SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene

ftnsiouxhockey

Oilers ask permission to suspend operations of AHL team for one year

Just wondering if you guys think this will impact Matt Greene signing a pro contract. My thought is that the oilers wouldn't sign him, considering this news, unless they were sure that he would play in the NHL for the majority of the season.

Just on a side note, I find the idea of lending out their AHL players to other teams a little strange.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could mean exactly what the story says and they're worried about gating two teams in Edmonton.

It could mean that Edmonton is cash-strapped and is looking to cut expenses any way possible (which could signal a continuing lock-out).

Sicatoka, I've heard that the earliest the NHL could resume would be January of 2006. All this talk of talks and all and a hopeful late start but a start nonetheless is nothing more than talk to keep people's awareness that the NHL has not yet folded.

It is a downright disaster (the lockout) and I don't see any resumption of the league without legal intervention.

It could mean exactly what the story says and they're worried about gating two teams in Edmonton.

It could mean that Edmonton is cash-strapped and is looking to cut expenses any way possible (which could signal a continuing lock-out).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the team was in the black. So you'd think they'd keep it to make some money.

I read that they've been trying to get a major junior team. I didn't realize teams used the major junior teams as their minor league teams.

I read that they've been trying to get a major junior team.  I didn't realize teams used the major junior teams as their minor league teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They don't, its just that Major Junior Teams make an owner more money because you will attract a similar sized crowd and you don't have the pro salaries and travel expenses to shell out.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

Hockey's Future has a long story about Greene and Paukovich, both of whom are Edmonton prospects. There are a few misses (mainly the recollections of Greene's actions after Bina was hurt; some recall Greene being out of control, when in fact he played surprisingly conservatively), but it's mostly a good read.

• 2 weeks later...