bounce of enthusiasm if the USA team kicks ice in Salt Lake.  

I haven't watched the club team play but I'd be interested in supporting a varsity squad.  Would it be a good idea or a bad one for

the women's home games to be played at 5 p.m. on the same day as the men, just for the exposure?  Could the women's team use

the Olympic sheet at Engelstad as home ice?  Would they need more than 500 seats?  Anyone know many fans the club team has drawn?

The women's team already has its own locker room in the new Engelstad.  It is very nice and very similar to the men's except there is no sauna and no hot tub.  Also, the women's coaching staff have their offices on ice level, whereas Blais and his staff have their offices on the suite level, right above the arena staff offices.

Wantaugh,

What did Tim say that dug himself a hole? I think there are many people that agree with his point of view.

The facts are that womens NCAA hockey around the country at the gate has been a bust and a money drain, at BSU for example are drawing about 135 people a game, is UND going to be that much more successful than BSU. SCSU is trying to find a way to kill their womens program because it is a money drain.

Sueing to get the same sized wirl pool and lockerroom is a jessie jackson type shake down. Is Bush League, Unexceptable. That is so like the mentality of the UND-Fraud.Com crowd. Sue, Sue, Sue, it doesn't matter if there any merits to the case or not...

I think Hennessey was warning against the dangers of insistence upon "formal equality" between the men's and women's program.

No expert, mind you, but the formal equality philosophy deals with, as you said, complaints like "the men's locker room is 4 square feet larger than the women's; thus, it's not equal; the men get X number of scholarships, the women get X - 1, therefore it's not equal, etc."

Huge discussion on Title IX over on the USCHO website message board reminds me that once again I don't know what the #### I'm talking about.  People associated with men's sports--mostly wrestling--have filed a Title IX suit indicating that schools are discriminating on the basis of sex by cutting the less glamourous MEN'S programs rather than adding woman's sports. These anecdotes make my argument that schools will keep financially weak programs of whatever gender because there's non-monetary value in having them seem kinda weak.    

Siouxfan@Boston,

Wasn't BU football team pretty good too? I can remember when they did that I am surprised a Divison one school would cut football, espeically when they are supposed to be the big revenue sport.

Has there been any talk about bringing football back?

Quote: from Goon on 8:01 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

Siouxfan@Boston,

Wasn't BU football team pretty good too? I can remember when they did that I am surprised a Divison one school would cut football, espeically when they are supposed to be the big revenue sport.

Has there been any talk about bringing football back?

Minnesota's football team is a money loser, with men's bouncyball and hockey as the two top money generators.  If the football team is a winner, it is going to generate money for any school, not sure if BU's team was very good its last years or so. And it might help Minnesota to actually play in a real stadium not that #### bubble ...

Goon -- I haven't heard anything lately about BU starting up the football program again soon.  I didn't follow the team so will have to check around to see if they were good or not.    

But, hey -- did you watch the B's against the Senators tonight?  If not, be sure to watch the highlights on ESPN.   Major melee on the ice -- even Dafoe got into it (and then he was outta there)!  Fun to watch (and luckily it doesn't look like Lord Byron hurt himself or anything)!!