SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

So what happens if the NCAA decides to get serious about enforcing a rule that's already on the books?

Abuse of Officials and Other Misconduct

RULE 6-1/PLAYING RULES

SECTION 1.

f. A coach or other non-playing person connected with a team shall not use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official or opposing player or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official or opposing player either before or during a game.

PENALTY

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is and he has.
There's part of the problem. Kupchella wants to improve student behavior and the student government proposes to move the student section, maybe I'm stupid but how is that going to improve student behavior Kupchella is upset about.

"We wouldn't be blocking anybody," Haskins said.

If I had a job and lived in the area, I would request to get season tickets in or near the student section, or by PCM.  I have a feeling I wouldn't get either.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd need either sudo-reporter or real reporter credentials to sit near me. :D

There's part of the problem. Kupchella wants to improve student behavior and the student government proposes to move the student section, maybe I'm stupid but how is that going to improve student behavior Kupchella is upset about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we're both stupid because I've asked the same question. ;)

So what happens if the NCAA decides to get serious about enforcing a rule that's already on the books?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What would happen if the NCAA enforced their guidelines on the WCHA officials? ;) I still believe when an official makes a mistake, they must be held accountable.

I am the NCAA.  I should sit where a seat can hold a 2,000 pound gorilla, even though I would prefer to stand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could stand behind me and not block a soul. And I'd like a 2,000-pound NCAA gorilla covering my back. ;)

I am not saying he is doing a bad job I am ssaying that it doesn't seem to be his strength.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that dealing with the issue doesn't appear to be anyone's strength. There have been many discussions and meetings about what can be done to improve the atmosphere at the the Ralph, both in terms of fan behavior and fan participation. As far as I can tell, little ever gets done. All we do is argue about the same thing over and over again.

I fully understand why this frustrates students. I've submitted various ideas, received positive responses and then never heard anything again. It's time to stop talking and start doing.

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that dealing with the issue doesn't appear to be anyone's strength. There have been many discussions and meetings about what can be done to improve the atmosphere at the the Ralph, both in terms of fan behavior and fan participation. As far as I can tell, little ever gets done. All we do is argue about the same thing over and over again.

I fully understand why this frustrates students. I've submitted various ideas, received positive responses and then never heard anything again. It's time to stop talking and start doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kupchella is the one who thinks there is a problem. I think he should pose the solution. He already said he doesn't know what to do and his only solution is to disassemble the student section.

I have an idea. Find the 100 students who insist on standing and swearing, don't let them get tickets. Find the 100 general public people who insist on b^tching and whining about the students no matter what and take away their tickets. No more problems and everyone is happy other than the 200 dimwits who caused the problems for 4 years.

Find the 100 general public people who insist on b^tching and whining about the students no matter what and take away their tickets. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean it didn't help two years ago when the students had done a great job, showed up to the Gopher games the second the doors were open (including those with reserved seats), and then were handed a flier stating that the students were acting horrible and were going to be kicked out? ;)

Kupchella is the one who thinks there is a problem.

I'm sure he has heard the problem with his own ears and seen it with his own eyes. Some UND alumni aren't going to let him forget about it, and neither is the NCAA. It's not a question of whether there's a problem. It's a question of what you do about it.

I have an idea.  Find the 100 students who insist on standing and swearing, don't let them get tickets.  Find the 100 general public people who insist on b^tching and whining about the students no matter what and take away their tickets.  No more problems and everyone is happy other than the 200 dimwits who caused the problems for 4 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it! ;)

You mean it didn't help two years ago when the students had done a great job, showed up to the Gopher games the second the doors were open (including those with reserved seats), and then were handed a flier stating that the students were acting horrible and were going to be kicked out?  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't everybody in the Ralph get that letter? :D

All I know is that I had a few ushers following me everywhere and trying to give me multiple copies.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have told them you were the NCAA. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is my biggest concern with administration. Who did you submit ideas to and why didn't they follow up? Things tend to be assigned to subordinates. Does the president actually listen to the students? What exactly is his concern? What is the concern of non-students? I firmly believe most of us had a great time at UND and wish the same for the students. If I am sitting next to someone who is foul mouthed I will ask theem politely to clean it up and if that doesn't work tell them to knock it off then have them tossed. I might get my butt kicked someday but we can all help a little.

Wouldn't it be wise to clearly define the problem before we try to solve it? I would like to know his specific issues not just "fan behavior".

Thanks for your reply.

Wouldn't it be wise to clearly define the problem before we try to solve it?

Unfortunately, we don't know what prompted the letter from the UND alumni that triggered Kupchella's response.

The organized profane cheers are a problem. I don't know how much of a problem standing students represent because I don't sit on that side of the arena and therefore don't deal with it.

What I don't get is why UND's student government appears so intent on advancing proposals designed to encourage the swearers and standers when they are probably only a small minority of student hockey fans. I would think that a lot of student hockey fans would be upset by that.

There needs to be a concerted, coordinated effort from President Kuchella's office, the REA, UND student government, the alumni association and the athletic department to work together to present some workable solutions.