SiouxSports.com Forum

Rule changes for 2005-06

ethanm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the idea of allowing goals that are kicked in. Since the first day anyone started playing hockey they were taught to tie up sticks in front of the net because that is the only way anyone was going to score. I think it would be pretty stupid if they allowed goals of that nature.

I hate the idea of allowing goals that are kicked in.  Since the first day anyone started playing hockey they were taught to tie up sticks in front of the net because that is the only way anyone was going to score.  I think it would be pretty stupid if they allowed goals of that nature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The truth shall set you free, I Ranger! I couldn't agree more.

The problem with allowing players to kick the puck into the net is mainly safety, as I see it.  Along the boards or elsewhere, the chances of kicking someone in the neck or upper body are pretty slim.  Around the goal area, players are often sprawled out on the ice, especially the goalie.  I would not like to see the goal-mouth scrambles turn into "soccer" scrums, with blades flashing (and blood gushing). 

I 100% agree with you and in there lies the fault in allowing it. Steel blades being involved in a kicking motion would cause nothing but harm.

If we're going to turn hockey into soccer by having the players intentionally kick goals into the nets, why don't we just take away the sticks while we're at it?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because chances of a player scoring a goal are still significantly better when the puck is struck by a hockey stick compared to a Bauer Vapor! ;)

MafiaMan, do you think it would change the aspect of the game that much? Do you really think guys would start trying to kick pucks in instead of trying to shoot the puck with a stick? I guess my opinion is that I don't think it would change the way players play that much.

Yes absolutely.  It changes where the puck is shot from the outside.  You don't have to shoot for daylight amidst a mangled mess of goaltender.  You have to simply shoot for your teammate's skate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you are telling me players are going to start aiming for their teammates skates, thus drastically changing how the game is played?

Allowing an unintentional deflection to count as a goal is one thing.  Allowing a player to intentionally deflect a puck into the net is another.  I'm all for more goal-scoring, but that's ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure why a person's point of view, who disagrees with you, is "ridiculous." It is not like Doc Holliday is the only person who supports this rule change.

No problem, Eskimos.  I'm not big on animosity towards people on message boards.  I guess we agree to disagree, though.  Can you imagine an NCAA tournament game or worse, an NCAA title game being won due to a puck kicked in the net?  I hope I don't see that day...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I agree that we would be agreeing to disagree, but if it's a rule, it's possible.  Could you imagine an OT scrum in front of the net, the goalie is down on the ice, the puck squirts free and lands in a guy's skate and he kicks it in the net for the game-winner.  Cheap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That scenario would not be allowed by the proposed rule change.

From USCHO: http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/07/02_010652.php

Quote: Another major change involves a goal that is scored off of an attacking player's skate. The committee changed the rule to allow goals off an attacking player's skate, provided there is not a "distinct kicking motion."

"We felt like using a skate to direct the puck into the goal is a tremendous skill and that skill should be rewarded," Blasi said. "Clearly, any goal that is scored by kicking the puck will not be allowed." End quote.

That scenario would not be allowed by the proposed rule change.

From USCHO: http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/07/02_010652.php

Quote: Another major change involves a goal that is scored off of an attacking player's skate. The committee changed the rule to allow goals off an attacking player's skate, provided there is not a "distinct kicking motion."

"We felt like using a skate to direct the puck into the goal is a tremendous skill and that skill should be rewarded," Blasi said. "Clearly, any goal that is scored by kicking the puck will not be allowed." End quote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the intent of this rule change. There was a game in the old Ralph in which a Lee Goren goal was waved off because the puck went in off his skate. Goren was in the process of slamming on the brakes in front of the crease when a shot by another Sioux player caused the puck to rebound off the goalie's stick, hit Goren's skate blade and deflect directly back into the net.

There's no way Goren could have deliberately done this even if he'd practiced it for a hundred years. But the goal was disallowed because it went in off his skate. If the puck would have deflected upward, hit Goren's shin pad and gone in, it would have counted as a goal.

Two seasons ago, Brandon Bochenski scored a goal against the Gophers when he stuck out his leg to block a clearing attempt from behind the UM net. The puck deflected off his leg and into the Gopher net. Nobody questioned whether it should have counted.

If you're going to allow goals when the puck deflects off a friendly player's body or other piece of equipment, why shouldn't deflections off skate blades count, especially if goals off deliberately kicked in pucks are still disallowed? I don't want to see hockey turned into soccer on ice. As I read the rule change, I don't think that will happen.

I agree with the intent of this rule change. There was a game in the old Ralph in which a Lee Goren goal was waved off because the puck went in off his skate. Goren was in the process of slamming on the brakes in front of the crease when a shot by another Sioux player caused the puck to rebound off the goalie's stick, hit Goren's skate blade and deflect directly back into the net.

There's no way Goren could have deliberately done this even if he'd practiced it for a hundred years. But the goal was disallowed because it went in off his skate. If the puck would have deflected upward, hit Goren's shin pad and gone in, it would have counted as a goal.

Two seasons ago, Brandon Bochenski scored a goal against the Gophers when he stuck out his leg to block a clearing attempt from behind the UM net. The puck deflected off his leg and into the Gopher net. Nobody questioned whether it should have counted.

If you're going to allow goals when the puck deflects off a friendly player's body or other piece of equipment, why shouldn't deflections off skate blades count, especially if goals off deliberately kicked in pucks are still disallowed? I don't want to see hockey turned into soccer on ice. As I read the rule change, I don't think that will happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good explanation, PCM and good reminder about that Bochenski goal against the Gophers. If I remember right, wasn't that a clearing attempt by the Gopher goalie that hit Bochenski in the thigh and bounced into the empty net?

If I remember right, wasn't that a clearing attempt by the Gopher goalie that hit Bochenski in the thigh and bounced into the empty net?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you believe this guy, that's not the way it happened. :huh:

With the Sioux on the power play, Gopher defenseman Joey Martin attempted to clear the puck from behind the net. But his shot hit Bochenski in the shin pad and deflected in, putting the Sioux up 3-1 at the 8:22 mark.

"I think I've had some of the most unusual goals ever," said Bochenski, who has a reputation for scoring from anywhere on the ice. "That's up there. I'll give it a top 10."

I don't have a problem with deflections counting as goals. The odds aren't great enough to make this a preferred way to score. All it does is have the puck bounce around and occasionally you'll get the lucky bounce go in.

I do think that a discernable kicking action leading to a goal should not be allowed. It's dangerous and this is hockey, not soccer.