SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I was at the United Center in Chicago for the Blackhawks/Oilers game and I had on my white Sioux hockey jersey. As I walked down the concourse, this guy yelled, "Go IRISH". :sad:

That's too bad, but that's also Chicago. VERY isolated city. My brother lives there.

When I went to the MCI Center to watch the Caps play the Wings, I had two people go out of their way to talk to me. THe first said that she watched the Frozen Four in Boston (IIRC where we lost to DU in the NC game). The second just yelled "GO SIOUX!"

My wife and I went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory before going over to Joe Senser's to watch a game. There was an 1 1/2 hour wait to get a table. I went up to the counter to get a glass of water and a guy asked me about my jersey and what we were doing. Told him where we were going after eating and he said how long is the wait, told him. Then just about 5 minutes later he and the hostess walked up and sat us right away. Found out he was the manager and he later told me that he loved my jersey, and that he had one just like it at home. My wife was just blown away that we got a table because I was wearing my jersey. It was a really nice thing for him to do. But it just goes to show that it pays to wear your jersey everywear...

IIRC, the quote was that wealthy benefactors would wear chicken feathers to a cocktail party if they could. What stops them? I went to a cocktail party (a bunch of people drinking beer) last weekend and nothing stopped me. The benefactors clearly still can do the same. Has the editorial writer ever witnessed this? What basis does he have for this opinion?

Sorry, that response by the "readers representative" was clearly non-responsive.

JMHO, but rather than writing the "readers representative" you might want to start writing the advertisers.

I asked her 2 things, because I didn't believe her answer was any sort of explanation, but more a defense of Coleman being able to write whatever he wants because "it's his opinion".

My point to her was that Coleman was cleverly trying to leave a false impression with the reader about how UND benefactors act, what kind of person Ralph Engelstad was, etc. I felt that tactic by Coleman was unethical, even though it was his "opinion".

She had mentioned that the Hitler birthday parties were fact, and that Coleman had clearly indicated his other inferences were his "opinion".

So I asked her the following:

1. What stops UND benefactors from behaving the way Coleman says they would? Have they ever acted that way? Is there a law or a policy that PREVENTS them from acting this way? The answer to the former is nobody knows, even Coleman. And the answer to the latter is no. Therefore, I believe Coleman's inference is irresponsible and even offensive.

2. What did Ralph's collection of Nazi memorabelia have to do with this story? Nothing. In addition, he completely ignored Ralph's total collection of WWII memorabelia including stuff from Stalin and Patton's papers, etc. Yet he inferred Ralph was a Nazi with "tainted" money.

She no longer responded after my email responding to her answer. I thought as the "Reader's Representative" she would be interested in a discourse with an upset reader. IMO, and I realize this could be flawed because I'm a little ticked off about it, she acted only as a defender of Coleman. I don't expect she needed to agree with me. But I would have expected her to address my on-going questions. Instead, I felt that her first response was a dismissal. I never asked for a correction, I asked for an apology and she didn't seem to grasp this. She essentially scolded me by saying that I had admitted some of what Coleman wrote was fact, and therefore because of that, and the fact that he'd acknowledged the rest was his "opinion" she wouldn't recommend a correction. I asked for an apology because I felt he had been unfair and even offensive in his tactics. I didn't ask for him to correct anything.

Again, she doesn't have to agree with me for me to be satisfied. I don't believe she adequately addressed (understood?) my complaints, and she failed to respond to my follow-up questions. That doesn't fit my description for a "reader's representative". That's what is burning me as much as Coleman's hack job.

I asked her 2 things, because I didn't believe her answer was any sort of explanation, but more a defense of Coleman being able to write whatever he wants because "it's his opinion".

My point to her was that Coleman was cleverly trying to leave a false impression with the reader about how UND benefactors act, what kind of person Ralph Engelstad was, etc. I felt that tactic by Coleman was unethical, even though it was his "opinion".

She had mentioned that the Hitler birthday parties were fact, and that Coleman had clearly indicated his other inferences were his "opinion".

So I asked her the following:

1. What stops UND benefactors from behaving the way Coleman says they would? Have they ever acted that way? Is there a law or a policy that PREVENTS them from acting this way? The answer to the former is nobody knows, even Coleman. And the answer to the latter is no. Therefore, I believe Coleman's inference is irresponsible and even offensive.

