SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Forum

SiouxMD

Greetings,

I don't read the Fargo Forum often but noticed recently that the local "expert" sports analysts no longer predict the UND Football outcome. They include NFL, DI-A, DI-AA (not this week as the Bison are resting), HS, etc...but do not include the Fighting Sioux.

Is this new or have they been doing this for awhile? It would seem an easy pick for them every week...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

I don't read the Fargo Forum often but noticed recently that the local "expert" sports analysts no longer predict the UND Football outcome.  They include NFL, DI-A, DI-AA (not this week as the Bison are resting), HS, etc...but do not include the Fighting Sioux.

Is this new or have they been doing this for awhile?  It would seem an easy pick for them every week...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've included the UND game in some weeks, although obviously not every week. It seems like a rather odd and glaring omission all things considered, but the Forum's views of UND are pretty well-known.

They've included the UND game in some weeks, although obviously not every week. It seems like a rather odd and glaring omission all things considered, but the Forum's views of UND are pretty well-known.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you saying that the Forum doesn't like us? I'm hurt... :crazy:

Greetings,

I don't read the Fargo Forum often but noticed recently that the local "expert" sports analysts no longer predict the UND Football outcome.  They include NFL, DI-A, DI-AA (not this week as the Bison are resting), HS, etc...but do not include the Fighting Sioux.

Is this new or have they been doing this for awhile?  It would seem an easy pick for them every week...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) There's no way the Fargo Forum would ignore UND. You must have a section missing. :crazy:

UND makes the paper only when something big happens, like the nickname or something negative or we win a national championship.

Case in point: UND's win in hockey last night was about a short paragraph in length. Pheasant hunting in South Dakota takes up a column on the front page. I could give a **** about SD pheasant hunting. North Dakota comes first, then everywhere else when it comes to sports.

But, then again, local news is more important than what is happening in the world so, I shouldn't be surprised.

The Fargo Forum: Doing their best to hold Fargo Metro area residents behind the times since as long as I can remember.

How much do you think the GF Herald talks about Bison scores, news, etc.??

Then why do you expect the Forum to be some sort of in-depth UND publication??

The Bison are big news in Fargo. Hence the Forum covers them and gives little attention to the Sioux. The Sioux are big news in GF. Hence, the Herald covers them and gives little attention to the Bison. Each paper covers what it feels is good news for its area.

I don't go on complaining about the little news coverage the GF Herald gives to the Bison. I don't care about the GF Herald. The Weekly Reader for children is a more intellectual paper than the Herald. I wouldn't line my cat's litter box with the Herald. So I don't care. Why should you care??

The Bison are big news in Fargo. Hence the Forum covers them and gives little attention to the Sioux. The Sioux are big news in GF. Hence, the Herald covers them and gives little attention to the Bison. Each paper covers what it feels is good news for its area.

I don't go on complaining about the little news coverage the GF Herald gives to the Bison. I don't care about the GF Herald. The Weekly Reader for children is a more intellectual paper than the Herald. I wouldn't line my cat's litter box with the Herald. So I don't care. Why should you care??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really want to get into a pissing contest on this topic, but you were making a valid point... until your last paragraph, then I knew that you weren't really interested in making a valid point, you just wanted to take a stance of "Ha Ha! Let's make fun of Grand Forks! Ha Ha!"

By the way, I'm from Fargo, I currently live in Fargo, my parents were on a committee set up by the Forum to help them figure out how well their readers viewed the Forum, and I've read the Forum most of my life. I can tell you that, leaving Sports entirely out of it, the Forum is lead by incompetants (though not so much now that Lou is gone). They have a general reputation of doing what all the conservatives are crying out the liberal media is doing: Choosing a point and then finding only data that supports the point, even if the point that is being made isn't the whole truth. Also, the Herald, for the most part, has NATIONAL or even INTERNATIONAL news on the front page with an occasional local story. The Fargo Forum RARELY has a National or International news story on its front page. There is more to the world than the Fargo-Moorhead area! Why have a local section if you are just going to put it on the front page anyways?

I don't expect the Forum, in sports, to be all over UND athletics. I don't even expect UND to make the front page. However, I would expect them to use a pecking order when it comes to priorities in sports. For example, I expect F-M area and Minnesota Pro sports teams to be on the front page of the Sports section. It's the Fargo Newspaper, that's expected. But why should something largely peripheral, such as the status of pheasants in South Dakota, take a large piece of news when there is better sports news happening in North Dakota? This isn't saying that UND should have had that space, but surely South Dakota's pheasants are not first page news.

If the Forum chooses to diss the 40% or so of its readership that have interest in UND sports, that's their choice (however stupid a business decision). By comparison, maybe 10% of the Herald's readership has more than casual interest in NDSU. The issue IMO is that Forum editorial board seems to go out-of-the-way to berate or jab UND athletics / leadership. The Herald editorials, as much as I may disagree with them, emphasize cooperation and consensus-building between the UND/NDSU communities and do not participate in the zero-sum we win/you-lose mentality that the Forum's editors and owners want to perpetuate.

