SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'd like to see Moreland have a chance next yr - I plan to go & see him play as soon as I can --- I'd Hate to see him become another ND kid to play for the goophs :lol:

Personally, this argument about why Moreland isn't going to play for UND is the same old argument that we all hear on this board about why we didn't go after "so and so's" brother...It gets old after a while. Sometimes "so and so's" brother has got game, but maybe it doesn't fit into UND's system all that well. Case in point, Brian Lee's brother, John. I don't think he's big enough to play in UND's system or the type of player UND wants/needs in their system when I last saw him play in person. He'll fit in better in Denver's system I think. Anyways, I'm not saying that Moreland doesn't have game, because I watched him play in high school and I thought he could go play somewhere. But forward's are a dime-a-dozen to me. What separates Moreland significantly from anyone of the Sioux freshman we have this year or coming in next year? There must be something that the coaching staff has seen by watching him play that they feel he won't be an asset to the team this year or any other year for that matter. I wish Moreland well wherever he ends up, except if it's against UND. But, again, that's just my opinion.

Why is he playing in the OPJHL? I'm not knocking the league, because there are some talented players, Brendan Smith and Cody Goulobef who are going to Wisconsin, but the league is below the BCHL, the NAHL, and USHL in terms of overall talent and play.

Grieco, was also in the OPJHL.

Why is he playing in the OPJHL? I'm not knocking the league, because there are some talented players, Brendan Smith and Cody Goulobef who are going to Wisconsin, but the league is below the BCHL, the NAHL, and USHL in terms of overall talent and play.

Perhaps it was to get more games/longer season.

Perhaps it was to get more games/longer season.

The USHL's reputation as a better than average junior league has only come to the fore in the last year or so. As for the NAHL, it is not even on anybody's radar except in the places where they actually have a team. I'm going to guess that the Wellington Dukes would be a very good team in the NAHL.

I've never asked him why he wound up in Wellington. I'm going to guess that someone scouted him at a hockey tournament or camp in Canada and that is where he decided to go. I believe he was also drafted in the OHL draft so that may have had an influence on his choice.

You should note that I only provide names of kids that I have had some kind of involvement with. I will not give a name unless I'm pretty sure that the kid is a good citizen. Zach and family are a great group of people.

Zach, if he comes and makes the team will be a 4 year player. He will not blow anybody away with his dazzling skills or speed. He simply comes to play every night.

And as I stated in my previous post, the ultimate goal here is to get the two younger guys, Corey and Trevor. Both are showing signs of becoming outstanding players.

Do you follow junior hockey at all? Like seriously, come on.

What's your problem? I gave you a name of a kid that is right under your nose and you think I'm the one with a problem. I follow a lot of junior hockey from the WHL to the USHL. There is only so much time in the day, however. My range in hockey talent appears to be a little larger than yours based on the feedback I'm getting from you.

The USHL has been the top junior hockey league in America for a long time. What has changed is the landscape of junior hockey in America the last five years. Junior hockey used to be for the kids that maybe weren't ready for college hockey when they were 18, so the league was compromised of 19 and 20 year olds. Now what you're seeing is with the Tier 1 status there are more and more 18 year olds and less 20 year olds on USHL rosters. The USHL is becoming the top 18 year old league in the country. The NAHL now is more reminiscent to what the USHL was ten years ago. The USHL has always been atop the NAHL as the best junior league, it's just that your seeing a shift in American Junior Hockey.

What's your problem? I gave you a name of a kid that is right under your nose and you think I'm the one with a problem. I follow a lot of junior hockey from the WHL to the USHL. There is only so much time in the day, however. My range in hockey talent appears to be a little larger than yours based on the feedback I'm getting from you.

Your range is larger then mine? You think that the USHL has "only come to the fore in the last year or so." And all of a sudden your range in hockey talent is larger then mine? The USHL has been the premier Junior Hockey League in America ever since I can remember. . Even before 2002 when the USHL became Tier 1, they still were "in the fore" long before that. Hell, in 2003, the total number of USHL players ranked on NHL Central Scouting Service's Final Ranking exceeded that of the Quebec Major Junior League.

