SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

- on the other hand..... GF Central has a Whopping 0 players averaging over a point a game. (Curious how the GF hopeful counter this one.)

-I just thought I'd give both sides of the story as I feel I am the only un-biased person on this thread.

This debate was never about Central. Only the players from North. If you want my opinion on this stat, however, I'd be more than glad to give it to you.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Just because he has a 41 in his name doesn't make him tanner bombenger, I do on the other hand figure he is either a north player or parent of a player, as he knows way to much knowledge of things only team personell or parents of players would know of.

-I just thought I'd give both sides of the story as I feel I am the only un-biased person on this thread.

I would like your opinion. (don't say strength of schedule,please).

Throw out their highest scoring game and...they have 19 goals total, the same as North (minus Wahpeton). Lets see where the point totals are after the Wahpeton game. And they beat North, 3-0. Plus, they have been shut out only once, that being in a nonconference game. North has been shut out five times.

I would like your opinion. (don't say strength of schedule,please).

It's very hard not to bring schedule up. How many points do WF players have against South, RR, Grafton? How many points do Grafton players have against RR and South. We just need to face the fact that GFC is not at the peak this year and so far they have played South, RR, Grafton, EGF (twice), and WF. I mean the games where Central will score more than 3 times are Jamestown, Wahp., Fargo North, and West Fargo. I'm sure we'll see who this team really is next week when they avenge their loss to West Fargo.

Minot 5 Dickinson 2

This game was very close, with the score being tied 1-1 entering the third period. Minot outshot Dickinson nearly 2-1, yet Dickinson played a very tough game from the sounds of the Dickinson paper. For some reason Dickinson always plays their best hockey against Minot. It sounded like the Minot coaches were happy to get the two points, and get the heck out of dodge.

A surprising score was Hazen over Devils Lake 8-3. After Devils Lake outplayed Grafton in a tie they go to Hazen and get beat by five goals....wow. ???

Minot 5 Dickinson 2

This game was very close, with the score being tied 1-1 entering the third period. Minot outshot Dickinson nearly 2-1, yet Dickinson played a very tough game from the sounds of the Dickinson paper. For some reason Dickinson always plays their best hockey against Minot. It sounded like the Minot coaches were happy to get the two points, and get the heck out of dodge.

A surprising score was Hazen over Devils Lake 8-3. After Devils Lake outplayed Grafton in a tie they go to Hazen and get beat by five goals....wow. ???

Wilbur, whats your prediction on Williston/Devils Lake tonight?

In the Williston-Devils Lake game I think that Williston will win, but it will be a lot closer than last nights loss for Devils Lake. I think that the whooping they took will serve as a notice that they are not as good of a team as they thought they were after the tie with Grafton. I'll say Willison 3-2.

Bismarck vs. Century

I'd put money on Bismarck. They probably have the best goaltender in the state, and they've finally found some scoring. Century has goaltending, but they are still pretty green everywhere else. I'd say 4-1 Bismarck High.

In some cases, numbers do not provide proof of who is good or not, but in this case it does. Four players who are called by some to be some of the top players in the state should be leading their team to victories. Its not like they're all playing on seperate lines with a bunch of kids who cant skate. I don't know North's exact line combinations, but if two out of three kids on the line are either Klein, Klenow, Bombenger, or Fischer, then they should be producing something that resembles an offense, which they clearly have not. I'm sure these kids are talented players (not great, great players make people around them better) and I did nothing to question their character. My guess is that 95% of the people who post on this board played sports in high school, which would then constitue playing in front of a crowd. My point is this- these players have done nothing to show me that they are top level players in the state of North Dakota. Top level players lead their teams to victories against teams that aren't terrible. Winning games includes one key element- scoring goals. To show my point (and using ND Pride's method) I went through and looked at everyone's goals scored statistic, throwing out the highest single game total. And you know what I found? North is tied for fewest goals in the state in non-Wahpeton games (19). I'm not calling them bad players, I'm just showing you the reason why I think that these players are nothing special and should not be talked about as being tops in the state.

And as for the question of them making the tournament and select teams every year I ask this - If they are so good to be making these teams every year, why is North 4-10 and they are producing very little?

PS- And just for fun, why dont you (ND Pride) start putting YOUR name at the end of posts, to show everyone where you're coming from.

Soohockey15, it's obvious you are a high school hockey player and you find it easy to criticize two of the best players in the state. Please, inform us of your accomplishments that make it so convenient for you to bash them. I happen to know from the state scoring leader stats last year that unless your name is Marc Mihulka, you did not outscore Klein or Klenow. I don't see how any one with an unbiased opinion can say that these two have done nothing to constitute being "tops in the state". Year after year Klein and Klenow make the ND select team and are in the top four for players on that team. If those select teams are in fact composed of the best players in the state (they generally are) and Klein and Klenow are consistently selected as one of the best on the team to represent North Dakota at the National Festivals, how can you not recognize them as some of the best? If your only measurement for success for these players is points, you have a lot to learn about the sport. You can be a great hockey player without leading the league in points. No one can deny that these kids are players, that make a difference in any game they are in. In any case, I don't think a bunch of negative statements from some unknown from Grand Forks is going to discourage either of these players.

