SiouxSports.com Forum

Another School Caves in to NCAA Pressure

MafiaMan

According to USAToday, Stonehill College of Massachusetts has announced that effective July 1st, the school's athletic teams will be known as the Skyhawks instead of Chieftains. Score another point for the change-the-nicknames group. Also score another point for dumb nicknames: Heat, Lightning, Storm, Red Storm, and now Skyhawks. As opposed to Waterhawks or Groundhawks. Nice work, Stonehill!

You know, probably my second biggest concern if the Sioux nickname is changed is what we would end up with.  The North Dakota Wild?  What?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My vote's still with the Raging Reds, a perfectly innocent name based on geography and geology that's guaranteed to PO people of all persuasions. ;)

• 1 month later...

Looks like another school caved-

West Georgia dropping Braves mascot

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/08/05

West Georgia will play its last football season as the Braves this fall. The school hopes to have a new logo and mascot by December.

"I feel very compassionate [toward]the alumni at West Georgia that for years have been the West Georgia Braves," coach Mike Ledford said. "I hate that the circumstances forced our university to change our name, as they have at many other universities."...............

Full story- http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0705/10state.html