SiouxSports.com Forum

46 Pages

The Sicatoka

The issue also made mention this weekend on a Twin Cities local news. I missed most of what they said but made mention of the Nickname issue with the NCAA. Must have really been a slow news day as they never even report the UND scores unless they've played the Gophers.

I am curious as to what would happen if no schools had nicknames after Native American tribes. I see it as an opportunity for the Native Americans to get out information about their culture, heritage, and the sufferings they have had to deal with as a culture. If there wasn't the nickname issue what would most people know about Native Americans? I can tell you I wouldn't know much about Sitting Bull or any of the Sioux tribe if it weren't for UND having Fighting Sioux as a nickname.

I also wonder if any other groups of people feel nicknames of other teams are offensive? So many teams are named after great warriors, groups of people and some are not around to speak for themselves. Trojans, Titans, at one time in this country the Irish were discrimated against in the same way as many other minorities. Are they trying to get Notre Dame to change it's nickname?

I try to always respect Native Americans (and all people minority or not) and appreciate the contributions they have made to our country and hope that UND will stick by its decision not to change the nickname.

Does anyone know if the REA has anyone on staff that either is of Native American ancestry, or someone who is well educated on Native American language, culture, heritage, etc. to prevent any accidental faux pas? I think that it would be a good idea to have that as well as provide all REA employees with some indoctrination in that area so that they are prepared to notice or identify any situations that would be disrespectful to Native Americans. Being proactive is far better than reactive after the fact. I also think that it would be a good idea to consider roping off the Sioux logos inside the entrances so that they are not walked upon. I do know that some cultures consider even having the bottom of a foot pointed in your direction as an insult. I could certainly see that Native Americans might consider walking on the logo as disrespectful to their culture. And let's not get into a debate about sacred eagle feathers and the fact that these are only pictures of feathers, etc. etc. etc. Even if it isn't considered disrespectful by Native Americans, I take great pride in the Sioux logo. I would prefer not to have people walking on it with wet or dirty shoes. It is the same feeling that I would get if I ever saw someone checking their oil with an old Sioux jersey. Not good. Roping off the logos would also protect them from wear so that the emblems don't fade or look worn with time.