SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC of the Future

wsuwarrior

How can you ignore margins, gross profits, etc in any point. Taking in 5000 bucks does not mean much if it cost 6000 to sell the tickets manage the facility etc. Profits are relvanent in any analysis. Looks like Jim never went near the School of Business at UND.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not disdain for hockey in Fargo. there may be disinterest but not disdain. There is no jealousy of uendd sports. But there is a realization that DI sports are a necessary evolution for NDSU. Why that brings such discomfort to you people is beyond me, but the negative and abusive chatter has barely slowed up and it's been at least a year since NDSU announced Decision 1.

Dire predications of failure, a retreat to arguments like hockey is #1 and your too stupid to understand it, shoutin ed schultz daily tirades and mocking echoing most uenders, a failure to view any move or opportunility objectively...it all adds up to a counter charge of jealousy.

There is a moo in NDSU. We are an great ag school, a premier research institution, we have a tremendous undergraduate program, we are located in the fastest growing MSA in the region, money is pouring in, and we are headed for DI athletics probably in the Big Sky Conference. But the future of hayseed is firmly in your town.

We will see it in our generation. Fargo will continue to grow at a 4 to 1 pace over the grand cities (You had as many residential building permits as Willmar, Mn.) NDSU and uendd will mirror the growth of their respective cities. Its going to have a profound effect on the dynamics between the 2 schools. More and more NDSU is going to gain political and fiscal power. We will add colleges and hopefully in the not too distant future a College of Veterinary Medicine. uendd graduates will continue to populate our city because thats where the money is. There will probably even be a city arena and a hockey team.

We may never have as many DI titles as you, who can say? But if thats the only reason NDSU shouldnt upgrade it's athletic programs to match its academics moving ahead is the only thing we can do. The rest of the arguments are contrived and dare I say out of focus.

How can you ignore margins, gross profits, etc in any point. Taking in 5000 bucks does not mean much if it cost 6000 to sell the tickets manage the facility etc.

I'll type really slowly this time.

Profits are irrelevant in this discussion because I'm not talking about the business success of the program. I'm talking about the prestige and national attention it brings UND, which is simply dependent on how many people are exposed to the sport and exposed to the school because of it. Those people couldn't care less how much UND profits off them being a fan. They're not more or less of a fan dependent on UND's profits.

Profit matters in UND's ability to sustain the support, but that's a completely separate issue that I don't think anyone is worried about.

Fargo has reached critical mass. As long as the state grows so will Fargo. Grand Forks will stop growing long before Fargo and Bismarck and even Willmar for that matter.

Grand Forks is now on the same level as West Fargo. Its Fargo, Bismarck, Mandan, West Fargo/Grand Forks. The growth will continue especially in the Fargo MSA. In 10 yrs your going to look more like Grafton than Fargo. Do you think Grafton is a hick town full of hayseeds?

That doesn't bode well for the future. That's why your sticking with what you got and not reaching for a bigger future. Your leaders understand the limitations. If it wasn't for ralph you wouldn't have anything, but he couldn't buy you a growing city.

Not believing Wanless and then believing him? come on! You make some pretty weak arguments but if they make you feel better so be it. When the Dakota schools do join the BSC you can buy a blanket for your comfort.

uendd is at a dead end. Even if you do swallow your pride (that doesn't cost any extra) and admit you should move, where are you going to go? Your use of difficult geography to preserve your DI monopoly is now going to leave you behind. Everyone thought it would be NDSU/uendd but it turned out to be NDSU/SDSU. Imagine that!

Sac State and Portland are on the west coast. They will travel to the Dakotas every year for BB and every other year for Football. The time difference will be handled in much the same way as it was when you played warshington. The other schools are in the middle and it doesn't make much difference for them. I dont remember UNC having any trouble with the time zone?

The Dakota schools will add 2 conference games in place of 2 non conference games for all BSC teams. The only cost to consider is the net difference. Over time It may work out to be cheaper than scheduling at random. Cal Davis has no problem with a home/home in Fargo. Central Warshington had no problem with you. The conference is only a very long series of home/home games. Even you guys travel that far to find a series. None of your points were really relevant were they? Wanless is talking too fast and coming up empty.

Right now, my guess has it 6-2 at worst. The Big Sky needs stability and new markets. the Dakota schools will bring them that. Most of you have already eliminated UNC. They are too close to the big Co. Universities and certainly their program in headed for DIAA failure. No market share there. Southern Utah, I don't think so. too small, not enough money, and already turned down. Good non conference game.

Jim Said:

Profits are irrelevant in this discussion because I'm not talking about the business success of the program. I'm talking about the prestige and national attention it brings UND, which is simply dependent on how many people are exposed to the sport and exposed to the school because of it. Those people couldn't care less how much UND profits off them being a fan. They're not more or less of a fan dependent on UND's profits.

Profit matters in UND's ability to sustain the support, but that's a completely separate issue that I don't think anyone is worried about. "

Sounds like a hat trick to me, I kind of like that. So we dont worry about business.

When the Dakota schools do join the BSC you can buy a blanket for your comfort.

Right now, my guess has it 6-2 at worst.  The Big Sky needs stability and new markets.  the Dakota schools will bring them that. Southern Utah,   Good non conference game.

Did I miss the press release did NDSU/SDSU join the BSC? Or is this the same bs that the Foolum and the good people of fm keep dreaming about? ???

• 3 months later...