SiouxSports.com Forum

Question for Fighting Sioux fans.....

Golden Child

Old Ralph or New Ralph?? Which venue was more fun for you?

I always preferred the old Ralph for atmosphere, but I like sitting at the new one. I think the games were far more fun at the old place. Same goes for Old Mariucci v New Mariucci.

theres probably 100 threads on this..the old ralph was smaller so created a better atmosphere...it will take time but the new ralphs getting better...

boringggggggggggg

IMO the main problem with the new arena was that it wasn't designed with a student section in mind. As a result, there has been a ongoing issue with the students standing and blocking others' views. It certainly has created a lot of animosity between the students and the season ticket holders. Some claim it has hurt the atmosphere.

Edited by mksioux

I've only been to one series at the new Ralph and it was against Michigan Tech. I thought the new Ralph was awesome. Your jaw just hits the floor when you walk into that place. The only thing missing is the atmosphere. Maybe people need to quit complaining that the music is too loud, people standing, ect... and let the fans cheer. Then I think you would have an atmosphere.

All in all, I thought the atmophere in the Ralph was great this weekend. The crowd was very loud for nearly the entire game on Friday. After the Gophers got up by two on Saturday, the crowd was pretty much out of it until Chorney scored in the third period. But between that, Prpich's goal and the amazing saves by Lamoureux, the fans were extremely loud, even though many people had left after the second period.

But, hey, let's blame the building because that's what we always do when the Sioux lose at home. ;)

All in all, I thought the atmophere in the Ralph was great this weekend. The crowd was very loud for nearly the entire game on Friday. After the Gophers got up by two on Saturday, the crowd was pretty much out of it until Chorney scored in the third period. But between that, Prpich's goal and the amazing saves by Lamoureux, the fans were extremely loud, even though many people had left after the second period.

But, hey, let's blame the building because that's what we always do when the Sioux lose at home. :0

I have to disagree with you. I was at the game Fri night. I just do not see much enthusiasm coming from any sections other than the student sections. If you took the students out of the arena, you could hear a pin drop. I was watching the game on FSN on Sat. night and for once Woog made a good point. They were talking about how the new Ralph does not have the intimidation factor to opposing teams as the old Ralph. He said "theater seating leads to a theater attitude among fans" and I believe he is exactly right. I don't know what can be done to change this but the fear factor is gone for opposing teams coming to Grand Forks.

I was watching the game on FSN on Sat. night and for once Woog made a good point. They were talking about how the new Ralph does not have the intimidation factor to opposing teams as the old Ralph. He said "theater seating leads to a theater attitude among fans" and I believe he is exactly right. I don't know what can be done to change this but the fear factor is gone for opposing teams coming to Grand Forks.

Well, if Woog repeats what Lucia always says, it must be true. I'll withdraw my observations and defer to whatever Woog and Lucia say because they're obviously more objective and have no ulterior motives for talking down the Ralph. :0

Well, if Woog repeats what Lucia always says, it must be true. I'll withdraw my observations and defer to whatever Woog and Lucia say because they're obviously more objective and have no ulterior motives for talking down the Ralph. :0

PCM, I'm disappointed with this piece of pseudo-journalism. Do you mean alterior movites?

I've never been a big fan of Doug Woog, but I'll say this much about him: Was it just me or did he seemingly go out of his way this weekend to say the words "Fighting Sioux" as opposed to "UND" or "North Dakota"? I watched the game this weekend with some friends and I'm not the only one who noticed that.

After the Gophers got up by two on Saturday, the crowd was pretty much out of it until Chorney scored in the third period. But between that, Prpich's goal and the amazing saves by Lamoureux, the fans were extremely loud, even though many people had left after the second period.

Yea, let's all sit on our hands and grumble because no team has ever come back from an early first period two-goal deficit to win the game. :0

And people had left after the second period? Gimme a frickin' break, people. The hottest place to be in Grand Forks on a Saturday night would be a Sioux/Gopher game and you think the team can't overcome a 4-1 deficit? Way to go, fairweather fans!

I've never been a big fan of Doug Woog, but I'll say this much about him: Was it just me or did he seemingly go out of his way this weekend to say the words "Fighting Sioux" as opposed to "UND" or "North Dakota"? I watched the game this weekend with some friends and I'm not the only one who noticed that.

My favorite Woogism from this weekend was after FSN showed the McMahon/Vannelli fight from last year Woog may have felt he and Frank were having a bit too much fun with it, so in a show of conscience says "We're not condoning it, but we ARE entertained!".

My favorite Woogism from this weekend was after FSN showed the McMahon/Vannelli fight from last year Woog may have felt he and Frank were having a bit too much fun with it, so in a show of conscience says "We're not condoning it, but we ARE entertained!".

Yea, that was pretty funny. I'll take Woog and his maroon-colored glasses any day of the week as long as he continues to snub his nose at the PC world and say "Fighting Sioux". It's much better than Channel 9 showing St Cloud games and making sure that everyone refers to the team as UND or North Dakota while doing the politically correct tip-toe dance.

As usual the atmosphere at the new rinks will depend on how the home team is playing.

As was the case at the old rinks. Trouble is, people only remember the great games at the old Ralph and forget about the snoozefests. And I know there were snoozefests because I was at some of them.

As usual the atmosphere at the new rinks will depend on how the home team is playing. I highly doubt it was really all that different at the old "Ralph." First comes the good play, then the inspired fans.

Yes, it was a lot different and I speak from first hand experience. I attended many games at the old Ralph while I was a student in the mid to later 90's. You could really tell the Sioux feeded off the crowd in the old building and I just don't sense that in the new building. I have attended numerous games in the new arena as well. It is a great building and the school is extremely fortunate to have a hockey facility like that. However, the energy and enthusiasm of the non-student fans leaves a lot to be desired. I think in the old Ralph you had a lot more die hard hockey fans as it was a much smaller building. Here you have people who are out for a social gatering or a place to be seen and don't get into the game at all in many cases.

PCM, I'm disappointed with this piece of pseudo-journalism.

For the umpteenth time, it's "sudo-journalism." Gosh! :0;)

Do you mean alterior movites?

I don't know if that's what I meant because the word isn't in my dictionary. But then again, neither is the word "sudo." ;)

Edited by PCM