SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Only 1 and a half hours away. Two teams ready to go head to head. This game could give an advantage to the winner as they prepare to meet again in the post season. It will be the clash of two titans, the crowd will be electric, I bet these kids can't wait for the JV's to get off the ice. This is not just your ordinary high school hockey game this is Wahpeton and Jamestown! And you thought I was talking about Grafton and South :bigsmile:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1 and a half hours away. Two teams ready to go head to head. This game could give an advantage to the winner as they prepare to meet again in the post season. It will be the clash of two titans, the crowd will be electric, I bet these kids can't wait for the JV's to get off the ice. This is not just your ordinary high school hockey game this is Wahpeton and Jamestown! And you thought I was talking about Grafton and South :bigsmile:

Well, I did think that until I got to your use of the word "electric" - everything in the Coliseum runs on firewood and that was the tip off. Of course, as the consulting architects say, the building is structurally sound.

I dont think we should compare red river vs south and red river vs north as one game was 9-0 and other 4-3 in overtime. I wouldnt say red river outworked south being out shot by 7 or 8. They won the game and deserved it but I dont think south was embarrassed by that one loss.

Never did I compare a 9-0 thumping to a 4-3 thriller. Both games gave Red River more momentum. No one ever said they embarrassed South. Settle down.

Attended the South-Grafton game tonight as I listened to Red River and Central, boy technology these days :bigsmile: . After watching Grafton I think we should stop mentioning them as a strong state title contender. Red River and South are the teams to watch. Too bad south only played 49 minutes and 54 seconds tonight a 4 goal margin to work with is a lot better then the 2 goal advantage they hold over Red River as of right now. Red River was up 6-3 with about two minutes left in the game when I stopped listening. Mihulka with 2 shorties tonight, closed circut to ND Pride, always love the coliseum humor.

South and Grafton game was 6-0 and run time in the third period with 1:06 to go and Grafton scored two late goals to close the gap. Weisgarber had two goals and I think the Campbell's were shut out although they played well.

Can South ever finish a game without letting in late goals? I mean come on, 04 state championship game, Let up a goal with one second left up in Grafton earlier this year, RR last week, one against Crookston late, now against Grafton again which could make a huge difference for the 1 and 2 seed.

Attended the South-Grafton game tonight as I listened to Red River and Central, boy technology these days :bigsmile: . After watching Grafton I think we should stop mentioning them as a strong state title contender. Red River and South are the teams to watch. Too bad south only played 49 minutes and 54 seconds tonight a 4 goal margin to work with is a lot better then the 2 goal advantage they hold over Red River as of right now. Red River was up 6-3 with about two minutes left in the game when I stopped listening. Mihulka with 2 shorties tonight, closed circut to ND Pride, always love the coliseum humor.

Well, everyone just has to get over to the Coliseum to see the new netting around the entire glass - very exciting stuff. The stuff is a little thick but does not impede the vision too bad. If you are trying to see who is on the other side of the arena it is tough as you have two layers of netting to look through - trust me - it is tough to see who the fans are on the other side.

I think you are right about Grafton perhaps not being a contender along with South and Red River. Red River has beaten them 4-1 and now South really handled them solidly. Grafton has some very good players obviously in addition to Paul and Tom Campbell and Andy Peterson but they could not match the depth of South. Someone said before the third period that now we will see what Grafton is made of - well, they kept focused and deserve a lot of credit for playing hard to the end of the game - net result is they salvaged some pride with the two goals - one at 1:06 and the final one with 43 seconds left in the game.

If I were giving out team awards I would say that Red River deserves the "best reload" award for the quality that they have shown this year after losing quite a few kids to graduation. A real credit to the Grand Forks kids and their feeder program. West Fargo deserves some credit too as they have out performed what they presented "on paper" before the season started. Some of the credit for that probably goes to former Grand Forks Central player Tim Capouch who is an assistant coach at West Fargo. One other comment on South/Grafton - I think the future Mr. Hockey was on the ice tonight at the Coliseum - in a home jersey.

