SiouxSports.com Forum

Girls High school basketball players to watch in area

t-jones

Maybe the best kid in the area is the Draxton kid from Fergus Falls. She is very athletic, plays good D and can run. She is only a Sophomore. She hits the three and is 6'0''. The Mankato assistant coach said she could play in the NCC now. I am not sure about that, but she outplayed the Even kid, from Detroit Lakes, who was recruited by UND, SDSU and NDSU and signed with UMD. There is a 6'3"post player from Park Rapids, Mn. who is a Jr. She can run and she hits the boards hard. She has a decent outside shot. I can't remember her name. Both of these kids can play at UND and likely even a higher level. (the real D1 level, not the pseudo D1 WBB in Fargo that has a losing record and got beat by UMD this year).

Cory Lof is a Jr from Detroit Lakes is very athletic and has been at UND's camp. She has been contacted by UND. She can run, rebound, play D and is a decent shot. She needs to improve, but has a great upside which is likely what Gene saw when she was there last summer. She will be on a lot of people's list too.

The Fergus kid and Park Rapids kids are two kids you could build a future Champion around.

Thanks for the info. The kid from Park Rapids is Janeesa Wolff. I agree that she and Draxten are likely the two best college prospects in the region. I suspect both will get a lot of major conference dI attention, so it would probably be a longshot for UND to get either, but you never know.

Thanks for the info. The kid from Park Rapids is Janeesa Wolff. I agree that she and Draxten are likely the two best college prospects in the region. I suspect both will get a lot of major conference dI attention, so it would probably be a longshot for UND to get either, but you never know.

You are right, I had forgotten her name. Sioux might have a shot if they offer her early and get an early committment. Otherwise I am afraid the big schools will be on her.

Another area player to watch is Ashley Privatsky from Devils Lake. She's averaging over 17 ppg as a sophomore, which is third in the EDC after Bergan and Seay. She's also second in the conference in assists. I'm curious how those "in the know" would compare her to Kamille Wahlin? Devils Lake handled Crookston pretty easily when the two teams played earlier this year, for whatever that's worth. It would be nice to re-open the old Devils Lake pipeline to UND (Walford, Heisler, Chaske, Deutsch).

I would say she is alright, but not close to as good as Wahlin, I saw in the paper the other day that so far this year Wahlin as a sophmore, has scored her 1000th point, set Crookston single season records in points and assists, and leads the team in scoring, assists, steals, and rebounding. Crookston has only lost a few this year and there whole team is sophmores, and I mean the whole team. If she wanted she could easily average 30, I think she will go higher than the Sioux. I bet she is one of the top 5 players in the state, regardless of class. Its just hard to say casue she doesnt play that many good teams. Crookston plays undefeated Barnsville at UMC on Friday for the right to go to State, go check it out.

I would say she is alright, but not close to as good as Wahlin, I saw in the paper the other day that so far this year Wahlin as a sophmore, has scored her 1000th point, set Crookston single season records in points and assists, and leads the team in scoring, assists, steals, and rebounding. Crookston has only lost a few this year and there whole team is sophmores, and I mean the whole team. If she wanted she could easily average 30, I think she will go higher than the Sioux. I bet she is one of the top 5 players in the state, regardless of class. Its just hard to say casue she doesnt play that many good teams. Crookston plays undefeated Barnsville at UMC on Friday for the right to go to State, go check it out.

Just to play devil's advocate since I haven't seen Wahlin play in person, but Privatsky's numbers are basically identical to Wahlin's, and Devils Lake plays a much more difficult schedule. Wahlin may very well be the better player, but I'd be interested in hearing how a coach would compare the two. I'm not sure the difference is necessarily as substantial as you seem to think.

Just to play devil's advocate since I haven't seen Wahlin play in person, but Privatsky's numbers are basically identical to Wahlin's, and Devils Lake plays a much more difficult schedule. Wahlin may very well be the better player, but I'd be interested in hearing how a coach would compare the two. I'm not sure the difference is necessarily as substantial as you seem to think.

I'm not so sure that DL plays a much tougher schedule.....DL does play the "big" girls in ND but the Wahp, Shanley Jamestown and VC are just the same a Section 8 AA.......as far as school size goes.

I'm not so sure that DL plays a much tougher schedule.....DL does play the "big" girls in ND but the Wahp, Shanley Jamestown and VC are just the same a Section 8 AA.......as far as school size goes.

Ive watched a lot of girls basketball around here and there a bunch of talented, young girls that the Sioux would love to have. I am a long time resident from the TRF area and been a high school sports fan for a long time, and I have seen Crookston play in TRF this year and they have a very talented team as well as some good individuals. That Wahlin girl is really a true point guard, she makes all of her teammates so much better. I have heard from my friend in Crookston the Gophers and Wisconsin Badgers have sent people to here games to watch her this year, and they have all have come away very impressed for only a sophmore, the Gopher assistant coach who watched her play apparently said she doesn't think there is a better true point guard in the state, and that Wahlin has attened Gopher camp the last few years and been very good. So they must see something there, I haven't seen the ND high school girls play so I wouldn't know. I think NW MN is a hidden gem for girls hoops

I'm basing the tougher schedule theory on the fact that Crookston has a much better record than DL despite getting smoked by DL when they played head-to-head. Not exactly a scientific argument, I'll admit, but not without a certain amount of logic, either. Also, Crookston barely beat Central, who is simply not a very good team. Just my two cents.

I am surprised that Jossy Bergan wasn't one of the top five nominated for Miss BB in ND!

I think Valley City's winless season doomed any chance she had. I expect she'll go on to a better college career than most of the other nominees, however.