SiouxSports.com Forum

Esposito - Money Talks

Sioux_Hab-it

I admit my bias towards College Hockey upfront so it concerns me to see players like Eposito, and possibly Yandle and Mueller choose the Major Junior route. I understand that college is not for everyone with Chris Bourqe being a prime example but I am glad to see players like Cogliano, Toews, and Kessel pick the NCAA route even if it is for 1 or 2 years.

I admit my bias towards College Hockey upfront so it concerns me to see players like Eposito, and possibly Yandle and Mueller choose the Major Junior route.  I understand that college is not for everyone with Chris Bourqe being a prime example but I am glad to see players like Cogliano, Toews, and Kessel pick the NCAA route even if it is for 1 or 2 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more.

I, too, agree. However, I think the MJ leagues have started taking notice how many great players are beginning to opt for the college route and am concerned they will find more $$ attractive ways to lure the best prospects in the future. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

I, too, agree.  However, I think the MJ leagues have started taking notice how many great players are beginning to opt for the college route and am concerned they will find more $$ attractive ways to lure the best prospects in the future.  Hopefully not, but we'll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is already happening. Looke at how Esposito released statements that he is going to go to college. He was either blatently lying or using DI as a bargaining chip/ fallback plan (meaning, if the bargaining chip didn't work, he'd go to college somewhere). It worked and he got big $$$.

I don't think Esposito's case will be an isolated one. I think more players will be doing it. And I wouldn't put it past anyone currently committed either. Tri City Americans of the WHL is STILL, last I heard, trying to woo Toews away. Mueller has been committed to UofMinn since he was 2 years old (ok, 5 :silly: ) and Everett is still sending flowers every day nearly. With Pineault and Borque being recent defections, I don't even see showing up his first year to be the end of the story either (Toews included). This could be nothing, sure, but we'll have to wait and see.

I guess Tri city offered Toews a lot of money. Last summer Red Deer kept trying to get Stafford. It seems like the Canadiens are trying to blackmail their players to staying in the CHL. With Toews, it seems to come up a lot that they wont let him play for Team Canada. I bet that happened with Brady Murray and Zajac. I know that team Canada was stacked last year and it didnt matter, but Zajac was definitely good enough to play on that team.

I guess Tri city offered Toews a lot of money.  Last summer Red Deer kept trying to get Stafford.  It seems like the Canadiens are trying to blackmail their players to staying in the CHL.  With Toews, it seems to come up a lot that they wont let him play for Team Canada.  I bet that happened with Brady Murray and Zajac.  I know that team Canada was stacked last year and it didnt matter, but Zajac was definitely good enough to play on that team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess i'm not sure about Murray and Zajac because i never heard anything come out like that so i was just wondering if you had any inside information about them not being able to play or if its just a hunch you have?

I think this is already happening.  Looke at how Esposito released statements that he is going to go to college.  He was either blatently lying or using DI as a bargaining chip/ fallback plan (meaning, if the bargaining chip didn't work, he'd go to college somewhere).  It worked and he got big $$$.

I don't think Esposito's case will be an isolated one.  I think more players will be doing it.  And I wouldn't put it past anyone currently committed either.  Tri City Americans of the WHL is STILL, last I heard, trying to woo Toews away.  Mueller has been committed to UofMinn since he was 2 years old (ok, 5  :silly: ) and Everett is still sending flowers every day nearly.  With Pineault and Borque being recent defections, I don't even see showing up his first year to be the end of the story either (Toews included).  This could be nothing, sure, but we'll have to wait and see.

I guess that was my point.

What remains to be seen is whether the attempts by the MJ teams to lure these top guys will have a wide ranging affect or just spotty success. At the core of the question is really the value of each option to the recruit. Each recruit will have their goals and what they consider the best way of getting there. Will MJ be able to provide a better option on a consistent basis? I think that is yet the question. It appears they are making increased efforts to keep the best players.