SiouxSports.com Forum

Savages no more

PCM

From NewsOK.com:

Southeastern name now the Savage Storm

DURANT - The Southeastern Oklahoma State University athletic teams will become known as the Savage Storm, the NCAA Division II school announced Friday.

The former nickname, Savages, was dropped upon approval of the new name by the Board of Regents of Oklahoma Colleges at its monthly meeting.

Southeastern had previously removed the word "Savages," as well as any arrows and feathers from its uniforms. Friday's action will complete the removal of Native American designations that could be found offensive.

The use of "Storm" has been popular among universities that previously changed nicknames. St. John's University changed from the Redmen to the Red Storm in 1995 and Southern Nazarene in Bethany switched from Redskins to Crimson Storm in 1998.

"The alumni have a special feeling toward 'Savages.' It stood for a lot more than just the Choctaw Nation," said John Massey, a Southeastern alumnus and longtime fan. "At the games, we always yell, 'Go Savages, Go!' Now it will be, 'Go Savage Storm, Go!' It will twist our tongues a little bit."

I'm not sure why SE Oklahoma State would feel the need to change their name if they'd removed all American Indian symbols and references from their uniforms. The word "savage" doesn't apply only to American Indians. The NCAA allowed Merrimack to remain the Wariors because it did away with Indian references.

In any case, I thought that using the name "savages" to honor an American Indian tribe was too much of a stretch. SEOSU did the right thing by changing the name, but I'm not sure that Savage Storm is a good nickname for a school in tornado alley.

From NewsOK.com:

Southeastern name now the Savage Storm

I'm not sure why SE Oklahoma State would feel the need to change their name if they'd removed all American Indian symbols and references from their uniforms. The word "savage" doesn't apply only to American Indians.

I know a group of day-care attendees who will be emotionally devastated when they hear of the name change. ???

I know a group of day-care attendees who will be emotionally devastated when they hear of the name change. ???

Good grief. Maybe we can come up with something ever more sinister like "Savage Tsunami" or "Savage Jihad". This further proves how ridiculous the NCAA is. Going a step further, maybe the NFL could suggest changing the New Orleans Saints name to New Orleans Gigantic Flood or New Orleans Rampaging Waters. :lol:

Good grief. Maybe we can come up with something ever more sinister like "Savage Tsunami" or "Savage Jihad". This further proves how ridiculous the NCAA is. Going a step further, maybe the NFL could suggest changing the New Orleans Saints name to New Orleans Gigantic Flood or New Orleans Rampaging Waters. :lol:

Actually I like the Savage Jihad. Under certain guidelines, anyone who voices their objection could be labelled terrorists :sad:

As for New Orleans, I like Pat Robertson's suggestion: The New Orleans Fighting Heathens or perhaps The New Orleans Rampaging Atheists.

From the Associated Press:

School's Name Change Doesn't Satisfy Some

Some American Indian groups say Southeastern Oklahoma State officials made a poor decision when they changed the school's nickname from the Savages to the Savage Storm.

"It remains a slap in the face to all Native Americans and needs to be retired along with other images deemed racially harmful," said Cindy Martin, a member of the Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism.

There are some people who can't be pleased any of the time. Apparently American Indians now have the exclusive right to the word "savage."

This is an example of why it's hard to understand the opposition to the nickname in the first place. It's like protest for the sake of protest. Finding offense where there is none.

This is probably why there is a protest.

savage (noun)

1 : a person belonging to a primitive society

2 : a brutal person

3 : a rude or unmannerly person

I agree.

It must have been the people that thought of the name in the first place. (those racists!) Seeing as the "Savages" proponents argue that "Savages" honors Native Americans.....

http://www.sosu.edu/lib/mascot.htm

You said it, not me.

How could you possibly associate "Savages" with Native Americans when the logo design includes arrows and feathers and the mascot is a "Spirit Pony" (and was previously a Human Native American caricature)? How they get to that association is beyond me (sarcasm).

It must have been the people that thought of the name in the first place. (those racists!) Seeing as the "Savages" proponents argue that "Savages" honors Native Americans.....

http://www.sosu.edu/lib/mascot.htm

You said it, not me.