2. What did Ralph's collection of Nazi memorabelia have to do with this story? Nothing. In addition, he completely ignored Ralph's total collection of WWII memorabelia including stuff from Stalin and Patton's papers, etc. Yet he inferred Ralph was a Nazi with "tainted" money.

She no longer responded after my email responding to her answer. I thought as the "Reader's Representative" she would be interested in a discourse with an upset reader. IMO, and I realize this could be flawed because I'm a little ticked off about it, she acted only as a defender of Coleman. I don't expect she needed to agree with me. But I would have expected her to address my on-going questions. Instead, I felt that her first response was a dismissal. I never asked for a correction, I asked for an apology and she didn't seem to grasp this. She essentially scolded me by saying that I had admitted some of what Coleman wrote was fact, and therefore because of that, and the fact that he'd acknowledged the rest was his "opinion" she wouldn't recommend a correction. I asked for an apology because I felt he had been unfair and even offensive in his tactics. I didn't ask for him to correct anything.

Again, she doesn't have to agree with me for me to be satisfied. I don't believe she adequately addressed (understood?) my complaints, and she failed to respond to my follow-up questions. That doesn't fit my description for a "reader's representative". That's what is burning me as much as Coleman's hack job.

At least you got a response, I did not get a response at all. Coleman is a idiot and it just goes to show that he is more interested in his bashing and leaning journalism then anything that would represent the truth. He missed that day in journalism classes. I mistakenly thought that journalist were to report the truth, if not it should be in the editorial page and not in the sports section.

At least you got a response, I did not get a response at all. Coleman is a idiot and it just goes to show that he is more interested in his bashing and leaning journalism then anything that would represent the truth. He missed that day in journalism classes. I mistakenly thought that journalist were to report the truth, if not it should be in the editorial page and not in the sports section.

Did you write directly to the Reader's Rep, or to Coleman? Coleman didn't respond to me either.

I will only say one thing. Coleman is a columnist, not a reporter. PCM is better able verify if this is write, but columnists comment on situations and that's going to include their opinions, rather than just report the truth like reporters/journalists. I'll give Coleman that much latitude. But it doesn't give him an excuse for falsely trying to defame supporters of UND.

IMO Coleman walked a fine line, a fine line that IMO the Reader's Rep was fooled by. Either she was fooled or I'm overly sensitive, something few people would accuse me of (though I'm guilty of emotionally reacting to some things before thinking them through too). Coleman, like some others that post on these boards very cleverly write small "outs" into statements that make that try to falsely color a situation. When called on it they can claim "I only said it was my opinion" when in context it's very clear what impression they are intending to leave with the reader. The whole idea is that unless the reader is paying very close attention and parsing the words used by the writer very closely, they often won't catch the "out" and end up believing what they read was fact.

IMO it's clear Coleman was doing this and the Reader's Rep, Kate Parry, let him get away with it. Heck, I give money to UND and compared to a segment of society I could be considered "wealthy". Therefore, when I read what Coleman says I would do at a cocktail party "if I still could" I get offended. I don't get offended very easily, but it's clear his intent was to stereotype anyone who supports the UND Fighting Sioux nickname as racist, vulgar, fascist, etc etc etc. I think that is at the least an irresponsible thing to do, and possibly much worse that that. That's why I asked for an apology.

I'd kind of let this go but now this morning I'm kind of ticked off again, and feel like complaining to someone else at the Star Trib.

I'd be more than happy to have someone offer a perspective correcting mine. I'm not above being wrong.

Did you write directly to the Reader's Rep, or to Coleman? Coleman didn't respond to me either.

I will only say one thing. Coleman is a columnist, not a reporter. PCM is better able verify if this is write, but columnists comment on situations and that's going to include their opinions, rather than just report the truth like reporters/journalists. I'll give Coleman that much latitude. But it doesn't give him an excuse for falsely trying to defame supporters of UND.

