SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey -WCHA

NorthDakotaHockey

Well, one good thing about cable is that a couple of the channels sometimes replay games from this past season. Without recollecting the outcome, just watched Denver beat AA 3-2 in OT on a goal allowed following a replay look. Such is the state of my so-called life. Anyway, Referee Todd Anderson waived the goal off with a great save by AA's Lawson with 21.4 seconds in OT. Anderson was right on the play. After a long look at replay, they in fact gave the goal to Drummond. Game over. College hockey history. First game, so the announcers said, that had ever ended on a replay call.

AA had tied the game with less than a minute in regulation on a soft goal past Mannino.

I recall that last year only DU and CC had the replay for WCHA games. I think that I heard that all arenas will be so equiped this year. This true? I can see most schools, but question whether the small tv markets, MSU, MTU, AA, UMD will have it as well. Anyone know?

Really kindof funny after watching that Sioux goal get waived off in Columbus for me to turn the TV a month later and see Denver benefitting from a good look and a good call on a glove in the net that was no more out of the net than was Mannino's on April 9.

What the hey . . .

No Doubt that Denve had a good team, but they were also lucky. One ounce of puck luck, and Bemidji State would have eliminated them from the tournament.

But I digress, I think the replay is a good thing for the sport as long as it's quick. I don't know how much the equipment would cost, but I'm sure some of those schools that you've mentioned will struggle to pay for it.

No Doubt that Denve had a good team, but they were also lucky.  One ounce of puck luck, and Bemidji State would have eliminated them from the tournament.

But I digress,  I think the replay is a good thing for the sport as long as it's quick.  I don't know how much the equipment would cost, but I'm sure some of those schools that you've mentioned will struggle to pay for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sure the UND already has the equipment in line already, since I am sure it was built with the Arena.

I guarantee that the Ralph has more (and more appropriate) equipment than did the venue in which this year's national championship was played.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you know this because you were in Columbus, DamStrait?

Other than that, I think the venue was quite fine, don't you? I enjoyed the "back on campus" feel.

Having all sorts of camera angles doesn't mean a thing. Just ask the 2001 Sioux. Remember a St Cloud player tripping up Andy Kollar a second or two before a 90' slap shot goes right by him? That goal should have easily been over-turned.

Remember a St Cloud player tripping up Andy Kollar a second or two before a 90' slap shot goes right by him?  That goal should have easily been over-turned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SCCC player blasted our goalie and the refs failed to make the correct call. This should not have been a goal and should have resulted in a penalty.

I was ready to bull rush the ice after that botched call.

Certainly no Ralph isn't always bad, DamStrait.  I enjoyed not cramming into my seat and having about 2" of leg room.  Not to mention I didn't have 75 people needing me to stand up every time they needed to go grab a pop or use the bathroom.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to start a rip-fest on The Ralph, but I certainly don't think it's the mother of all hockey arenas.  If I wanted to see that much marble, I'd go tour the Vatican.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll agree to disagree. Whatever faults the Ralph has don't, IMHO, have anything to do with the facility itself.