SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

Of course this won't happen, but the proposal makes sense. When you are in negotiations, your first offer isn't going to be what you expect to get when all is said and done, it is what you'd like to get in your best case scenario. This would probably be the best case scenarion for the students. Now Kupchella or the Athletic Dept. or whomever needs to come back and make a proposal themselves.

At least the students are proposing something rather than just bellyaching and whining like many people seem to do about this situation. This will not happen, but could be a good first step to coming to a compromise. If everyone just sat around complaining rather making proposals, nothing would ever be done.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the students are proposing something .... could be a good first step ....

And the people in the choir robes behind Reverend Diggler all cried, "Amen!"

There was another item that the student representatives have finally admitted, at least tacitly, is a problem:

He said the band could drown out vulgar chants that might emanate from the students.

You can't fix it until you admit it's a problem. He (Haskins) as much as admitted a problem right there.

At least the students are proposing something rather than just bellyaching and whining like many people seem to do about this situation.  This will not happen, but could be a good first step to coming to a compromise.  If everyone just sat around complaining rather making proposals, nothing would ever be done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PLAN: Leave the students where they are. Inform the students that swearing will not be tolerated. Swearing will result in students from the ENTIRE section where the swearing is heard being removed by the NO SWEARING police. Enforce the rule. Students will police themselves.

PLAN:  Leave the students where they are.  Inform the students that swearing will not be tolerated. Swearing will result in students from the ENTIRE section where the swearing is heard being removed by the NO SWEARING police. Enforce the rule. Students will police themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Problem is that the student policing would be of the violent nature. If I got kicked out of a game against UAA, much less Minnesota, because of some dope, I'd be ticked off. An entire section being tossed because of one person could lead to some very bad repersuccions for that one person. Some students come to the games drunk and could have some rather poor judgement and do some rather stupid things to that one person. Mob mentality could rule. It's not good, but it could happen. While in principal it sounds like a good idea, it isn't. Simply kicking a person out for that game for the first offense and for the season for the second offense is a better idea.

Second, I'm not saying that moving the students to a new area will make the problem worse simply because of the area's location. I'm saying it will be worse because the message is sent that swearing wasn't permissible where the students were locacted, but it is permissible in a different area. How, exactly, does that solve the swearing problem? It doesn't solve a thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That message doesn't need to be there. I'm not sure I understand what the movement even means. Are they saying students would stand then? The swearing issue needs to be addressed seperately. The idea of using the band to help with swearing is idiotic.

One area that would likely improve swearing is how students are treated. When students are treated like criminals when they walk in the door, they become more irritable right away and that could be contributing to some of the swearing. It does no good to lecture the students that are doing nothing wrong. The ones that are causing problems are likely not listening. Quit threatening students and start removing those that cause problems.

Second, Who reads their ticket?  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who listens to the PA announcement before every game that says profane language is grounds for ejection from the arena? Nobody. Once people see the video a few times, they'll ignore it.

Who listens to the PA announcement before every game that says profane language is grounds for ejection from the arena? Nobody. Once people see the video a few times, they'll ignore it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't even remember the last time I even remember hearing that announcement. I know they make it before every game, but I don't listen. I agree with you on the video PCM.

Who listens to the PA announcement before every game that says profane language is grounds for ejection from the arena?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do. I do have one question though. Everyone that has a ticket, has paid for a service. The refs are a part of that service, and they are held accountable for their actions. They are cheered and jeered for their performance. If the ref makes a bad call, are fans technically able to complain? I know it says something about comments directed towards officials. What is the exact wording on what is not allowed?

I can't even remember the last time I even remember hearing that announcement. I know they make it before every game, but I don't listen. I agree with you on the video PCM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quit socializing and you might hear it. :D They also talk about the Fighting Sioux name at each game. I always hear it. :glare:

GIVE THE  STUDENTS THE SEATS!

Anything to liven the crowd up and help the atmosphere in Englestad.

Point is, no solution is going to make everyone happy.

Didn't NDSU used to have the student section in a really crappy place in the FargoDope, and they moved it?

*shrugs*

EDITED TO ADD:  If the people in those sections don't want to renew their tickets because they are moved to center ice, there are people waiting in line to buy their tickets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With that kind of "to hell with current season ticket holders" attitude, you would be a prime candidate for the REA manager opening.

Quit socializing and you might hear it. :D They also talk about the Fighting Sioux name at each game. I always hear it. :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never read my ticket. I only listen to the PA system when they announce the 50/50 numbers. I always watch the Fighting Sioux video. I still believe that a video played just before each periodwarning of the consequences of continuous swearing (an "oh sh$$" or similar that slips out shouldn't be cause for removal)would be a good additon.

First, Why is the video idea DOA?  The video regardig the Sioux name is watched and respected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Respected? By whom? Does it show respect when hundreds or thousands of people chant "Eff the Gophers!" in unison? Does it show respect when a large group of people stands the entire game and blocks the view of others who paid to see it?

It'd be nice to think that "respect" was part of the equation on this issue, but as far as I can tell, it isn't. It's about one group of people refusing to abide by minimal standards of socially acceptable behavior and saying "Screw you!" to those who object.

Anyone who truly respects the Sioux name and actually cares about the image that UND presents to the world would engage in a concerted effort to solve the problem. Making excuses for the troublemakers or proposing a reshuffling of student seating and pretending that it's some sort of great "compromise" does nothing but encourage more disrespectful behavior.

Does it show respect when a large group of people stands the entire game and blocks the view of others who paid to see it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does it say that tickets allow you to see the game by sitting down? Did the students pick where they sat or how the arena was designed? How is it respectful that people that paid for a ticket are forced to sit down?

How is it respectful that people who paid more for a seat are forced to stand up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go with that argument, you are just going to start the comparison of tuition versus membership dues. You are also going to start the argument of what opportunities are given to the public by the university.

Where does it say that tickets allow you to see the game by sitting down? Did the students pick where they sat or how the arena was designed? How is it respectful that people that paid for a ticket are forced to sit down?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that every ticket that I have purchased has a seat number on it. I am only assuming that I should use it for the manner it was intended. If I intend to stand, maybe I should purchase SRO tickets.

I think that every ticket that I have purchased has a seat number on it.  I am only assuming that I should use it for the manner it was intended.  If I intend to stand, maybe I should purchase SRO tickets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you could do some research on the history of sports. Even though there were places to sit, they did not sit during the activity. The seats can be used when there is a break from gameplay.

If you go with that argument, you are just going to start the comparison of tuition versus membership dues. You are also going to start the argument of what opportunities are given to the public by the university.

I removed the "more" from my original post. It's about having the seat and being able to use it to enjoy the game.