IMO Coleman walked a fine line, a fine line that IMO the Reader's Rep was fooled by. Either she was fooled or I'm overly sensitive, something few people would accuse me of (though I'm guilty of emotionally reacting to some things before thinking them through too). Coleman, like some others that post on these boards very cleverly write small "outs" into statements that make that try to falsely color a situation. When called on it they can claim "I only said it was my opinion" when in context it's very clear what impression they are intending to leave with the reader. The whole idea is that unless the reader is paying very close attention and parsing the words used by the writer very closely, they often won't catch the "out" and end up believing what they read was fact.

IMO it's clear Coleman was doing this and the Reader's Rep, Kate Parry, let him get away with it. Heck, I give money to UND and compared to a segment of society I could be considered "wealthy". Therefore, when I read what Coleman says I would do at a cocktail party "if I still could" I get offended. I don't get offended very easily, but it's clear his intent was to stereotype anyone who supports the UND Fighting Sioux nickname as racist, vulgar, fascist, etc etc etc. I think that is at the least an irresponsible thing to do, and possibly much worse that that. That's why I asked for an apology.

I'd kind of let this go but now this morning I'm kind of ticked off again, and feel like complaining to someone else at the Star Trib.

I'd be more than happy to have someone offer a perspective correcting mine. I'm not above being wrong.

I did write to the readers rep....No response. I also understand that Coleman is a columnist but he should still do the research and get his facts straight before writing a biased piece. I think it is just ehtical to do so. Just my opinion I could be wrong.....But I doubt it.

I did write to the readers rep....No response. I also understand that Coleman is a columnist but he should still do the research and get his facts straight before writing a biased piece. I think it is just ehtical to do so. Just my opinion I could be wrong.....But I doubt it.

Geez, she wouldn't even respond to you? I think that's pathetic. That's what she's there for (I think).

Whether it's fact or opinion he's offering, we both agree that what he writes should be ethical and I think we both agree that at the best he danced on the wrong side of the finest of lines, and at the worst he plunged way over it. I bet our opinions on that are similar too. :lol:

Geez, she wouldn't even respond to you? I think that's pathetic. That's what she's there for (I think).

Whether it's fact or opinion he's offering, we both agree that what he writes should be ethical and I think we both agree that at the best he danced on the wrong side of the finest of lines, and at the worst he plunged way over it. I bet our opinions on that are similar too. :lol:

I too wrote to the racist Coleman and to the readers rep. Neither of them responded and I wrote pretty much what everyone else has stated that he needs to check his facts before reporting it as truth. Coleman and the Strib lost all credibility with me and rank right up there with the New York Lies...I even let them know about that too.

Maybe 'f-@#$%^' means 'buddy' in the Duluth Indian language. I mean he was complementing you on a 'bunch of awards' right?! :lol:

Seriously, I thought I was in North Minneapolis down at the Canal Park watching the ships come in and go out. Between the thug teenage gangster wannabes talking about their glock, 9mm, and their 50 (pronounced "fity") down at the pier by the lighthouse, and the Indian mumbling about some F-@#$%^ awards. I was confused for a few minutes ;);)

It looks like Dr. K has a new fan in Texas. :ohmy:

North Dakota fighting NCAA's name game

If I was to make a list of my favorite college presidents (and trust me, it would be a short list), Charles Kupchella would be in the top three.

Never heard of Dr. Kupchella? He's the president of the University of North Dakota. Less than a year ago, North Dakota was one of the schools put on notice by the NCAA's Politically Correct Police.

If I were Dr. K I would try to use my new found fame to my advantage. You know, change your name to something cool like "K-Dog", go on tour and get yourself some groupies, but that's me.

No, no.

With this new "rock star" fame, he's going by "C-Kup."

He'll be introducing a new line of fashion for the ladies very soon.

The slogan is, "Every lady wants to fill out a C-Kup." :ohmy:

PS - "Dirty" and "PCM" are again battling, this time to be C-Kup's agent.

So many have said that when the NC$$ has been sued, the NC$$ is unbeatable. I like this statement.

The NCAA's recent track record in court cases features more losses and out-of-court settlements than favorable rulings. If the Fighting Sioux sue, North Dakota, seemingly, has a winnable case.

There is no battle between The Real Deal and the wannabe. :ohmy:

At least you admit you stand no chance against me with your old and feible mind. Plus I have The Oshie on my side and it was a good move on your part to just concede. Take some Ginkgo Biloba and call me in the morning, Grandpa.

