SiouxSports.com Forum

DU's Robbie Bina Tribute

airmail

How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?

• Tasteful
    • Tacky

I think what makes it appear tacky is the way the team/coach handled the situation immediatly after it happened. When you see the player acting like he didn't do anything wrong and hear people say he's not reallly hurt, it's hard to switch gears and feel like they are doing this out of respect. An example, a few years ago in Lincoln during Nationals, a Compuware player drove an Omaha Lancer into the boards. It was not near as bad as Robbie but the player was taken off on a stretcher. You could tell even in the stands the player

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is better than nothing. At least they made some sort of attempt. I wonder if it was one of the players or coaches who suggested it or if someone higher up in the AD or school decided on it. You have to wonder how much it means to the players, that's the big question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the part that I'm wondering about. If the players did it, then great! But I'm sure it's a political move by the department, to try and distract for the actual event.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but everyone seems to have a negative opinion on DU's "reaction."  OK, let's imagine that it's Matt Greene making the hit in the DU game...what would you want UND's reaction to be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask Travis Roy what UND's reaction was to his injury - which by the way was caused by his missing a check on Mitch Vig, not by a hit itself.

He didn't come to UND in the shape he wanted to for the Ironman competition, but did pretty well his freshman season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose playing in the 2000 Frozen Four final on the national championship team as a freshman could qualify as "pretty well." :)

I wasn't aware that Kevin went through something similar to Robbie. Thanks for letting us know, Speez.

The above mentioned Omaha player was Kevin Spiewak. He was crossed checked into the boards. He did skate off the ice which was probably a mistake. Fortunately he only fractured his L6 vertabrae and was fine after spending 6 weeks in a back brace. He didn't come to UND in the shape he wanted to for the Ironman competition, but did pretty well his freshman season. Glad you posted the player comment because there never was any response from the Compuware team about the incident.

Hopefully Robbie will be as fortunate as Kevin.

That sounds awfully scary. It appears Kevin healed up just fine, fortunately.

I remember by the end of Kevin's freshman season he was doing awfully well. Watching Speedwak and Notermann absolutely dominate on the penalty kill was a real treat.

I think the 28 on the back of the helmet is fine as a tribute to Bina. If nothing else it is a reminder to every DU player when they put their helmet on to not be reckless.

But I don't feel Paukovich has any right wearing the 28: Here's his quote:

"You never want to hurt somebody when you're playing," Paukovich said. "(Bina) was going for the puck and I was just going on the forecheck and I hit him. I hope he's all right. I never mean to intentionally hurt anybody.

"I didn't think it was a big deal until he was laying on the ice."

This was said fully knowing that there was a delayed penalty and as soon as Bina touched the puck the whistle would blow. So Bina touches the puck, whistle blows, and Paukovich drills him. After what Paukovish said and his seeming lack of remorse, if he was in the NHL there would be a bounty on his head. To be honest I hope CC wins so we don't have to worry about playing this punk any more this year.

I don't know if tacky is the right word. I commend Gwozdickhead for at least calling Bina. What would have sent a stronger message to his team, to Bina, and to college hockey in general would have been to suspend Paukovich for more than a game against the 16th seed in the tournament.

I believe that Paukovich did not intend to hurt Bina. However, his hit was flagrant and cheap and it did cause serious damage. A stronger response would have sent a much better message, and a more genuine one as well.

As for the comment that Paukovich didn't call because how hard it would be, imagine how hard it was for Bina laying in hospital bed, going through major surgury and how hard it is going to be going through recovery. Give me a break. If the kid had any class at all, he would have made contact by now.

Should Paukovitch have put a big post up here to let everyone know he did call Robbie Bina?  Maybe advertise it on a billboard in Grand Forks?

As of last night, Paukovich hadn't called Robbie.

