SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher recruits in the bar.

Let'sGoHawks!

Recruits faces were blurred out, but were shown at the bar perhaps receiving "tickets" for things at the bar. Will this have any NCAA implications? These are high school aged kids, does this happen all over? I wouldn't think so. This is a bit more serious than the other story.

Recruits faces were blurred out, but were shown at the bar perhaps receiving "tickets" for things at the bar. Will this have any NCAA implications? These are high school aged kids, does this happen all over? I wouldn't think so. This is a bit more serious than the other story.

Any relevance to Sioux hockey? Any factual evidence besides Channel 9 saying so because Channel 9 doesn't exactly have the greatest credibility.

Any relevance to Sioux hockey? Any factual evidence besides Channel 9 saying so because Channel 9 doesn't exactly have the greatest credibility.

Recruit on camera following an underage gopher player into the bar being waved past the bouncer, no need to show ID. Yep, factual. Eyewitness of second recruit who entered.

Eyewitness of which recruits did and did not drink.

Former bartender who talked on camera how she refused to serve underage players but the bar owner served them anyway.

Showed copies of gopher ticket lists (reportedly only gopher players/coaches have access to reserve tickets for friends/family on this list) with the name of the bar owner on it almost a half-dozen times last year. So someone from the program was feeding this guy tickets. Who, and why?

It may not be relevant to Sioux hockey, yet it is interesting news to hockey fans.

It's evident in the topic thread that this isn't related directly to Sioux hockey. If you only want to read about Sioux hockey, than don't open threads pertaining to other teams. Pretty simple concept.

Isn't this old news........like really old news, or did the players go behind Donny's back and do it again. If they are legal....more power to them.

Isn't this old news........like really old news, or did the players go behind Donny's back and do it again. If they are legal....more power to them.

The underage players being in the bar is old news, but the underage recruits being in the bar is new.

Edited by mksioux

This doesn't really tell us anything about the UM Golden Gophers that we didn't already know. Remember nothing there is illegal or wrong unless someone gets caught and someone outside of the UM decides to do something about it. This time next year this will all have never happened, so back to what matters, Sioux Hockey

The underage players being in the bar is old news, but the underage recruits being in the bar is new.

Am I the only one who thinks that the bar owner discounting player's tabs at times, and the allegations that players comp'ed the owner game tickets as being a little more meaty than just "underage drinking"?

The relevance is in the question "does it happen all over?" as in UND...I don't think we bring 16-18 year olds to local establishments and pay for their tabs, but I am not an insider to the program.

Am I the only one who thinks that the bar owner discounting player's tabs at times, and the allegations that players comp'ed the owner game tickets as being a little more meaty than just "underage drinking"?

Yep, the underage drinking story had no legs because it's easy to write off as "underage drinking is no big deal" or "players for every team do it" (the latter of which is certainly true). Players getting discounts or comping a bar owner for illegal access or gifts-in-kind is a huge deal to the NCAA, if the allegations prove true.

For example, for the "shoebox scandal" (discounts on shoes for players), the Badgers were stripped of a few scholarships and put on probation. Minnesota is a different case entirely -- they're already on probation which has been extended through Oct 22, 2006, because of multiple violations. In the previous 2 cases the NCAA chose not to institute any of the "repeat-violator" penalties, but you can bet that if yet another infraction is proven to be true, the NCAA will have no choice but to throw the book at them.

Yep, the underage drinking story had no legs because it's easy to write off as "underage drinking is no big deal" or "players for every team do it" (the latter of which is certainly true). Players getting discounts or comping a bar owner for illegal access or gifts-in-kind is a huge deal to the NCAA, if the allegations prove true.

For example, for the "shoebox scandal" (discounts on shoes for players), the Badgers were stripped of a few scholarships and put on probation. Minnesota is a different case entirely -- they're already on probation which has been extended through Oct 22, 2006, because of multiple violations. In the previous 2 cases the NCAA chose not to institute any of the "repeat-violator" penalties, but you can bet that if yet another infraction is proven to be true, the NCAA will have no choice but to throw the book at them.

Thank you both, I thought I was the only one who realized underage drinking was not the serious issue here.

The relevance is in the question "does it happen all over?" as in UND...I don't think we bring 16-18 year olds to local establishments and pay for their tabs, but I am not an insider to the program.

Of course not, then we wouldn't have 25 year old Canadians...

I think the key word here is allegations. It seems to me it would be pretty hard to prove this owner got comp tickets for duing favors for these players. I know his name was on this list but he may have gotten some tickets for just being friends with these players not because he did favors for them. I know some people may disagree with me but the truth maybe hard to prove. I know some people who have gotten tickets from players just because they were their friends. All in all I think the owner of the bar is in trouble and he should be for letting minors into his establishment.

