SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great picture on tsn website

Canada versus the United States - the matchup everyone has been waiting for and potentially a preview of the gold medal game at the World Junior Hockey Championship. Tonight's game, which will determine first place in Group A, pits the top two prospects in the 2006 NHL Draft against each other, Phil Kessel of the United States against Jonathan Toews of Canada.

usacanada_35758.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/

I'm an amature in the WJC format. Now that Canada had beaten USA, is the tourney done for USA? If not, how many more games do they have and do they still have a shot at the Gold?

Thanks...

US (#2 in their pool) will play a crossover game against the #3 team from the other pool. Canada gets a bye to the medal round semifinal. US gets into the medal round by winning the crossover game.

Appears the US will meet either Sweden, Russia or the Czechs. Those 3 teams play the next games tonight. Russia is in the best position for the bye in their pool, which they will get by beating the Czechs tonight. Sweden has already beaten the Czechs, so if Russia beats the Czechs tonight and Sweden also wins, the US will face the Czechs in the quaterfinals.

Best chance it will be, on Jan 2:

US vs Czechs

Finland or Swiss vs Sweden

Winners go against Canada and Russia on the 3rd in the semis.

US (#2 in their pool) will play a crossover game against the #3 team from the other pool. Canada gets a bye to the medal round semifinal. US gets into the medal round by winning the crossover game.

Appears the US will meet either Sweden, Russia or the Czechs. Those 3 teams play the next games tonight. Russia is in the best position for the bye in their pool, which they will get by beating the Czechs tonight. Sweden has already beaten the Czechs, so if Russia beats the Czechs tonight and Sweden also wins, the US will face the Czechs in the quaterfinals.

US vs Czechs

Finland vs Sweden

Thanks Sprig!!! You're my hero! :lol:

US vs Czechs

Finland or Swiss vs Sweden

You know I just don't like the match up the USA and the Czechs. Not a good match up last season and I am woundering how many of their guys are back from last season.

You know I just don't like the match up the USA and the Czechs. Not a good match up last season and I am woundering how many of their guys are back from last season.

The best returnee for the Czechs is their goaltender but it would appear that the Russians lit him up like a Christmas tree last night. The US just needs to give more ice time to the non-Kessel lines and they should do just fine.

I hope they don't play Kessel at all.

Then we could see how good or bad the USA would be without him. And (hypothetically) if the USA would not play well and lose who we would blame ? My guess is Kessel - - for not playing.

If they do continue to play Kessel a lot - I hope Oshie is on his line.

Am I funny or what ?

I hope they don't play Kessel at all.

Then we could see how good or bad the USA would be without him. And (hypothetically) if the USA would not play well and lose who we would blame ? My guess is Kessel - - for not playing.

If they do continue to play Kessel a lot - I hope Oshie is on his line.

Am I funny or what ?

He spent half of last nights game on his butt courtesy of Staal, Barker, Bourdon and Parent. Now that is funny! :lol:

What was up with the refs allowing Blake Comeau to shove a US forward twice, allowing him to straddle the red-line, and allowing the Canada forward on the opposite side of the circle to slash the stick out of the hand of another US forward - all prior to the opening faceoff? I realize it has no bearing on the final result but I think it sets a bad precedent to allow players to hack away so freely.

What was up with the refs allowing Blake Comeau to shove a US forward twice, allowing him to straddle the red-line, and allowing the Canada forward on the opposite side of the circle to slash the stick out of the hand of another US forward - all prior to the opening faceoff? I realize it has no bearing on the final result but I think it sets a bad precedent to allow players to hack away so freely.

i noticed that as well. his stick was slappped out of his hands. i guess that set the stage for the game.

Who is this Parent, I was impressed with his defensive prowess. Kind of curious that he is not on the official roster for team Canada. Anyone out there no why?

Here is a link from a recent Q&A with Ryan Parent.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

And for the benefit of Slappy who only believes only what he can read on the internet a little TSN article about Team USA's chemistry where Bob MacKenzie admits he was one of the analysts who raised the subject on the Pre-tourney special. Are you a happy Slappy now. :lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Can't really complain, as the US got away with quite a bit the last 5 minutes of the game. The refs have been scrutinized quite a bit in this tournament. To begin, it was that they were calling too much. Now it's that they're not calling enough. Can't have it both ways.

Can't really complain, as the US got away with quite a bit the last 5 minutes of the game. The refs have been scrutinized quite a bit in this tournament. To begin, it was that they were calling too much. Now it's that they're not calling enough. Can't have it both ways.

I didn't justify what the US did at the end of the game, I just think it's pretty weak to allow what went on before the game had even started. It basically sends a message of, "anything goes" to the players, which I think should be the last thing that should occur in an international competition.

Here is a link from a recent Q&A with Ryan Parent.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

And for the benefit of Slappy who only believes only what he can read on the internet a little TSN article about Team USA's chemistry where Bob MacKenzie admits he was one of the analysts who raised the subject on the Pre-tourney special. Are you a happy Slappy now. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Here's my post from Dec. 6th in the WJHC Time Again Thread. Looks like McKenzie and I are on the same page :lol:

It all comes down to team chemistry. You can have all the talent in the world, but if they don't blend well together, they won't win this tournament. I do think the U.S. has the talent to do it, but if they can't play as a team, they won't even get to the medal round. How far does team chemistry get you? Look back to the '80 U.S. Olympic team, filled with nobody's. In my eyes, winning this tournament is bigger than a NCAA championship. You represent your country in an international tournament. What would be more rewarding than walking away with the gold? I've always admired that Blais and now Hak is willing to give up players so they can play in this tournment. Where it will definitely hurt the Sioux not to have these players in the lineup, giving them this opportunity is just the best thing to do as a coach and a person.

And for the benefit of Slappy who only believes only what he can read on the internet a little TSN article about Team USA's chemistry where Bob MacKenzie admits he was one of the analysts who raised the subject on the Pre-tourney special.

1. I never said team chemistry wasn't a potential issue for the team and

2. Nowhere did the author even remotely intimate that Kessel was the major source for the strife (which is the only point about team chemistry I balked at), but rather that it was something that permeated the entire team and was probably the result of a wide array of players. To wit:

-- Two, this particular edition of Team USA is a star-studded roster. The universal truth about any team of any nationality with a lot of stars and superstars is that it is much more difficult to build a team because in order to do so, elite level players need to make sacrifices individually. That

Thanks Habit, He looks like a very skilled player, but I still wonder if he is related to Russ Parent. His age would be in-line with Russ's kids.

Hockey stats indicate Russ Parent is from Winnipeg. Ryan Parent is from Sioux Lookout. Close but not close enough to suggest they are related.

What was up with the refs allowing Blake Comeau to shove a US forward twice, allowing him to straddle the red-line, and allowing the Canada forward on the opposite side of the circle to slash the stick out of the hand of another US forward - all prior to the opening faceoff?

You don't want your stick knocked out of your hands? Squeeze your stick tighter.

I didn't see the shoving you were referring to, but the flying stick made me giggle.