SiouxSports.com Forum

matt jones

AZSIOUX

the coyotes sent 9 players down to the AHL club traing camp in san antonio. jones was not one of them..good for him, he will get a couple more pre season games with the big club..im guessing he will be i san antonio but i guess you never know...maybe that big hit shown above saved him :D

35 players remain....how many players are on a regular season NHL roster??

i would guess they will send 10-12 more players down

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure if the new CBA addresses roster size, but according to the CBA signed in 1995/1996, the regular season roster size will be no larger than 24 players at any given time. It does provide for future expansion teams stating that the league holds the right, should expansion be approved, to decrease roster size to 23 (I am finding evidence that it is indeed 23).

Here is the link to this story.

However, there is talk about lowering the NHL roster size down to 17 (15 skaters and 2 goaltenders) according to this site. (Most of the way down the page)

Nice story about Matt Jones in the Arizona Republic.

Rookie Jones vies to make roster

Don't let the teenage-like appearance fool you. Matt Jones is very close to becoming an NHL player.

Jones, 22, has performed well during training camp, and coach Wayne Gretzky and his staff have noticed.

That's why the young defenseman is being rewarded with more playing time tonight against the Los Angeles Kings.

The article refers to a leveling of Alexandre Daigle. Could it be him in the picture?

A great article. A good read.

I wonder that myself: What's more meaningful: First pair AHL defenseman or platooning D at the NHL level? I understand the playing time aspect of it but is that the only aspect of consideration when making that decision?

The article refers to a leveling of Alexandre Daigle.  Could it be him in the picture?

A great article. A good read.

I wonder that myself:  What's more meaningful:  First pair AHL defenseman or platooning D at the NHL level?  I understand the playing time aspect of it but is that the only aspect of consideration when making that decision?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention there is a big difference in dollars between the AHL and NHL..........I think the minimum in the NHL is about 400,000.

Personally, I think for Jones's sake it would be beneficial for him to play in the AHL for a year. They (Phoenix) quite obviously see his potential and have plans to make him one of their top defensemen, but if he plays for the coyotes this year, he would probably not see more than a 5-10 minutes of ice time per game. With the AHL club he could see more like 30+. Jones is good enough to become one of their top 3 or 4 defensemen within the next few years, and with the right development he will be there.

just got home from the coyotes game. matt was solid again!

Personally, I think for Jones's sake it would be beneficial for him to play in the AHL for a year. They (Phoenix) quite obviously see his potential and have plans to make him one of their top defensemen, but if he plays for the coyotes this year, he would probably not see more than a 5-10 minutes of ice time per game. With the AHL club he could see more like 30+.  Jones is good enough to become one of their top 3 or 4 defensemen within the next few years, and with the right development he will be there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

go ahead and get one anyway, if hes sent down it wont be to long before hes up in phoenix...

So should I hold off on the Jones Phoenix jersey, and get one of the AHL affiliate instead? :huh:

Nice hit...even if it was against my Wild... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>