SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

All I can say after watching the South vs RR game is WOW, that had to be the greatest HS hockey game I have ever seen. I agree 100% with QB Eagles #7. RR out hustled the Bruins the whole game, it was also I very physical game. It got a little chippy in the 3rd as Vigen and Powers both got kicked out for roughing. Some of those RR kids have to be in damn good shape. RR's Ladouceur and Galbreath were out there for a very long time in the late 3rd and in OT. What a goal by Meland in OT to give the Riders a W and give FS there first loss of the year. All I can say about Eric Meland is clutch, in everything he does. I'm very excited to see how this year turns out, I cant wait for the State Tournament. Other goals by RR were scored by Spies, Rau, and Delisle.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say after watching the South vs RR game is WOW, that had to be the greatest HS hockey game I have ever seen. I agree 100% with QB Eagles #7. RR out hustled the Bruins the whole game, it was also I very physical game. It got a little chippy in the 3rd as Vigen and Powers both got kicked out for roughing. Some of those RR kids have to be in damn good shape. RR's Ladouceur and Galbreath were out there for a very long time in the late 3rd and in OT. What a goal by Meland in OT to give the Riders a W and give FS there first loss of the year. All I can say about Eric Meland is clutch, in everything he does. I'm very excited to see how this year turns out, I cant wait for the State Tournament. Other goals by RR were scored by Spies, Rau, and Delisle.

Now look here you logger-headed, tickel-brained, pompion. I was also in attendance of the South/Red River game and I'm going to have to disagree that RR out-hustled South the whole game. It was a game of periods. The first was pretty even. Hard-hitting (as was the whole game) and very defensive. South definately out-hustled RR in the 2nd, but RR was the top dog when it counted (the 3rd and OT.) I do agree that it was a great game, probably 3rd-best I've ever seen South play in person (#1 - 2004 v. North 4-4 tie and #2 - 2005 @ Moorhead). It will be a helluva state tourney.

Just got back from the South-RR game and all I can say is wow. Probably the best high school hockey game I've ever seen, had everything.

Indeed it did have everything. 7 goals scored between them, hardfaught comeback, big hits, great passing plays, a bit of a fight, spectacular goalie saves, and a thrilling overtime breakaway finish. Amazing HS hockey game.

Interesting that it took OT to get a winner.

RR and South are clearly the best teams in ND. Both are having great years and the tourney will have to be where it is decided because I'm sure South isn't going to let up after this set back.

-------------------------

In an unrelated note: I listened to a bit of the Moorhead-Warroad hockey game on the radio and was wondering who does the radio commentary? Seriously, the guy sounded drunk. If the action increased, his speech got slurred. Also, "WHOOOOOOOOAAAA" doesn't do very good on the radio. I'm really happy now with our radio crew that does Sioux games. At least they know that "WHOOOOOAAAAA" comes AFTER they describe what is happening. At least listening to the game inspired me. It left me saying "Hey, if that putz can call games, I certainly can and probably do it better!" And no, I've never done it before. Even so, he was that bad.

I think you are dead wrong redwing77 to say that south and red river are the two best teams in the state is a very bold statement. How can you say they are the best, because they have winning records? I'm not saying they aren't the best teams in the state. Don't get me wrong. I just think it is wrong at this point in the season to be making comments like that. There are still 3 very important weeks left in the seasaon. Anything could happen from now to then. South is a very talented team and so is red river, but if you watched them play you would know you can't make that comment. I'm not sure if you were at the game, but if you were and you knew anything about hockey, you'd know red river isn't as good as you're making them out to be. For example did you happen to watch red river try to break the puck out of there own zone. It was like watching a batam team. They couldn't make a simple headman pass to the guy on the half wall. The defense would get the puck behind the net and do one of three things. They would either: ring the puck as hard as they could and hoped it got out of the zone, throw a bad pass up through their forwards legs, or just simply chip it out and hope it didn't turn into an icing. Their power play wasn't good, to put it nicely. They simply worked hard tonight and wanted it more than south and that's why they won the game. Not because they are the better team. They have a lot of work to do before they can be called one of the best teams in the state. They are a good team and I respect them cause they put on a heck of a game tonight and I really enjoyed watching them tonight. I look forward to seeing them play north at their rink on tuesday.

