SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN Sportcenter 50 states in 50 days

joelbird

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was the majority of the segment, so yeah. 

Maris had a great couple of years, we don't need to be crying as a state to get him the record.  Maybe the state legislature should be working on more important things!

And, like I said before, the rest was decent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see the big piece on the tournament and the interviews with the players and coaches? That was great for them, a highlight in their life.

I'll call my legislator today and tell him ESPNInsider wants them to be working on more important things.

Did you see the big piece on the tournament and the interviews with the players and coaches?  That was great for them, a highlight in their life.

I'll call my legislator today and tell him ESPNInsider wants them to be working on more important things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A well you should.

I'm actually surprised that you don't know exactly what they are working on, as you seem to police every board on this site quite regularly?

The piece on the players I believe would fall in the category of other stuff, which I said was decent. Yes, those players will love to watch that tape when they are older.

Reality bites!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the reality is that most North Dakotans agree that their legislators should be working on issues other than Roger Maris' homerun record. Just because ESPN chooses to highlight the efforts of a couple of misguided politicians doesn't mean that everyone in the state agrees with them.

I didn't think the bit on Maris was all that bad. I think talking with three legislators was a bit much and that perhaps ESPN should have focused on Roger Maris' exclusion from the Hall of Fame, but what can you do? Bad pub is better than no pub, right?

I didn't think the bit on Maris was all that bad.  I think talking with three legislators was a bit much and that perhaps ESPN should have focused on Roger Maris' exclusion from the Hall of Fame, but what can you do?  Bad pub is better than no pub, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stop the presses......I agree with you MafiaMan.

They probably should have focused more on his exclusion from the Hall of Fame, that is an argument that actually might make some waves.

Publicity is publicity

True, just ask Mark McGwire.  He's gone from a 1st ballot Hall of Famer to :D??, over his steroid denial testimony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a former cohort of mine used to say, if you think any publicity is good publicity, try getting your name in the paper for DUI.

True, just ask Mark McGwire. He's gone from a 1st ballot Hall of Famer to :D??, over his steroid denial testimony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, OK, duly noted. However, Allan Iverson being arrested a few years ago for that whole assault-on-the-wife-she's-naked-outside-his-house-brandishing-a-weapon-while-looking-for-his-cousin fiasco netted him the #1 jersey in sales in the NBA within a few weeks after his arrest.

On the flip-side, Kobe Bryant has taken a nose-dive in sales...

I guess a lot just depends on the fans. For every sane person out there (me) who thinks Michael Jackson should rot in prison, there apparently are 50 idiots out there waving signs and freeing doves. I don't get it...

This might be alittle late but I lived in GF, Fargo and The Cities and Fargo was the most boring place to live. I left every weekend to do something. You can't compare Fargo and the cities maybe St Cloud or Duluth to Fargo. Has far as NDSU being DI no one outside of Fargo will care. NDSU thinks that they will get to play the gophers in football but no body will care.

This might be alittle late but I lived in GF, Fargo and The Cities and Fargo was the most boring place to live.  I left every weekend to do something.  You can't compare Fargo and the cities maybe St Cloud or Duluth to Fargo. Has far as NDSU being DI no one outside of Fargo will care.  NDSU thinks that they will get to play the gophers in football but no body will care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have lived in all three too, Fargo, GF and the Cities. None have been boring. You can't compare ND cities to Minnesota Cities, ND cities are much better :0

Minnesota Nice is over-rated ;)

I think you will find people outside of Fargo that will care about the Gopher game. There are several thousand NDSU grads that live in the Twin Cities to start with :ohmy:

I guess you haven't been paying attention the past few years when Nebraska schedules some DI-AA team to come to Lincoln or Miami invites Florida A&M to come to the Orange Bowl.  I'm not saying every I-AA team gets waxed by every D-I program (just witness last year's Troy win at Missouri), but for the most part, it's a thumping in the name of revenue for the visiting school who gets the "prestige" of playing a bigger program.  I don't know what the hubub would be for NDSU to waste time playing at the Metrodump anyways.  If you think that's Big 10 football, you obviously have never been to Columbus, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, or north Chicago (Northwestern) for that matter.     

The Sid Hartman post was a below-the-belt shot, BisonMav.  I grew up in SW North Dakota and my dad was a big NDSU football fan.  Although I ended up at UND, I always pulled for NDSU to represent the state of North Dakota well in the NCAA playoffs if the Sioux weren't a factor.  Considering how much I detest all that is the University of Minnesota, would I smirk at my maroon and gold friends here if the Bison came to town and pulled off the upset against Goldy?  You bet I would.  My issues with some posters here on the board is how some people in Fargo think the world would come to an end without Bison football.  Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see where the jump to I-AA was that big of a deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to non-Minnesota Big Ten games, Big 12, ACC, Pac 10, and Big East games. Minnesota isn't the cream of the conference, but it's would be one game on the schedule that isn't a 3.5 hour drive for me as a season ticket holder. It is also a good payday for NDSU. I would hope the Bison would be competitive. Maine was a I-AA team that defeated a I-A team last year in Mississippi St. I-AA Furman took Pitt to the limit also, losing 41-38. Troy St is a I-A team now. The Sid Hartman shot was low, but he thinks the Gophers would win 55-0 or whatever. I always wondered how the Bison or Sioux would do against the Gophers.