SiouxSports.com Forum

How good will the Sioux be this year?

Let'sGoHawks!

We still don't know who will be here when the season starts, but what does everyone think of the team this year? Extremely young, but tons of potential. How good will Toews be this year? I can't wait to see Joe Finley on skates! He will be around 6'9" on them! I expect Greene to leave, but I think that will be it. It should be an exciting year!

More goals scored per game. More shots on goal per game. More shots on our goal per game.

Those are a few things.

I expect our defense to be raw but good. Not going to be as stifling as last two years. It will take some acclimation before it really clicks in.

Inexperience will be our biggest weakness. Penalties will be the second biggest.

Forgot to add: I am not sure what the fall out will be should Adam ref at the Ralph anytime this year... Perhaps we should figure out what kinds of suspensions fans and players could get if they "accidentally" drove Adam off the ice for whatever reason. :ohmy:

Edited by redwing77

I believe we will have bumps early like all young teams. I do think that we will be very tough to play. We have very young but skilled forwards coming in to play with stafford, zajac, spirko and so forth. I see this team giving up a few more goals because of the young D but on the other hand we should be better when it comes to lighting the lamp!!! I see some higher scoring games on each end but in the end I want to be in Milwaukee like the rest of the sioux fans.I think Prpich will be a big factor as a leader and I see Smaby having a huge year like he ended last season.Having Parise in the nets with his valuable experience is huge. I see Phil playing a lot as well like last season and whoever gets hot will take over when it comes to the NCAA'S. Can't wait to see how this team looks on the ice!!!! GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea on who the captains will be?

Greene may be gone, so, for the sake of this discussion, we can assume he signs.

I don't think Marvin would be captain material.

I'd guess that the C would be worn by Stafford. A's to Prpich and Porter?

Gosh, I really have no idea on this. What do you all think?

Stafford is a solid guess, i guess im not sure either? maybe the A's go to Prpich and then either Parise, Porter or Smaby..

Greene may be gone, so, for the sake of this discussion, we can assume he signs.

I'd guess that the C would be worn by Stafford.  A's to Prpich and Porter? 

Gosh, I really have no idea on this.  What do you all think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I was told it looks as if we don't even need to play the season since the Gophers signed Phil Kessel... All seriously I expect UND to contend for the title.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that the truth.I'm looking forward to BIG JOE introducing himself to Mr. Kessel.

I'd guess that the C would be worn by Stafford.  A's to Prpich and Porter? 

Gosh, I really have no idea on this.  What do you all think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good choices there I have to say. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Prpich with the C, it would kinda remind me of Armbrust in a way. A role player who does his job and does it WELL. But these are just guesses since none of us know who is a leader in the locker room.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to guess that Prpich gets the C. He's a senior, he's intelligent, he's tough, and he leads by example. He played much of last year with a serious injury and never complained publicly.

A defenseman will get an A at minimum. That might be Smaby this year, almost by default.

I'd like to see Stafford step up as a leader. He might be a candidate for an A or even the C. Fabian was mentioned by Blais as a potential captain when he was a freshman. His time may be a year away. I'd love to see Zajac with a C some day, but I don't think he'll be on campus long enough for that to happen.

Dont get your expectations to high. We will have at least 8 freshmen in the lineup every night and teams that young usually wear down at the end of the season, like Wisconsin did last year. With that being said remember that in 1997, 2000 and 2001 a lot of people didn't expect much from the Sioux. Like someone said in an earlier post just get into the regionls because we host them.

I like Fabian as Captain and Prpich and Stafford wearing the A's. I wouldn't mind Parise either, but I dont like goalies being captain or assistants.

Lets just hope that after Greene signs, no one else goes too.

Seems to me the Sioux will be as good as the freshmen contrbution makes them. If the freshmen step up an play like veterans, the Sioux are as good as any team in the country. But if they play like freshmen, a mid-pack finish is a very reasonable expectation.

I see them taking some lumps early and finishing third or fourth in the WCHA, but I expect them to be as dangerous as ever come tourney time...