SiouxSports.com Forum

Question to those opposed:

airmail

What, if anything, could the University do to keep the Sioux name associated with it's athletic teams? I would be interested in hearing your opinions on what steps they could take to keep the name, and at the same time honor the culture. Certainly a first step would be getting rid of the "Sioux-per Dog" type stuff, as many here have mentioned. I agree, it is ridiculous.

What would it take?

Although I am a proponent of keeping the name, this is a question that I have been thinking about ever since the NCAA descision was handed down. Here are a couple of thoughts:

(1) UND could make an annual report to the Board of Higher Education along with a Tribal Leader or group of Leaders showing what UND has done to aid Native American's within the last year. This could include such things as assisiting in grant writing for a variety of programs, or perhaps helping provide educational opportunities to the reservations through the internet. It could be a variety of things but the bottom line would be a continued effort to enhance the lives of Native American's and the educational opportunities afforded to them.

(2) I am going to get flammed for this but here goes - The various Native American Tribes within the state of ND get a portion of the proceeds for the sales of UND Sioux wear. I believe Florida State has an arrangement wherby a % of the proceeds go back to the Seminoles.

(3) Have an Advisory Board of UND Students that include Native Americans and non-Native Americans to bridge the gap between our perceptions and the Native Americans perception of the various underlying issues.

(4) Get rid of SIOUX DOG and everything else along those lines as that is just plain stupid to have concession products named in that manner.

Just some thoughts...

SFSIOUX#1,

I like your thinking. Those are the types of things I was thinking of in my other thread (I actually not totally...). I think there are things that the school could offer the Sioux nation and see what they think.

The only difference I see, is that I was speaking more of athletic opportunities. Camps, workshops, etc.

Let's build this relationship, rather then tearing it apart!

Meanwhile, Rep. Tom Feeney,R-Fla., who sits on the House Judiciary Committee, said his office will push the NCAA to reconsider and, if rebuked, he'll seek legislative relief. That, the Orlando lawmaker said, could be an amendment to antitrust laws "to specifically prohibit what the NCAA has done. ... They have the right to promulgate reasonable rules, but they don't have the right to promulgate unreasonable rules. Effectively, they're restraining in this case the right of Florida State students and Florida State athletes and Florida State supporters to participate in and support postseason play."

Feeney also criticized the new NCAA guidelines as restrictions on free speech and an infringement on colleges' autonomy.

Maybe Sens. Dorgan and Conrad, as well as Pomeroy can get off their asses and do the same.

More insight from USAToady.

USAToady

1. Free tuition to those Sioux NA students who are academically elgible to attend UND.

2. Summer education programs for HS students who want/need help to become academically elgible to be accepted into UND.

3. % of profits from the Sioux logo be used to support the programs listed. I disagree with giving the money to the different Sioux tribes without stipulation for it's use.

4. Free tuition and a stipend for those NAs who chose service careers that will address the problems such as chemical abuse, teenage pregnancy, pre-natal care, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Economic growth, etc. Stipulate that those educated in these areas have to work with the Sioux population a minimum of two or more? years or they will have to pay for the UND education they have received.

There are some programs right now that will pay for your schooling if you will teach on a reservation, are there not? Maybe it's just if you stay in ND though?

Those were some good ideas though, SiouxCIA. And what would that really cost the school? It could really help everyone.

1. Free tuition to those Sioux NA students who are academically elgible to attend UND.

2. Summer education programs for HS students who want/need help to become academically elgible to be accepted into UND.

3. % of profits from the Sioux logo be used to support the programs listed. I disagree with giving the money to the different Sioux tribes without stipulation for it's use. 

4.  Free tuition and a stipend for those NAs  who chose service careers that will address the problems such as chemical abuse, teenage pregnancy, pre-natal care, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Economic growth, etc. Stipulate that those educated in these areas have to work with the Sioux population a minimum of two or more? years or they will have to pay for the UND education they have received.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that proceeds should go towards some programing and did not mean to infer that members of the tirbe would get $$$'s.