And now, a few words from your omnipotent catalyst for social change, the NCAA:

"Illegal use and abuse of alcohol is contrary to the mission of the NCAA and destroys such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility." - NCAA policy on alcohol.

"As college presidents, we are very concerned about the use of alcohol on our campuses and the abuse of it by our students and in society at large." - Walter Harrison, NCAA executive committee president.
"We should not underestimate the potential of athletics to contribute to social change, nor should we shy away from that responsibility." - Myles Brand, NCAA president

I for one think this is a serious issue. Crap like this should not be allowed to happen. Lots of people over at GPL can find reasons to defend the hockey team no matter what new evidence surfaces... that ain't cool. I can understand people turning their heads when the first story about underage players broke, but when you're talking about high school kids getting priviledges because they are potential recruits, there are no excuses. As a student, I understand that the hockey players are a vital part of the success of our university. Men's hockey, along with football and men's b-ball, are the only 3 sports that turn a positive profit every year, thus raking in millions of dollars to help our school function. These guys already have so many priviledges: playing in a historic hockey program, free education, meals, etc., the last thing they need is friggin' free drinks at the bar. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens at a lot of schools (unfortunately), and it probably happens with other sports at the U of M, but that's besides the point. I would not be surprised if we ended up getting in trouble for it. And you know what? We very well may deserve it.

I think the key word here is allegations. It seems to me it would be pretty hard to prove this owner got comp tickets for duing favors for these players. I know his name was on this list but he may have gotten some tickets for just being friends with these players not because he did favors for them. I know some people may disagree with me but the truth maybe hard to prove. I know some people who have gotten tickets from players just because they were their friends. All in all I think the owner of the bar is in trouble and he should be for letting minors into his establishment.

Exactly why I used the word. I agree.

Mulrooney is on more than a "wait list" for season tickets. FOX 9 Source: "I know that every once in a while he gets game tickets from players for different sports."

The Fox 9 Investigators obtained records from the University of Minnesota. They list the names of all the people who received free tickets to sporting events in the last two years. They show Mulrooney got comp tickets to five hockey games last season. They include ones for the always popular match up with Wisconsin and the West region. Remember seats for any Gopher hockey game are hard to come by. They have a face value of $30 each but online ticket brokers ask as much as $170.

Keep in mind, the passes Mulrooney got were the kind only the players can give out. At one game his tickets were waiting under the name "King Mike Mulrooney." Mulrooney has declined to tell us who gave him the tickets to the five games or why they were given to him.

It wasn't just Mulrooney who got passes from players. So did at least 2 members of his staff including bar manager Adam Axvig. His name appears twice on the list we got from the University.

He can't come up with a good reason they were given to him?

"He called the hockey players: Gods."

Well......we won't have any fun with this. :D

What have they reported on that is incorrect and would have their credibility in question?

When the first story came out about Hockey players drinking underage Fox 9 had Jordon Leopold's Mom as a source. She had said Jordon would tell her that players always got into bars underage. The only problem was Jordon has not spoken to his mom in over seven years, since he was in high school. He has a restaining order on her and when Fox 9 was told about this BEFORE they did the story but they did not recant her story. Fox 9 also did not report that on some of the nights the players were in the bar the bar had a 18 age entry night. Some of the players were drinking but some were not, all fox 9 was concerned about was that they were in the bar even though they were in there legally. On the recruiting segment Fox 9 stated that a potentional recruit was at a bar and later he did not sign with the Gophers. Fox 9 made it seem the reason he didn't sign with the Gophers was because he was brought to a bar even though we all know recruits do not sign with a team because of other reasons not because he was brought into a bar. This kid may have not signed because of this but we including FOX 9 do not know.

When the first story came out about Hockey players drinking underage Fox 9 had Jordon Leopold's Mom as a source. She had said Jordon would tell her that players always got into bars underage. The only problem was Jordon has not spoken to his mom in over seven years, since he was in high school. He has a restaining order on her and when Fox 9 was told about this BEFORE they did the story but they did not recant her story. Fox 9 also did not report that on some of the nights the players were in the bar the bar had a 18 age entry night. Some of the players were drinking but some were not, all fox 9 was concerned about was that they were in the bar even though they were in there legally. On the recruiting segment Fox 9 stated that a potentional recruit was at a bar and later he did not sign with the Gophers. Fox 9 made it seem the reason he didn't sign with the Gophers was because he was brought to a bar even though we all know recruits do not sign with a team because of other reasons not because he was brought into a bar. This kid may have not signed because of this but we including FOX 9 do not know.

Forney was the recruit at the bar who did not sign with the Gophers.

was the recruit at the bar who did not sign with the Gophers.

No one asked such a question that would have required you to post his name. :D That was not called for and I would request that you delete your post. His name is not relevent. The fact that he was a recruit that was brought into the bar was.