Edit: USA Hockey explains it a hell of a lot better then I have.

keep going at it guys :lol: we need some entertainment on our bye week here :lol:

I mean we can talk about this or we can talk about how many deer we are going to shoot this weekend.

At the present moment this seems to be more exciting. :silly:

I mean we can talk about this or we can talk about how many deer we are going to shoot this weekend.

At the present moment this seems to be more exciting. :lol:

If you go to mile marker 142 on I-94 West you can pick up nice buck. It had a good rack of horns. You don't even have to bring your rifle as it's laying (dead) on the side of the road waiting to be picked up. It's about 2 miles East of the Freeport exit. Last night wasn't a good night for deer (or cars) between Alex and Mpls. There were about 4 or 5 new ones along the road from the previous day. Goon, why spend all that time running around out in the woods when you could just drive down the freeway tonight and run into one? Get a nice buck and let your insurance agent buy you a new car at the same time. ;-)

Personally, this argument about why Moreland isn't going to play for UND is the same old argument that we all hear on this board about why we didn't go after "so and so's" brother...It gets old after a while. Sometimes "so and so's" brother has got game, but maybe it doesn't fit into UND's system all that well. Case in point, Brian Lee's brother, John. I don't think he's big enough to play in UND's system or the type of player UND wants/needs in their system when I last saw him play in person. He'll fit in better in Denver's system I think. Anyways, I'm not saying that Moreland doesn't have game, because I watched him play in high school and I thought he could go play somewhere. But forward's are a dime-a-dozen to me. What separates Moreland significantly from anyone of the Sioux freshman we have this year or coming in next year? There must be something that the coaching staff has seen by watching him play that they feel he won't be an asset to the team this year or any other year for that matter. I wish Moreland well wherever he ends up, except if it's against UND. But, again, that's just my opinion.

I might be wrong but I think John is like 6'3. I do agree with you though that good forwards are much easier to come by these days then good defensemen.

Goon, why spend all that time running around out in the woods when you could just drive down the freeway tonight and run into one? Get a nice buck and let your insurance agent buy you a new car at the same time. ;-)

LOL, that funny, Its more fun to shoot them with a rifle though. But the thought of getting a new rig is compelling. :lol:

Your range is larger then mine? You think that the USHL has "only come to the fore in the last year or so." And all of a sudden your range in hockey talent is larger then mine? The USHL has been the premier Junior Hockey League in America ever since I can remember. . Even before 2002 when the USHL became Tier 1, they still were "in the fore" long before that. Hell, in 2003, the total number of USHL players ranked on NHL Central Scouting Service's Final Ranking exceeded that of the Quebec Major Junior League.

Edit: USA Hockey explains it a hell of a lot better then I have.

Yes 2002 is a long time....................................................................for a 10 year old!!!!

The USHL is on everybody's radar now. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. The stats are also a bit misleading since a kid playing a single game in the CHL is commited to that league and that league alone. NCAA hockey is no longer an option.

The USHL lists kids that may have only played a small number of games. TJ comes to mind. I don't think you can compare the leagues straight up like you have since the situation is very different.

Any interesting names?

From a WCHA perspective, one interesting name is Kyle Turris ranked 21st (Wisco 07). He is also the leading scorer at the Junior A Challenge which is going on this week in Saskatchewan. They've got the gopher's Jim O'Brien ranked 12th even though he hasn't scored a point in 9 games.

Espo has dropped to no. 3. Nick Petrecki (USHL going to BC in 07) ranked no. 4.

From my perspective they have Eric Doyle ranked at 19. Played with his dad. Must have got his hockey genes from his mom :lol:

It gets even tougher for Div I scouts as Canada has taken note of the success of Shattuck and more Prep schools are popping up. A new one is Harrington College, Quebec, halfway between Montreal and Ottawa, and they play most of their games against Tier two Junior teams from the America East Hockey League. Their team, the Iceburgs, features a couple of highly skilled Austrians and the one to watch is 16 year old Vincenz Peters who has been scoring goals in bunches despite going up against players who are 2 to 5 years his senior.