I fully agree with ScottM. North Dakota's elected officials need to LOUDLY weigh-in. The Herald had a tepid rebuke from Hoeven, but I've heard nothing from Conrad, Dorgan, or Pomeroy. At a minimum, those guys should be communicating with the legislators from Florida and putting together a strategy.

Although success is far from certain in either forum, I believe our fortunes are better in the legislative arena rather than the judicial arena.

EVERYONE on this board who supports the nickname should send a short and respectful email urging them to act to preserve the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. And they should also send an email to their friends who feel the same urging them to send an email as well.

The other side has already mastered the art of activism. We need to get off our butts and let the collective voice of the silent majority be heard.

(Someone else feel free to post better and more user friendly links)

DORGAN

senator@dorgan.senate.gov

CONRAD

POMEROY (apparently you must be N.D. resident to contact him)

HOEVEN

governor@state.nd.us

I was really hoping to see some of those oppossed to the name address the questions that were posed in this thread. I guess "compromise" is not a viable option for those of you in the minority for changing the name.

We live in a society that the minority thinks we need to cater to them and screw the majority. Compromise does not appear to be in the minorities vocabulary.

I was really hoping to see some of those oppossed to the name address the questions that were posed in this thread.  I guess "compromise" is not a viable option for those of you in the minority for changing the name. 

We live in a society that the minority thinks we need to cater to them and screw the majority.  Compromise does not appear to be in the minorities vocabulary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess i havent replied because it is simply too late for compromise. UND has gone too far ignoring tribes requests and Kupchella's comments in particular. He said he was only aware of a few opponents or something like that, but he formed a committee on the Name issue. Obviously there a little more than a few people concerned. The only options are really 1. continue to ignore the Sioux tribes and keep the name or 2. change the name and work on re-building the relationships with the area tribes.

UND has gone too far ignoring tribes requests

The only options are really 1. continue to ignore the Sioux tribes and keep the name or 2. change the name and work on re-building the relationships with the area tribes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would Native American education programs be as prominent as they are on campus if it were not UND's sensitivities about the 'Fighting Sioux' name? The great paradox of this whole issue seems to be that the 'Fighting Sioux" name has advanced higher education for Native Americans.

Perhaps schools that really ignore the Sioux tribes are in the state where the most Sioux reside: South Dakota. Indian enrollment at SDSU and USD is much less than at UND, but yet the Native American population in South Dakota is more than twice that of North Dakota.

What fostered UND's commitment to Native Americans and why has it become a mecca for them?

If UND dropped the nickname, would it still be as sensitive to the educational needs of L/D/N or other tribal members? I personally would hope that UND would continue to enhance its N.A. programs, but would it still happen without the name?

The only options are really 1. continue to ignore the Sioux tribes and keep the name or 2. change the name and work on re-building the relationships with the area tribes.

You certainly have a bad case of tunnel vision. I suggest you take off the blinders and take a look at the programs and services that are available to NAs at the University of North Dakota. Not enough for you? Compare them with other institutions that profess to offer similar programs. Don't like the new building for AISS, shall we take some money from the IN-Med or RAIN programs to make it 'greater'? I believe that "rebuilding" is the wrong word. "Continue" is more like it. As a member of the minority opposed to keeping the name and logo, you want your demands for change met. Yet you are totally opposed to the opinion of those Sioux (whom you believe to be a minority) who are not opposed to the name and logo.

It's been fun responding to your inane postings but I'm begining to think that I'm dealing with an Idiot Savant and I was raised not to make fun of the handicapped.

Just know that I believe your energies would be better spent in working directly with the NAs who need your help, be it in tutoring, counseling, teaching, etc. You say your from LA? How much time have you spent in East or West LA, done any volunteer work there or any where similar? I bet not; 'those people' are not the kind you would help. They're the wrong minority. (And before you ask, I do volunteer work every Saturday and Sunday morning.)