At least you admit you stand no chance against me with your old and feible mind.

I might be old, but at least I know how to use spell check. :lol: Plus, I have more insurance. :ohmy:

I know that you secretly envy my close personal relationships with Chuck and T.J. What else can you do? :lol:

Plus I have The Oshie on my side...

When you're ready to stop living on Fantasy Island, give me a call. :lol:

I might be old, but at least I know how to use spell check. :lol: Plus, I have more insurance. :ohmy:

I know that you secretly envy my close personal relationships with Chuck and T.J. What else can you do? :lol:

When you're ready to stop living on Fantasy Island, give me a call. :lol:

Good to see you have awoken from the slumber of your afternoon nap. Earth to old guy though, just because TJ and Chuck let you interview them, doesn't make them your friend or anything else. They simply feel pity for you. I mean they see you wandering the back halls of REA, always lost and asking where the bathroom is. Witnessing this on a daily basis they can't help but feel like they need to help you out if only in the small way of granting you an interview.

Earth to old guy though, just because TJ and Chuck let you interview them, doesn't make them your friend or anything else.

No, but it does mean that I've at least talked to them. :lol:

Yo, Chuckie K's older than me. If you want to be one of his peeps, maybe you should stop dissin' old folks. Know what I'm sayin'? :ohmy:

No, but it does mean that I've at least talked to them. :lol:

Yo, Chuckie K's older than me. If you want to be one of his peeps, maybe you should stop dissin' old folks. Know what I'm sayin'? :lol:

And how many times have you been invited to Chuck's house? That's what I thought. It's all pity talk for you, nothing I'd be too proud of. If you want to be all proud and think of yourself as important though, go right ahead. I know the truth though! You aren't even important enough to get an air conditioner in your office during the summer! At least that's the way I remember it. :ohmy:

C-Kup has aged much more gracefully than you and therefore is not in the same Fit to be in an Old People's Home like you.

And how many times have you been invited to Chuck's house?

So you had cookies and milk with three dozen other UND students at Chuck's and Adele's house. Big deal! I was in his inner sanctum at Twamley, mano a mano. It's the place where he discusses business and serious issues like suing the NCAA. It wasn't like your visit to his house where he gave a stern lecture on student behavior at sporting events and used flash cards to explain why it's not nice to chant the F word in unison at hockey games before you had to lay down on your mat for naptime. :lol:

I know the truth though! You aren't even important enough to get an air conditioner in your office during the summer! At least that's the way I remember it. :lol:
You remember it wrong, which isn't surprising considering that your brain is pickled in beer. I'm important enough to get an air conditioner, but not important enough to get central air. So there! :lol:

C-Kup has aged much more gracefully than you and therefore is not in the same Fit to be in an Old People's Home like you.

Isn't that sort of like saying the Pope is more Catholic than me? :ohmy: And FYI, C. Everett Koop sent me a Life Alert bracelet, so I don't have to go to the home just yet. :huh:

And I'm sorry, folks, but you better drop the "C-Kup" reference because when I told Chuck about it, he said that it was way too unmanly for him.

So you had cookies and milk with three dozen other UND students at Chuck's and Adele's house. Big deal! I was in his inner sanctum at Twamley, mano a mano. It's the place where he discusses business and serious issues like suing the NCAA. It wasn't like your visit to his house where he gave a stern lecture on student behavior at sporting events and used flash cards to explain why it's not nice to chant the F word in unison at hockey games before you had to lay down on your mat for naptime. :lol:

I wish he used flash cards. He kept using 3+ syllable words and I had to keep raising my hand to ask him what they meant. :lol:

You remember it wrong, which isn't surprising considering that your brain is pickled in beer. I'm important enough to get an air conditioner, but not important enough to get central air. So there!
My brain isn't pickled with beer! Don't say mean things like that! I think your office was the one I nearly dropped the air conditioner out of. That would've been cool to see it splatter all over the ground. :lol:

Isn't that sort of like saying the Pope is more Catholic than me? :ohmy: And FYI, C. Everett Koop sent me a Life Alert bracelet, so I don't have to go to the home just yet. :huh:

I'm gonna be C. Everett Koop for Halloween this year. Pimpin it out with the neck beard and sailor suit.