I also look forward to seeing how south takes this loss. I think this was one of the best things that could have happened to south at this point in the season. Granted no one wants to loose, but I think it's a very humbling experiance for them. This shows that they are human, they can loose, and will again. No one's perfect. South should realize that tonight and take this loss with a grain of salt. They are a great team and have a lot of talent, and I think this loss can only make them a better team.

I think you are dead wrong redwing77 to say that south and red river are the two best teams in the state is a very bold statement. How can you say they are the best, because they have winning records? I'm not saying they aren't the best teams in the state. Don't get me wrong. I just think it is wrong at this point in the season to be making comments like that. There are still 3 very important weeks left in the seasaon. Anything could happen from now to then. South is a very talented team and so is red river, but if you watched them play you would know you can't make that comment. I'm not sure if you were at the game, but if you were and you knew anything about hockey, you'd know red river isn't as good as you're making them out to be. For example did you happen to watch red river try to break the puck out of there own zone. It was like watching a batam team. They couldn't make a simple headman pass to the guy on the half wall. The defense would get the puck behind the net and do one of three things. They would either: ring the puck as hard as they could and hoped it got out of the zone, throw a bad pass up through their forwards legs, or just simply chip it out and hope it didn't turn into an icing. Their power play wasn't good, to put it nicely. They simply worked hard tonight and wanted it more than south and that's why they won the game. Not because they are the better team. They have a lot of work to do before they can be called one of the best teams in the state. They are a good team and I respect them cause they put on a heck of a game tonight and I really enjoyed watching them tonight. I look forward to seeing them play north at their rink on tuesday.

I also look forward to seeing how south takes this loss. I think this was one of the best things that could have happened to south at this point in the season. Granted no one wants to loose, but I think it's a very humbling experiance for them. This shows that they are human, they can loose, and will again. No one's perfect. South should realize that tonight and take this loss with a grain of salt. They are a great team and have a lot of talent, and I think this loss can only make them a better team.

what more would Red River and Fargo South have to do to prove that they are the top teams at this point in the year?

Were you even at the game, it says that you joined at 8 yesterday.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Last night Bismarck beat Century in overtime 3-2. Ross Monson had 2 goals for the Demons. He looked very good again. It was a very hard fought game, and BHS goalie Michael Hillman and Century goalie Nick Dene came up with some huge saves in the third period to keep it tied for overtime. With about 3 minutes left Hillman stopped 2 great chances in a row(including a breakaway). It was a very good game with some big hits.

Last night Bismarck beat Century in overtime 3-2. Ross Monson had 2 goals for the Demons. He looked very good again. It was a very hard fought game, and BHS goalie Michael Hillman and Century goalie Nick Dene came up with some huge saves in the third period to keep it tied for overtime. With about 3 minutes left Hillman stopped 2 great chances in a row(including a breakaway). It was a very good game with some big hits.

Thanks for the recap :D

Great.......another eastern North Dakota hockey chest thumping thread. I'm from Minot, and every time I try to have a legitimate conversation with someone regarding high school hockey all I hear is......HAH....Minot??? Or when I try to talk about the up and coming young programs that are just starting to get kids interested in playing hockey (Mandan, Hazen, etc.) all I hear is...ohh well Western hockey is just atrocious.

Let the "The state tournament should only be East Region teams" chest thumping thread of fame begin.....

I agree that these thumpers will be ignored.

Imagine what would have happened to alum05 and all if RR lost to South? Or what WOULD happen if Minot or a Fargo team takes out one or both GF teams in the tourney? Really, it is just chest thumping.