This is gonna sound weird but is there anything on Jamestown and Wahpeton tonight? Right now I'd have to give kudos to the West Fargo coaching staff this team is not a 4th place team talent wise, but they've scrapped their way through and found a way to win close games. I think Ross Richards would be a very deserving candidate of coach of the year, and I have known Capouch since he ran the teamsters arena and he does f fabulous job of coaching, one of those old time guys. I also believe Troy Miller is on there bench, he coached youth hockey in West Fargo for years and is an all around good guy. Big game tomorrow night for the Spartans they could improve their odds greatly of being the 5 seed if they steal one in WF tomorrow, hopefully my son and I will make it over there to see if we still have a dog in the 5 seed fight.

I was impressed with Red River tonight. They don't really have any superstars, just a lot of hard working players. Although the Central goalies gave up some weak ones, they had a lot of opportunities, and I'd say that they deserved to score six goals with the way they played. Rosendahl made some nice saves for Red River, yet gave up some weak ones. If he plays well in the state tournament we'll be talking about back to back....

I was impressed with Red River tonight. They don't really have any superstars, just a lot of hard working players. Although the Central goalies gave up some weak ones, they had a lot of opportunities, and I'd say that they deserved to score six goals with the way they played. Rosendahl made some nice saves for Red River, yet gave up some weak ones. If he plays well in the state tournament we'll be talking about back to back....

Red River did play well tonight, although the first period was rather weak offensively, as they generated very few shots on net. The only knock on RR that I have is that I have yet to see them play a complete 51 minutes this year. The South game was very close, but they took about 5 minutes off and South scored all three goals. I highly doubt they will be able to beat FS come tournament time if they dont put togther a complete game. I would also have to disagree with you about the weak goals call, the first one was a rebound which he had no chance at and the third was hit in by a teammate. The only goal he had a shot at was the second, the shot hit his blocker and deflected just under the crossbar.

Careful. WHen I said that RR and South were the top 2 teams in the state, I nearly got my head ripped off.

You'd best say "RR and South are good. They are above most of the teams in the standings."

So how many goals does RR need get against Grafton to be in first.

Well from my understanding when i talked to someone that was involved with the NDAHA he said it was goals differential, but someone on this thread said it was goals scored. I went to that site and couldnt find anything on it so i still think its goal differential. In that case RR would have to beat Grafton by 2 to tie South and 3 to take first. If it is goals scored RR would have to score 4 to tie and 5 to win.

Well, I did think that until I got to your use of the word "electric" - everything in the Coliseum runs on firewood and that was the tip off. Of course, as the consulting architects say, the building is structurally sound.

Don't get me started on a rant about the "sructurally sound" Coliseum. :bigsmile: The city is on crack thinking that a renovation is the answer. What is structurally sound? To expand the rink to full size they are going to have to rip the damn thing down to the foundations anyway. What are they going to use of the original building? I'd love to hear the cities plans instead of "our architects say that the building is structurally sound". So is fricken alcatraz, but I wouldn't want to play hockey in there. ;)

Maybe we can buy the old REA for a cup of coffee and move the thing to Fargo and plant it in a central location. Let's not forget that a new highscool will be opening in Fargo in 5 years and it will be located at 73rd ave. south. THat's a haul to the Coliseum.

End of rant. :love:;)

Does anyone know what type of talent that GF Central has in their "farm system"? It seems that GF Central has a limited amount of talent this year. They are good enough to knock of anyone but it would take a perfect game, which is unlikely to happen. They seem to be undisciplined and every mistake they make turns into a goal for the other team.

