SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Parise article

sprig

We can't win with Gopher fans. Everything about UND sucks or is second-rate, in their world. I got a chuckle out of the poster who suggested that Virg Foss is a Blais sycophant and unable to write objectively. Unlike the Homer Media of the Midwest in the Twin Cities, I presume? When the pot calls the kettle black, ya gotta laugh.

Virg writes an article where all he does is quote Parise and somehow it is Virg sucking up to Blais.

Yes, something about that article pricked the skin of some gopher fans. Could be they feel their coach was dissed. That would be my guess.

Yes, they will spin this in a way to try and make Blais look suspect to future recruits. However, any future recruit who did not make a hasty decision will also be aware of Jordan Leopold turning down the NHL to play one more year to try and win a championship. So kids can stay for reasons other than "bad coaching".

Tantrum? Please.... I only gave an opinion that just doesn't happen to agree with some Sioux fans.

Trust me, the person looking into his moniter as he types this has a normal blood pressure reading and is hardly upset about either the article or the differing opinions. You have your point of view, I have mine.

I will say I don't care to have words put into my mouth which is what a few people on that thread seemed to be doing. Other than that, I was only stating my viewpoint.

I will say I don't care to have words put into my mouth which is what a few people on that thread seemed to be doing. Other than that, I was only stating my viewpoint.

I will no longer put words in your mouth. I won't read what you write, you're ignored. Cuts many uscho threads in half, without missing any sort of valuable content ???

I've been saying that Parise will probably stay 2 years for awhile now. He's too fresh for the NHL at 18-19, and will need *at least* another year to fine tune his game. In addition, I'd guess if he's really rolling he may bail to an MJ team after his soph year. If UND gets into the FF, I'd bet he's gone after next season. I'd love to see him stay, especially with many of his SSM teamates coming, but he's perfectly entitled to reach for the "brass ring". As such, I'd still be cheering him on since he has contributed to the team's success and will probably continue to do so as long as he wears the Sioux sweater. He's projected as probably a top-15 pick. However, the 2003 draft class is also very deep in talent, especially with Euros and NA players. So his position may drop towards spring.

That said, I snicker when my Minnesota friends give me crap about "Blais' Hockey Factory in NoDak", e.g., bring in players for a couple of years only to have them sign. Whereupon I cough, "**Crowley, Rasmusson, Taffe ... **" :p Anyway, I suspect that as Lucia expands his recruiting net to bring in more higher caliber players, without ties to the U and/or the state, Minnesota fans will see more of their guys staying for less than 4 years too. Vanek's a start in that direction, and I'd guess Guyer might be too if he keeps progressing, even though he's a born and bred Minnesotan. Maybe the same for Ryan Potulny and others in the future.

It's really the nature of the game now. If you want to compete for/win Titles, etc. you bring in NHL caliber players and hope they stay around long enough to register for Sophomore classes. College FB and BB at top programs are pretty much the same way, unfortunately.

Anyway, I intend to enjoy the level of talent we are able to recruit and I hope we get another Title or three in the process. ???

Scott,

I am not really sure why any Gopher fan would make light of guys leaving early for NoDak when it has happened numerous times at the U too. I guess they are just trying to rib you though. ???

I don't know that it will really matter too much where Lucia recruits because the Gophers lost players early even when it was all MN kids in the program. The price you pay for landing top talent.

I'd suspect Vanek will be gone after his sophomore year too. Just like I expect Parise to be gone after that year. In fact, it wouldn't totally shock me to see Vanek leave after this season.... but I think he'll stick around for one more year considering his relationship with Motzko and the fact he does have some things to work on in his overall game.

I'm starting to think we may lose Bochenski before long too...

I don't know, I would think that maybe Bochenski would want to stick around and play on a line with Murray and Parise next year. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but goalscorerers are selfish in nature, and if Brandon can get 40 goals this year with only 1 consistent linemate, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could get 50 goals next year. ??? Assuming of course that Murray has a successfuly freshman year. After that, who knows.

Scott,

I am not really sure why any Gopher fan would make light of guys leaving early for NoDak when it has happened numerous times at the U too. I guess they are just trying to rib you though.  :p

I don't know that it will really matter too much where Lucia recruits because the Gophers lost players early even when it was all MN kids in the program. The price you pay for landing top talent.

I'd suspect Vanek will be gone after his sophomore year too. Just like I expect Parise to be gone after that year. In fact, it wouldn't totally shock me to see Vanek leave after this season.... but I think he'll stick around for one more year considering his relationship with Motzko and the fact he does have some things to work on in his overall game.

I generally don't worry too much about the crap my Minnesota friends give me, as they generally pay attention to the game in general and we have a good time with each other. ??? But at least they've stopped the "Canadian farm team" stuff, since Kennedy showed up. :)

I agree that programs that land top talent run the risk of only having them around for a season or two. However, it speaks well to the program and the coaching to land these guys in the first place.

Anyway, I think that Vanek is probably not ready for NHL primetime yet. He's very impressive on the puck and can move very well. My only knock on him so far, is that he seems a bit slower going after the puck. Nothing major, but he's probably used to having guys dump the puck to him. If he was a bit better in his own zone, I'd guess his tenure at the U would probably be a year. I think he'll probably be drafted in the top-15 or so, but I think he needs another year at the college level, or maybe MJ time. Either way, I can't wait to see him leave. :)

Edit: Here's a link to what "Hockey's Future" has to say about Parise, and his draft standing this spring.

Parise

I'm starting to think we may lose Bochenski before long too...

I would think one thing that leads to him maybe staying though is he wouldn't be able to negotiate with any team but Ottawa since they own his rights. If he were an undrafted free agent, I may tend to agree with you.

Then again, he is an older player and sometimes they feel a little more urgency to start a pro career then guys who came to college right out of HS.

I'd be surprised if he left early though.