SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I wonder if the idea that he used UI stationary was meant to infer that he was providing an official position of the UI, or writing the letter with the backing of the UI?  That would be worse than a couple of hundred bucks of postage/paper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I see it is that he works for a government agency sending his private mail using tax supported dollars which is a crime. Thats like using a government money/services to run for a politial office. Basically it is a theft of services. I know working for the government myself he would/could be fired quickly and could be prosecuted also for this. I hope his employer goes for his head on this one. I know if I was his supervisor he could be gone. If this had happened at UND I would be writing the chancellor of ND.

also, i don't know what's more pathetic: the idiot using official letterhead for personal gain, or believing that he didn't do anything wrong. these people would never make it on the outside. kick his rear-end out to the street UI!

now, have any of the UND admin/staff done the same?

also, i don't know what's more pathetic:  the idiot using official letterhead for personal gain, or believing that he didn't do anything wrong.  these people would never make it on the outside.  kick his rear-end out to the street UI! 

now, have any of the UND admin/staff done the same?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think under the FOIA I believe we could find that information out.

From The Western Courier (Western Illinois University):

NCAA's rulings on college teams' mascots and nicknames unfair

These rulings on mascots will not affect either university's performance athletically, but it will have a prolonged impact on the reputation of both schools. Both Bradley and Illinois will be looked at as racist schools, while schools such as Florida State are freed from the scrutiny of the media come postseason time.

From The Mercury News:

In Iowa, visitors see red over pink

Just what does pink symbolize, anyway?

At the University of Iowa, it seems, absurdity.

A visiting law professor has found the visitors' all-pink locker room at Kinnick Stadium unsightly. And not for the challenge it would present the Trading Spaces crew.

Instead, Erin Buzuvis interprets the color scheme as demeaning - ``a subtle way of painting the words `sissy' or `girlie man,' '' according to her web blog.

Hate speech, in other words.

Fortunately, the NCAA's insipid ``hostile and abusive'' ban hasn't extended to colors. Yet.

I wish some of these reporters would mention that the NCAA considers Iowa a "model" insititution because of it's policy against playing teams with American Indian nicknames.

I think it is laudable that someone is taking a closer look at racism and discrimination in U.S. culture. All too often this becomes an issue of black and white, leaving out other minority groups (such as Native Americans). I do not think that a collective ban on Native American logos by the NCAA is a step towards ending racism in the United States. The real problem is socioeconomic boundaries and social problems such as poverty, alcoholism, and domestic abuse on reservations.

It is unfortunate, but

I think it is laudable that someone is taking a closer look at racism and discrimination in U.S. culture. All too often this becomes an issue of black and white, leaving out other minority groups (such as Native Americans). I do not think that a collective ban on Native American logos by the NCAA is a step towards ending racism in the United States. The real problem is socioeconomic boundaries and social problems such as poverty, alcoholism, and domestic abuse on reservations.

It is unfortunate, but

First off, as I have stated before, racism is a term that is open to interpretation. That's where it is so disasterous. It doesn't matter what you, I, or any institution says or does, someone could dig deep enough or twist it enough to make it look racist. EVERYTHING is racist. White snow is neat. Black snow is dirty and ugly. Is that racist? If you look at the facts, no. No one likes eating dirty snow or playing in it. Would someone find it racist anyhow? You bet. Racism as a term is no longer what it was designed to mean. It is now something used by minorities every time that minority doesn't get its way. It's like being female and claiming a guy sexually harrassed you just because she didn't like a business decision he made.

White privilege doesn't exist. Period. If it did, then the percentage of whites on welfare and medicaid would be 0. We'd all drive brand new cars, make 100 percent of the money in the US economy, and, as a rule, become ignorant of everyone else. Rosa Parks would have been thrown off the bus. No one would have made any care of Martin Luther King Jr. The Civil Rights movement would have just been one big riot put down by our lackies and historically moved on. Did that happen? Nope. Rosa Parks changed history. MLK Jr. openned a society's eyes. Civil Rights was not a riot, but a revolution. Sure, at one time white privilege may have existed, but certainly not since the early 1900s.

Changing a nickname isn't opening a society's eyes. It does nothing for the Native American except whatever gratification they can reach for a minority of a minority winning a meaningless battle over a majority. What will they get out of this? Well, GK et al claimed they'd get their dignity back... How? They complain about the conditions on the reservation, alcoholism, drug use, the failure of education, and unemployment to name a few... how is the nickname going to change that? This isn't a world of entitlement. It is a world based on what you can do for yourself. Peers who've earned their place will always be looked upon with respect and listened to. People who expect to garner the same respect for whatever reason save earning it only become whiners and thorns in the side of society. Some Native Americans have earned the right to be respected and honored. Others feel that they deserve it because of some atrocity in the past. THese entitlists are pretenders in the area of respect.

I believe right here you have what the real issue are that are effecting our society, not just native amiercans. However in you next paragraph I believe you missed the point.

It is unfortunate, but

From the Dallas Morning News:

NCAA committee backs ban on mascots

The chairman of the NCAA's executive committee on Thursday reaffirmed support for the group's recent controversial decision banning the use at championship events of mascots and nicknames deemed hostile and abusive toward Native Americans.

"We believe it's an important position for the association to take," said Walter Harrison, president of the University of Hartford. He acknowledged surprise at the volume of dissent after the policy was announced in early August following four years of study