Don't get me started on a rant about the "sructurally sound" Coliseum. :bigsmile: The city is on crack thinking that a renovation is the answer. What is structurally sound? To expand the rink to full size they are going to have to rip the damn thing down to the foundations anyway. What are they going to use of the original building? I'd love to hear the cities plans instead of "our architects say that the building is structurally sound". So is fricken alcatraz, but I wouldn't want to play hockey in there. ;)

Maybe we can buy the old REA for a cup of coffee and move the thing to Fargo and plant it in a central location. Let's not forget that a new highscool will be opening in Fargo in 5 years and it will be located at 73rd ave. south. THat's a haul to the Coliseum.

End of rant. ;):D

Great post! :love: I could not have said it better myself!

The tie-breaker is goal differential against the 3rd place team in the region (Grafton), which can be found on the ndhsaa website under 2005-06 Rules and Regulations. So if RR beats Grafton by one goal or less, South is the 1 seed. If RR wins by 2, there is a coin flip, and if they win by 3 they are the 1 seed. This of course assuming neither RR or FS stumble hard before the end of the year.

Does anyone know what type of talent that GF Central has in their "farm system"? It seems that GF Central has a limited amount of talent this year. They are good enough to knock of anyone but it would take a perfect game, which is unlikely to happen. They seem to be undisciplined and every mistake they make turns into a goal for the other team.

There are always good hockey players in Grand Forks, so I don't think Central will be hurting. Outside of the second period last night I thought Central played pretty well. They don't have any Mr. Hockey's this season, and their goaltending has struggled, but I'd be willing to bet they find a way into the State Tournament.

End of rant. :love:;)

Of course, my comment - quoting the consulting architects saying the building was "structurally sound" was intended as a joke given the context of my comments about the Coliseum running on "firewood" and not electricity. I agree with your assessment of the Coliseum - the entire internal structure would need to be redone and to expand the ice you would have to literally take the place apart.

Great post! :love: I could not have said it better myself!

And another thing. It pisses me off that the Forum continues to report that Fargo has shot down youth hockeys needs for a new facility. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Fargo with a $40 million hockey rink, but I hope The Forum wasn't fooled into thinking that these were actually efforts to help youth hockey. They were for Bison Hockey and the voters said no to that!!

Enough of the rants, I'm leaving to Palm Spring is 3 hours so I'm done being pissed.

Of course, my comment - quoting the consulting architects saying the building was "structurally sound" was intended as a joke given the context of my comments about the Coliseum running on "firewood" and not electricity. I agree with your assessment of the Coliseum - the entire internal structure would need to be redone and to expand the ice you would have to literally take the place apart.

Hey they could use the bleachers for the firewood. I know you were joking ND Pride, but the city of Fargo isn't. :bigsmile:

Hey they could use the bleachers for the firewood. I know you were joking ND Pride, but the city of Fargo isn't. :bigsmile:

Yeah, and that is the sad part of it. Not sure what the solution is to that rink issue. As I used to say, if a ball washer was not functioning properly at El Zagel they would have it fixed in a day - but hockey rinks - another issue

Red River did play well tonight, although the first period was rather weak offensively, as they generated very few shots on net. The only knock on RR that I have is that I have yet to see them play a complete 51 minutes this year. The South game was very close, but they took about 5 minutes off and South scored all three goals. I highly doubt they will be able to beat FS come tournament time if they dont put togther a complete game. I would also have to disagree with you about the weak goals call, the first one was a rebound which he had no chance at and the third was hit in by a teammate. The only goal he had a shot at was the second, the shot hit his blocker and deflected just under the crossbar.

I agree with you 100%. I thought that RR scored on their chances for the most part and Central couldn't get anything going at all. I thought Central's second goal and the third goal were just simply bad bounces. On the second goal a RR player was trying to carry the puck out and he lost it in the water that wasn't frozen yet on the rink. Purpur Arena needs to fix that problem with the water not freezing. The third goal was another bad bounce as it deflected off of a RR defender in front of the net after Rosendahl made the initial save. I thought some of RR's goals could have been stopped by most goalies. After Central pulled their starting goalie their backup Josh Ness let in the first three shots he faced. This game could have been much closer if their would have been some better goaltending and not so many bad bounces.