In some cases, numbers do not provide proof of who is good or not, but in this case it does. Four players who are called by some to be some of the top players in the state should be leading their team to victories. Its not like they're all playing on seperate lines with a bunch of kids who cant skate. I don't know North's exact line combinations, but if two out of three kids on the line are either Klein, Klenow, Bombenger, or Fischer, then they should be producing something that resembles an offense, which they clearly have not. I'm sure these kids are talented players (not great, great players make people around them better) and I did nothing to question their character. My guess is that 95% of the people who post on this board played sports in high school, which would then constitue playing in front of a crowd. My point is this- these players have done nothing to show me that they are top level players in the state of North Dakota. Top level players lead their teams to victories against teams that aren't terrible. Winning games includes one key element- scoring goals. To show my point (and using ND Pride's method) I went through and looked at everyone's goals scored statistic, throwing out the highest single game total. And you know what I found? North is tied for fewest goals in the state in non-Wahpeton games (19). I'm not calling them bad players, I'm just showing you the reason why I think that these players are nothing special and should not be talked about as being tops in the state.

And as for the question of them making the tournament and select teams every year I ask this - If they are so good to be making these teams every year, why is North 4-10 and they are producing very little?

PS- And just for fun, why dont you (ND Pride) start putting YOUR name at the end of posts, to show everyone where you're coming from.

There are a lot of issues raised in your post - some of them I have some agreement with and others I think are unsubstantiated. It might be easiest to deal with them separately. First, let's start with your last comment about posting names. It is a norm among individuals with some level of civility that you do not hide behind a screen name and tear down other people or show an attitude of disrespect. There are a number of instances where you (soohockey15) do exactly that. Anyone can go back on this thread and check out those posts as all posts are numbered sequentially. Examples include your post #113 where you refer to a specific high school goalie as a "nutcase." Others on this board objected to that comment about a high school player. And then there is post #169 where you state, "Stop clinging to your childhood and try to get over the fact that you're nothing." This comment you made in response to a specific indivdual. There are other posts that you have made that are not attacks but are just plain unusual such as post #107 which states, "i hear u cluckin big chicken." And then there is the one (post #48) that Wilbur, rightfully took issue with, where you described the west as "brutal." In summary, when those who post on a board provide negative commentary about named individuals who are kids, it is considered poor form. The response to that is - don't hide behind a screen name and say negative things about kids because by doing that you are taking advantage of the anonymity of these types of boards - there is no accountability. If you are going to do that then level the playing field and identify yourself. It is primarily a rhetorical statement designed to bring people to a clearer perspective as to the unfairness of what they are doing. You ask me, as you say - for the fun of it to start putting my name at the end of my posts so people will know where I am coming from. Well, it should be clear as to where I am coming from. I think it is fun to exchange facts and information about high school hockey. It is fun to promote North Dakota high school hockey and players - whether they are from Red River, Mandan, Minot, Bismarck, South, North or Grafton, etc. I have promoted kids from all of these areas. Characterizing North Dakota kids in a negative way on a North Dakota site is crazy. Sometimes it is best to occasionally reflect on the old statement - if you can't say something positive then don't say anything at all. At any rate, that is where I am coming from.

Now, a few general comments about the very unfortunate introduction of the term "superstars" by "He Who Shoots Top Shelf". In opposition to that label, I believe that there is no such thing as a high school

Edited by ND Pride

Hmm interesting. :D

(disclaimer: the state tournament is anyones game...south, rr, grafton)

Interesting that it took OT to get a winner.

RR and South are clearly the best teams in ND. Both are having great years and the tourney will have to be where it is decided because I'm sure South isn't going to let up after this set back.

-------------------------

In an unrelated note: I listened to a bit of the Moorhead-Warroad hockey game on the radio and was wondering who does the radio commentary? Seriously, the guy sounded drunk. If the action increased, his speech got slurred. Also, "WHOOOOOOOOAAAA" doesn't do very good on the radio. I'm really happy now with our radio crew that does Sioux games. At least they know that "WHOOOOOAAAAA" comes AFTER they describe what is happening. At least listening to the game inspired me. It left me saying "Hey, if that putz can call games, I certainly can and probably do it better!" And no, I've never done it before. Even so, he was that bad.

South Scored three quick goals near the end of the second. RR scored with about 2 min left on a goal from Rau. Two min in to the third Benke took the legs out from under Diechart and JAKE DELISLE notched his first goal as a Red River Varsity man. (Congrats Jake) Spies made it 3-3 and Meland scored on a breakaway in OT to give the Riders a win.

NOTE: Ian Powers a Super Sophomoer and Andrew Vigen both were given game DQ for roughing. Powers pretty much flipped out.

It takes a different breed to come on here and talk about themselves. As I recall Tanner Bombenger wore 41 either his freshman or sophomore year at North, much like the name RCB41. At least confidence isn't your problem, good luck in Jamestown tonight Tanner!

Thanks for the opinion Top Shelf. I happen to be a youth leader who knows a lot of the north and south players and the sports they play in. You seem to be the only one on the sight who feels he has to talk bad about players and their teams. My initials "RCB41" happen to resemble nothing of my name or life. I appreciate the guesses though.

Just got back from the South-RR game and all I can say is wow. Probably the best high school hockey game I've ever seen, had everything.

I agree. This was a great hockey game. RR deserved to win, i thought they just outworked South, and were much more physical. One note though is that i think RR will be in trouble when they get back on a bigger sheet of ice with South. I think Souths speed will be too much in the open ice in those games.

Did South a little bit more or what was the deal? What happened on South's goals?

Well the first goal was a pass from the corner and the South player made a nice upper corner shot. The second one was a rebound flip to the upper corner. And the third goal was a nice upper corner shot from about the hash marks.