It amazes me how people can cast aside a good game just to say that that same one game means that one set of high schoolers is better than another set of high schoolers PLUS all those who root for the "other" set of high schoolers are, at best, idiots. On the DI thread we make note of that attitude all the time. It's called "Gopher arrogance."

I don't care if Walt Disney thinks what I said is "dead wrong." His reasons, though IMO weak, are his reasons. What I do think is that there are a lot of teams out there that can, on any given night, make a game of it even if, in the end, they end up losing. From the sounds of the RR/South tilt, it was a VERY good game and I wish I could have seen it. I like to think that it was a good game and not just a reason for GF Homers to gloat.

Walt Disney, for starters can you please string together a few rational thoughts next time you post? Fargo South has lost one game all year. Red River has lost one EDC game all year. The only other team in the state that is even in the same time zone as these two teams is Grafton. What else do they have to do to be considered one of the best teams in the state? You said- "I think you are dead wrong redwing77 to say that south and red river are the two best teams in the state". But then you say "I'm not saying they aren't the best teams in the state. Don't get me wrong.". Make up your mind Walt. I think first you should work on the mechanics of writing a logical paragraph before you start criticizing a teams break out and power play. You refer to Red River's break out as "watching a batam team". Explain to us please, what is a "batam" team? You probably intended to say bantam, but in any case, you hardly have enough intelligence to make a legitimate post on what you saw at the game, so I doubt you know as much about the sport as you say you do. In the meantime, if Red River has a lot to work on before they can be considered one of the best teams in the state, who are your top 4? And please don't say the Fargo Flames :D

I agree that these thumpers will be ignored.

Imagine what would have happened to alum05 and all if RR lost to South? Or what WOULD happen if Minot or a Fargo team takes out one or both GF teams in the tourney? Really, it is just chest thumping.

It amazes me how people can cast aside a good game just to say that that same one game means that one set of high schoolers is better than another set of high schoolers PLUS all those who root for the "other" set of high schoolers are, at best, idiots. On the DI thread we make note of that attitude all the time. It's called "Gopher arrogance."

I don't care if Walt Disney thinks what I said is "dead wrong." His reasons, though IMO weak, are his reasons. What I do think is that there are a lot of teams out there that can, on any given night, make a game of it even if, in the end, they end up losing. From the sounds of the RR/South tilt, it was a VERY good game and I wish I could have seen it. I like to think that it was a good game and not just a reason for GF Homers to gloat.

Why are you quoting Wilbur from half a year ago?

With South and Red River now both holding 1 goal wins over each other, does anybody know the specifics of the tie break system if both teams finish with one loss?

If teams are tied at the end of regular season play, their regional position shall be determined by:

A. Most wins in head to head (region record among tied teams) competition

If still tied,

B. Most goals scored head to head (region record among tied teams) competition

If still tied,

C. Most wins against highest ranked team in the region (Next team below if teams are tied for first place)

If still tied,

D. Greatest differential in goals for/goals against top-ranked team in region

(Next team below if the teams are tied for first place)

If still tied,

E. Coin flips by a NDHSAA representative

If teams are tied at the end of regular season play, their regional position shall be determined by:

A. Most wins in head to head (region record among tied teams) competition

If still tied,

B. Most goals scored head to head (region record among tied teams) competition

If still tied,

C. Most wins against highest ranked team in the region (Next team below if teams are tied for first place)

If still tied,

D. Greatest differential in goals for/goals against top-ranked team in region

(Next team below if the teams are tied for first place)

If still tied,

E. Coin flips by a NDHSAA representative

Thanks for digging the tie-breaker information out - much appreciated.

Another big game on Thursday has Central and Red River playing one another. The last time these teams met it went down the wire, and either team could have won the game. It would be a tremendous boost for Central if they could not only beat their cross town rival, but also knock the east region regular season title away from them.

PS: Very glad to see the game will be played at Purpur. I've been to Central-Red River games at the Ralph during the regular season, and I'm sure that some Grand Forks natives will agree that the atmosphere isn't quite the same. :D