How could you possibly associate "Savages" with Native Americans when the logo design includes arrows and feathers and the mascot is a "Spirit Pony" (and was previously a Human Native American caricature)? How they get to that association is beyond me (sarcasm).

Dudette, how do you associate "Savage Storm" with American Indians when there is no imagery used? That was my point.

You're a bit behind in the debate. Perhaps if you read the links posted in the thread and looked at information that wasn't five years old, you'd have a better idea of what's being discussed.

You're a bit behind in the debate. Perhaps if you read the links posted in the thread and looked at information that wasn't five years old, you'd have a better idea of what's being discussed.

PCM, For having a "real" job, you sure waste of hell of a lot of time posting things in here, on grant time too, no less. tsk tsk tsk.....I would hate to see you get in trouble with the people paying your wages if they knew you were wasting their time/money on a dying subject.

As for Savages, we didn't "coin" the term. Do your history, you'll see that infiltrators as far back as 1492 coined the term.

PCM, For having a "real" job, you sure waste of hell of a lot of time posting things in here, on grant time too, no less. tsk tsk tsk.....I would hate to see you get in trouble with the people paying your wages if they knew you were wasting their time/money on a dying subject.

You should think twice if you and KtF are going to continue to make such threats. As has been pointed out, it's a two-edged sword.

As for Savages, we didn't "coin" the term. Do your history, you'll see that infiltrators as far back as 1492 coined the term.

Which has nothing to with anything being discussed in this thread. But thanks for trying.

PCM- I refer you to the conversation I had with Sioux-cia a while back.

Notice in this thread how GK simply came on this thread and made veiled threats to you're livelihood? That's like calling people names. It is just as effective. So, GK came onto the thread already admitting defeat and making a reference to Columbus was his only way of trying to make a comeback.

In this issue, at least, the comeback is simply to oppose us because he doesn't like us rather than any real objection to the issue in the article. After all, they changed their name and dropped their logo (and mascot if they had one). GK has nothing left to complain about in this case.

you sure waste of hell of a lot of time posting things in here, on grant time too, no less. tsk tsk tsk.....I would hate to see you get in trouble with the people paying your wages

I don't know how to make this more clear -- everyone needs to stop attacking other posters personally and keep the discussion about the topic. Raising personal discussions about or identifying other posters uninvited is grounds for suspension.

Sigh, arguing for the sake of arguing without the facts. Why even bother responding to KnowtheFacts when obviously she doesn't? :p As you pointed out, had she even bothered to read the first posts, she would have had no comment.

AD HOMINEN!!

I don't know how to make this more clear -- everyone needs to stop attacking other posters personally and keep the discussion about the topic. Raising personal discussions about or identifying other posters uninvited is grounds for suspension.

With all due respect, Admin dude, but GK and to a somewhat lesser extent, KtF have been attacking posters on this board for weeks on end and they've avoided suspension.

It's all his following can do right now is name call. I'm tired of it. If GK has a valid point, he's yet to state it.

Dudette, how do you associate "Savage Storm" with American Indians when there is no imagery used? That was my point.

I see what you're saying. And I think some colleges are doing some weird and interesting things to not exactly change their name (ie Red Men and now Savage Storm)

I dont know all about this situation, and from up here Savage Storm seems like a good compromise.

Your comment that I replied to had to do with the word Savages - not savage storm.

I think we view this situation from a different context and culture. Because here in North Dakota, where there is no racism, there is truly no association with the word Savages and Native Americans.

However, the region that this school is in has clearly created an association with the word "Savages" and Native Americans (where before, "there may have been none". Before- meaning pre-settlement of America. As GK pointed out - Savages is a term used by Christopher Columbus in his description of the people he met when he came to this continent).

later Dude

With all due respect, Admin dude, but GK and to a somewhat lesser extent, KtF have been attacking posters on this board for weeks on end and they've avoided suspension.

It's all his following can do right now is name call. I'm tired of it. If GK has a valid point, he's yet to state it.

Hey keep me out of this, I apologized.