P.S. As a reminder to bison-backers with long memories and short fuses, Ryan Bakken is the Herald humor columnist, not the editorial writer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't care...I was just wondering when the Forum stopped including UND in their weekly predictions...maybe you know?

Both papers are Pulitzer Prize winners...we may not agree with everything they say but overall I think both do a decent job of reporting "local" news.

Pulitzer Prize - Herald 1998

Pulitzer Prize - Forum 1958

We are talking about newspapers...why are you so upset?

P.S. As a reminder to bison-backers with long memories and short fuses, Ryan Bakken is the Herald humor columnist, not the editorial writer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then who the heck is Virg Foss?? He only has written some of the most cheap-shotted, below-the-belt insults towards NDSU that I have ever read.

I don't really want to get into a pissing contest on this topic, but you were making a valid point... until your last paragraph, then I knew that you weren't really interested in making a valid point, you just wanted to take a stance of "Ha Ha! Let's make fun of Grand Forks! Ha Ha!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, you got me on that one. My fault. :D

Then who the heck is Virg Foss?? He only has written some of the most cheap-shotted, below-the-belt insults towards NDSU that I have ever read.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virg is the now-retired Sioux hockey reporter. I don't remember him ever taking cheap shots at the Bison. The Gophers, hell yes, but not the Bison. :D

screw the FOOL'EM....they've had their head up their *ss for so long - everyone knows they're a joke. They've got McFOOLY whose ENTIRE JOB is to piss EVERYONE off (Assuming they can sell more papers with a contrarian on staff :lol: )

They pounded their chest when 'SU went di-AA saying "we won't spend as much time covering LESSER divisions... :D " Then gave UND banner headlines in '03 in Florence....go figure???

God knows the Heraldo has problems but I'd take them anyday (even WITH Doreen Yellow Bird ??? ) over the "finger in the wind" FOOL 'EM!

And SiouxMeNow is up late as well. And drunk. Like he always is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and you're up late because...the Bison have NOTHING going on this week?? :D

WE DO! A developing young hockey team and an undefeated football team in the division you bailed out on...how's that di-AA thing going??? Think you guys will make the playoffs this year? OOOHHH FORGOT...you're PLAYOFF INELIGIBLE!! I'm up LATE because I WORK LATE! (and I'll take a typing sobriety test anytime you like a*-hole!)

On Saturday, Oct 8th, I attended a performance by the Beatles tribute band "Rain" held at the FargoDome. Prior to the performance the guy who seemed to have spearheaded the concert made a few announcements.

One announcement was to ask EVERYONE to e-mail the forum telling them that they were akin to a joke as the forum refused to give any coverage to the event - pre and post comments (there was more he said but I tuned it out - whatever, it the forum decided to not cover it, that's their decision) . . .

anyway the group behind me was from one of the local F/M libraries (he gave a "shout out" of thanks to various groups and stations which did mention/support the concert - one of the groups mentioned was the group of librarians and these women/men cheered for themselves, which is why I knew they were from the library).

One in the group of the librarians stated in reference to the forum "That rag; nobody I know reads it." There was agreement from others in the group.

Thought that was a pretty interesting statement from a librarian no less.

If you claim the Forum isn't interested in Grand Forks, then why do they liste Fargo-Grand Forks, ND on their website?

Why do they send 2 reporters to football games, even though they said they weren't going to cover lowly DII sports anymore.

The Herald has made it clear they weren't covering Bison football and they have stuck to that. An AP story is all you're going to see.

Virg Foss covered DI hockey, not club hockey.

Why is nickname news front page of the Forum. Who cares, it's happening in Grand Forks not Fargo.

If you claim the Forum isn't interested in Grand Forks, then why do they liste Fargo-Grand Forks, ND on their website?

Why do they send 2 reporters to football games, even though they said they weren't going to cover lowly DII sports anymore.

The Herald has made it clear they weren't covering Bison football and they have stuck to that. An AP story is all you're going to see.

Why is nickname news front page of the Forum. Who cares, it's happening in Grand Forks not Fargo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point #1: I don't know.

Point #2: Well, there are many theories as to this. One could be giving sports reporters something to do. I mean, it's not like the Twins or Vikings are doing something special. And NDSU can't make the playoffs this year, so... who knows. For whatever reason, their 2 reporters out there don't get a lot of space in the paper.

Point #3: Fair enough.

Point #4: True

Point #5: Because it is national news, perhaps? If, for nothing else, it keeps the ratings up by making fun of UND, something they don't often get to do now that our teams don't face off in sports anymore. NDSU doesn't like UND. The Forum is the hometown paper of NDSU and supports their athletics as much as possible. Their "dislike" would therefore end up as the Forum's "dislike" simply because it best represents the majority of their readership. And with the soreness of NDSU over UND's recent office opening and closure in Fargo, I doubt they would do much to try to endear themselves to UND anyways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless the reporters are UND fans...they must hate this assignment.

"Hey, (insert reporters name here). I want you to go to Grand Forks on Saturday and cover the UND football game. Don't bother paying attention to the game as you only get a paragraph on page 8 for your write-up...in fact, the final score should suffice. Have a good time."

:D:lol: