SiouxSports.com Forum

WJC is Hostile and Abusive in Canada!

WJCFAN

The US "star" should be disappointed with his output, but no more so or less so than the rest of his team.

I disagree, Oshie most likely did everything, and more, the coaches were expecting from him. So, while he's disappointed in the team outcome, he should feel good about his contribution. If everyone would have exceeded expectations like Oshie did, it would have been a cakewalk. If some would have just met expectations, we would have won.

Back in the 2004 WJC when the Americans won the Championship, the US "Star" wasn't a disappointment. He was name the top forward, 1st tournament team, and the Tournament MVP. That's the type of performance that's needed out of the "star" player.

I wasn't trying to totally come down on Toews, but from great sources, he wouldn't talk to any of the Sioux players. Imagine how it felt to be in that tournament and get booed everytime you touch the puck or someone nearly hits you? I know for a fact that several of the players felt it was bush league for Toews to ignore them all week. Team Canada is for 2 weeks, Fighting sioux hockey is a band of brothers for years. I still like Toews but think that it is immaturity for him to not come up with something better than, "I just didn't want to give him the time of day". All I'm saying.

Or maybe I'm having trouble shaking the abuse from Canadians! :D

I'll feel better after we sweep Minnesota!

This tournament was something that Toews had dreamed about being a part of. Also, by winning the gold, the team has probably formed a brothership with one another that will follow for years. They'll continue to play against one another in their respective leagues that they play in, but still be able to share the memories of those two weeks. Toews will also have this in the future with members of the Sioux. They are all part of a family. He's a 17 year old freshman, who just had one of his dreams fulfilled. The comment occurred regarding something that happened in a faceoff circle. Hardly the time to start a full fledge conversation. I think his silence told Oshie that he was focused on this game, and focused on winning the game. It would have been bush-league had he made some negative comment back to him, but that never occurred.

I don't doubt that your experience in Vancouver wasn't a positive one. Many of us listened to or watched every US game, and we heard the crowd's feelings for the US. Do I lose any sleep over it? No. I know I live in a great country, and wouldn't trade that for anything. I'm sure that most Canadians feel the same way about their country. The one thing that bothered me is that your post seemed to classify all Canadians as being disespectful towards the US, which isn't true. Yes, Vancouver fans did show disrespect, and yes, some Canadian fans in GF last year did the same. However, we have some class act Canadians who visit and post on this board on a regular basis, who feel embarrassed about the actions of their fellow countrymen. They've stated that several times since the tournament began and ended. Let's give them the respect that they deserve and not classify all Canadian's as being bad, simply because of the actions of some Canadians.

Back in the 2004 WJC when the Americans won the Championship, the US "Star" wasn't a disappointment. He was name the top forward, 1st tournament team, and the Tournament MVP. That's the type of performance that's needed out of the "star" player.

Let's just hope the US "star" returns for one more shot at the WJC Gold. It is a true shame Oshie couldn't have put off his birth by a couple weeks, he clearly would have been wearing a "C" next year.

Do any of you posters know anything about the "Can-Am Cup" games? I don't know if they presently continue the tradition, but I have to believe that they do. I am most familiar with some of the games played in the mid to late 80's. They were competitions between members of Sioux hockey teams (Canadians vs Americans -- I don't know who would claim Spirko) and they could become quite high-spirited contests. They were usually played during times like long layoffs (Christmas or Thanksgiving), or between players left in GF when the team was playing a road game. These games were very competitive, but I don't think they ever were mean-spirited or based on controversial political attitudes of the countries involved.

From what I read about Toews-Oshie, etc., nothing is out of line there and nothing more should be made of it. I'm pretty sure that the players understand, so why try to make sometime controversial out of it. Now, they are all Fighting Sioux hockey teammates, and that's all that should matter.

I'm curious about this too, I asked a few weeks ago. This game is famous for having scoring forwards like Matt Greene and Karl Goering and designating NW Minnesota as Canada (a half truth)... :D

Let's just hope the US "star" returns for one more shot at the WJC Gold. It is a true shame Oshie couldn't have put off his birth by a couple weeks, he clearly would have been wearing a "C" next year.

No doubt about it. Kessel may have been the best scorer the US had, but Oshie played the best IMO.

No doubt about it. Kessel may have been the best scorer the US had, but Oshie played the best IMO.

I disagree. Kessel led the team in points. Bourque was probably the best scorer, due to Norway. I do agree though that Oshie played well above anyone else on the team throughout the majority of the tournament.

I do agree though that Oshie played well above anyone else on the team throughout the majority of the tournament.

Offense yes, but I would have to say that Erik Johnson on D also looked very good. Maybe Oshie was still better, but not well above.

I disagree, Oshie most likely did everything, and more, the coaches were expecting from him. So, while he's disappointed in the team outcome, he should feel good about his contribution. If everyone would have exceeded expectations like Oshie did, it would have been a cakewalk. If some would have just met expectations, we would have won.

Green is the color of envy. Coincedence? I think not.

11>1

and for crying out loud...so the Canadians were jerks! :D GET OVER IT!! Just because they weren't cheering for you....you cry like a bunch of babies! We were favored....we BLEW IT...and frankly deserved what we got! I'll offer my solution again....get your friends together and SCREAM LOUDER!!

Virg's article in the herald today was a major whine! UND can only WISH to have a house full of die-hard fans like the Canadians are! That would make the new Ralph as hostile to every other WCHA team as the old Ralph was. How many people who are bitching about the Canadians rudeness would join right in if UND hockey players were on the ice? I still hear "YOU SUCK s&!t" from the students at the new Ralph - that's "REAL CLASS!" also... :0 Stop being the pot calling the kettle black!

Could not agree more.

In listening to XM 204 Bob McKensie (sp) from the XM hockey channel and he basically said the Phil Kessel stock dropped from his in the WJC. Basically Bob said that he thought Kessel was over rated.

Rick, I may be wrong, but I think the "US Star" Sagaard was referring to was phil "the thrill". I do agree with you though that TJ has nothing to feel bad about. As far as the undeachievers are concerened, sooner or later you are exposed for exactly what you are, don't think for a minute that it went unnoticed.

In listening to XM 204 Bob McKensie (sp) from the XM hockey channel and he basically said the Phil Kessel stock dropped from his in the WJC. Basically Bob said that he thought Kessel was over rated.

The very same Bob MacKenzie who proclaimed the US were "overwhelming favorites" to win the gold this year.

Two years in row without a medal. Everyone is looking for an excuse. Perhaps the teams were simply not good enough to win a medal.

and for crying out loud...so the Canadians were jerks! :D GET OVER IT!! Just because they weren't cheering for you....you cry like a bunch of babies! We were favored....we BLEW IT...and frankly deserved what we got! I'll offer my solution again....get your friends together and SCREAM LOUDER!!

Virg's article in the herald today was a major whine! UND can only WISH to have a house full of die-hard fans like the Canadians are! That would make the new Ralph as hostile to every other WCHA team as the old Ralph was. How many people who are bitching about the Canadians rudeness would join right in if UND hockey players were on the ice? I still hear "YOU SUCK s&!t" from the students at the new Ralph - that's "REAL CLASS!" also... ;) Stop being the pot calling the kettle black!

No, TJ was not lipping off. Simply tried to say Hey! And I WAS THERE cheering my ass off with all of the US fans, we did get together and scream at the top of our lungs. And the old ralph was not hostile. I was a student at the time and we cheered for our team LOUDLY and PROUDLY. As for the student section, they are a small number of idiots that sometimes you don't even hear what they are saying. I'm talking about an arena full of 16,000 Canadian fans screaming and swearing at not only your team but you as well. I had people screaming in my ear sitting right behind me. It's a tragedy to compare our little student section to this mayhem!

"UND can only WISH to have a house full of die-hard fans like the Canadians are! " - SiouxMeNow"

This statement is by far the most idiotic statement ever posted. No way on earth would I attend a Sioux game again if our fans behaved like the fans in Vancouver!! Shame on you, I should "sioux you now"! :0

No, TJ was not lipping off. Simply tried to say Hey! And I WAS THERE cheering my ass off with all of the US fans, we did get together and scream at the top of our lungs. And the old ralph was not hostile. I was a student at the time and we cheered for our team LOUDLY and PROUDLY. As for the student section, they are a small number of idiots that sometimes you don't even hear what they are saying. I'm talking about an arena full of 16,000 Canadian fans screaming and swearing at not only your team but you as well. I had people screaming in my ear sitting right behind me. It's a tragedy to compare our little student section to this mayhem!

"UND can only WISH to have a house full of die-hard fans like the Canadians are! " - SiouxMeNow"

This statement is by far the most idiotic statement ever posted. No way on earth would I attend a Sioux game again if our fans behaved like the fans in Vancouver!! Shame on you, I should "sioux you now"! :0

I'm starting to see where WJCFAN is going with this thread. He had a very bad experience in Vancouver so now he wants to get back at those lousy Canadians. Jonathan is Canadian so therefore go after him. This thread belongs in the same category and "Hak versus whoever".

Stop while you are behind WJCFAN!

The World Juniors are over. TJ is a Fighting Sioux, Toews is a Fighting Sioux. Now lets focus on the task at hand, making a run at the National Title. I'm just glad we have both of these guys back with no major injuries. Now let's go down to the hooch and whip some goopher eh-es-es.

However, I was very disappointed to see Toews buying into the BS with his comments on playing against his teamates, especially Oshie. I'll try and post the article. I'm not sure if this has already been up here, but here it is anyways.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sp...da7c7f7cd3d&p=2

GO FIGHTING SIOUX AGAINST THOSE PESKY GOPHERS!!!

Toews in the Herald

Toews said the quote didn't represent how the conversation actually went.

"The way it came out sounded really offensive," Toews said. "I didn't read the article until I got back here and I said, 'That doesn't look good at all.' I wouldn't say the reporter twisted the quote, but anybody who reads it wouldn't understand how the conversation went.

"I think T.J. understood, without talking to me, that I wouldn't mean to say anything like that. We're good buddies, and we're all cool."

I guess there's your answer.

"The way it came out sounded really offensive," Toews said. "I didn't read the article until I got back here and I said, 'That doesn't look good at all.' I wouldn't say the reporter twisted the quote, but anybody who reads it wouldn't understand how the conversation went.

Toews hidden message...'Most fans will see that I meant nothing by my actions, but there will always be some people who misinterpret the truth. People such as WJCFan on SS.com.'

Who gives a flying F basically, the Canadian fans are classless, lets get over it.

I doubt Toews is a punk like one might have suggested but if he is it will come out in the

lockerroom and the boys will take care of it. Notice we haven't heard much but it come out later.

Lets not make too much out of nothing.

Again I think the Canadian fans were class less during this tourney and I will not make excuses for them. That being said we can pay them back when they come to the Ralph if there is ever another WJC. Pay back is a bitch.