SiouxSports.com Forum

Girls High school basketball players to watch in area

t-jones

Who will be some of the ladies in the area UND is keeping on eye on. I know one, from Crookston, Kamille Wahlin, she is only a sophmore, one of the best female ballhandlers in highschool you will ever see and literally can drain NBA 3's all day. She will dominate the competition this year. Probaly will go D-1, but Im sure UND will recruit her in coming years

Who will be some of the ladies in the area UND is keeping on eye on. I know one, from Crookston, Kamille Wahlin, she is only a sophmore, one of the best female ballhandlers in highschool you will ever see and literally can drain NBA 3's all day. She will dominate the competition this year. Probaly will go D-1, but Im sure UND will recruit her in coming years

Is she Kenley's sister?

i think she is kenley's sister, hopefully sioux can get her, at the game on sunday a Wahlin was playing for UMC, wonder if they are all related someway?

Katrina, who plays for UMC, is Kenley's older sister, Kamille happens to be their younger sister.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Wahlin play in her first game of the year and she is the real deal. All I could compare her too was Roysland as a junior/senior. Wahlin is just a sopomore, she can shoot the lights out and is unselfish in ball handling. She isn't a Roebuck type player in that she is very quiet, however, she know how to run the point and be a leader. She would be a great one for UND, but realistically, I think she will go middle to upper tier D-1 if she stays healthy. Only problem with her is that she is only about 5'4" or so. Excellent ball player, best all-around player I have EVER seen as a sophomore around here, that's right EVER seen.

I watched Wahlin play in her first game of the year and she is the real deal. All I could compare her too was Roysland as a junior/senior. Wahlin is just a sopomore, she can shoot the lights out and is unselfish in ball handling. She isn't a Roebuck type player in that she is very quiet, however, she know how to run the point and be a leader. She would be a great one for UND, but realistically, I think she will go middle to upper tier D-1 if she stays healthy. Only problem with her is that she is only about 5'4" or so. Excellent ball player, best all-around player I have EVER seen as a sophomore around here, that's right EVER seen.

I imagine the possibility of UND getting her will depend largely on whether or not she's one of those kids who doesn't want to go too far from home for college. As we all know, UND has gotten some kids who clearly were/are dI players due to family connections, e.g. Jaime Pudenz, or proximity to home, e.g. Kimbrough. The facts that she's from Crookston, and that her brother is already at UND certainly won't hurt Roebuck's chances. I've heard Minnesota is very aware of her, and it's very unlikely UND would have much of a chance against the Gophers, but in a recruiting battle with dI schools from other states, I like UND's chances given what UND can offer in terms of facilities and attendance to go along with the opportunity for family to see all of her home games along with a number of road games which would be within a few hundred miles of Crookston.

That whole Crookston girls team I guess is pretty impressive, something like 8 of their top 9 players are sophmores. In their games this year so far they have put up like 85,71, and 94 points. They look to be a dominate team for the next couple years. You know who the girls coach is, head football coach at Crookston and former UND player Eric Schmidt. I have heard about this class of Crookston sophmores before, I don't know if they ever lost a game in all the youth tourney's they played in and they won like 5 straight Pacesetter state championships. Maybe I will try to catch them play this weekend here in GF.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The link works. It is a pretty good article. I guess considering that her brother goes to NDSU and they sound pretty close, we were fortunate to get her.

On a side note, does anyone know how Youngblut is doing this year. I am really looking forward to seeing her play.

I understand that there is a 6'3", sophomore at Kloten (I think Kloten is part of Dakota Prairie High School), who Roebuck has his eyes on. She is a big girl (not just tall) with a great deal of potential.

I am sure you are referring to one of the Gillette girls from DP. The sophomore reminds me of Langen. She has a sister who is a junior is a better all around player and very athletic. Reminds me of Boese.

• 2 weeks later...

Kirstie Gillette had a couple of big games so far in regionals, averaging 26.5ppg and 10 rpg. Roebuck and Brewster were up in Grafton watching on Monday. She doesn't have much of an outside shot yet, hasn't had the need to....also needs alot of work on her ballhandling to play a wing. Dominates inside at that level, very strong under the basket, athletic enough to run the floor, plays hard. Definitely have to adapt to a different position to play in NCC, but ability is there.

One other player to watch--not really from the "area" but from North Dakota--is Jessica Kielpinski from Mandan. She was first team all-state as a sophomore last year. Her older sister was Ms. Basketball last year, and for whatever reason, went to Alaska-Anchorage, where she's averaging 19 points and 9 boards a game as a freshman. She may be the only really good female basketball player to ever leave the state to play dII ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Another area player to watch is Ashley Privatsky from Devils Lake. She's averaging over 17 ppg as a sophomore, which is third in the EDC after Bergan and Seay. She's also second in the conference in assists. I'm curious how those "in the know" would compare her to Kamille Wahlin? Devils Lake handled Crookston pretty easily when the two teams played earlier this year, for whatever that's worth. It would be nice to re-open the old Devils Lake pipeline to UND (Walford, Heisler, Chaske, Deutsch).

Another area player to watch is Ashley Privatsky from Devils Lake. She's averaging over 17 ppg as a sophomore, which is third in the EDC after Bergan and Seay. She's also second in the conference in assists. I'm curious how those "in the know" would compare her to Kamille Wahlin? Devils Lake handled Crookston pretty easily when the two teams played earlier this year, for whatever that's worth.

Maybe the best kid in the area is the Draxton kid from Fergus Falls. She is very athletic, plays good D and can run. She is only a Sophomore. She hits the three and is 6'0''. The Mankato assistant coach said she could play in the NCC now. I am not sure about that, but she outplayed the Even kid, from Detroit Lakes, who was recruited by UND, SDSU and NDSU and signed with UMD. There is a 6'3"post player from Park Rapids, Mn. who is a Jr. She can run and she hits the boards hard. She has a decent outside shot. I can't remember her name. Both of these kids can play at UND and likely even a higher level. (the real D1 level, not the pseudo D1 WBB in Fargo that has a losing record and got beat by UMD this year).

Cory Lof is a Jr from Detroit Lakes is very athletic and has been at UND's camp. She has been contacted by UND. She can run, rebound, play D and is a decent shot. She needs to improve, but has a great upside which is likely what Gene saw when she was there last summer. She will be on a lot of people's list too.

The Fergus kid and Park Rapids kids are two kids you could build a future Champion around.