....This was said fully knowing that there was a delayed penalty and as soon as Bina touched the puck the whistle would blow. So Bina touches the puck, whistle blows, and Paukovich drills him. After what Paukovish said and his seeming lack of remorse, if he was in the NHL there would be a bounty on his head. To be honest I hope CC wins so we don't have to worry about playing this punk any more this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I watched the play as it transpired and the hit in its entirety about 12 times on my TIVO yesterday. I wanted to look and listen for 3 things: 1) Did Adam actually see the hit? 2) Did Paukovich really complain about Adam calling a penalty on him? 3) Was the hit really a late hit - i.e. after the play had been blown dead?

Upon close review and watching it about a dozen times, I concluded that:

1) Yes, Adam saw the hit...he turned his head just as Paukovich was about to hit Bina. Unfortunately he didn't see the 8-10 foot approach Paukovich took in order to hit Robbie, He just saw the hit itself.

2) Paukovich actually held up his hands and tipped his head back in the typical "Aww, man, I can't believe you're calling that" fashion.

3) The hit actually occurred right before Adam blew his whistle. This part I paid specific attention to as I had heard so many people saying Paukovich hit him after the play was dead. I saw the hit, then heard the whistle, followed by Adam signaling Paukovich to the box.

The most interesting part was watching the FSN coverage and getting to lip-read what people were saying. If anyone has the game tape, check out the point when Adam was talking to the people in the box. It looked to me as if he said, "I should give 5 minutes for intentional." If this is in fact what he said, that ticks me off alot that he didn't stick to this thought. Hakstol had a few choice words for Adam as well...things I shouldn't repeat on here. What impressed me was Hakstol's ability to remain calm even though he was visibly completely p-o'ed. After his conversation with Adam, you could see Hak call the team in and give them the "let's not let this affect the game, keep your heads in it, play for Robbie" speech. Props to Hak for handling a really crappy situation with a calm, intelligent, classy approach.

3) The hit actually occurred right before Adam blew his whistle. This part I paid specific attention to as I had heard so many people saying Paukovich hit him after the play was dead. I saw the hit, then heard the whistle, followed by Adam signaling Paukovich to the box.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think most people are implying that the hit was after the whistle. However, all players knew that the play was dead when Bina touched it because of the delayed penalty. Bina had touched the puck before he was hit. There is human reaction time until the whistle would actually be heard. Plus, Adam spends so much time sucking and blowing that it could have been delayed more.

I don't buy that argument, Fedorov. How many times have you seen a touch-up icing call where you know it's gonna be icing, yet you watch the rushing player get crunched anyways the moment he touches the puck? Or how about a team knowing they are getting a penalty and rather than touch the puck, the guy sends a slap shot down the ice?

I don't buy that argument, Fedorov.  How many times have you seen a touch-up icing call where you know it's gonna be icing, yet you watch the rushing player get crunched anyways the moment he touches the puck?  Or how about a team knowing they are getting a penalty and rather than touch the puck, the guy sends a slap shot down the ice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not just an argument. I watched it several times on my DVR. The bastard had him lined up and would have hitten him even if the puck snuck by him. I suppose then Adam would have just called it an interference penalty like he did earlier in the game. :)

1) Yes, Adam saw the hit...he turned his head just as Paukovich was about to hit Bina. Unfortunately he didn't see the 8-10 foot approach Paukovich took in order to hit Robbie, He just saw the hit itself.

In watching the replay many times on my crappy extended play VHS tape, that's what I saw, too. However, it should be pointed out that one of the ARs was in position to see everything. I would hope that he informed Adam about what he saw leading up to the hit.

The other thing I saw that made me curious is that it appears that a Sioux player (Marvin?) got his stick on the puck in the corner and shot it up the boards where Bina was waiting to touch it. Could it be that Bina saw the Sioux player gain control and that he expected a whistle before the puck reached him? Perhaps that's why he was so totally unprepared for Paukovich's hit.

Props to Hak for handling a really crappy situation with a calm, intelligent, classy approach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Hakstol came of age as a head coach at that moment.

I agree that he lined him up, Fedorov.  I think the guy is a classless goon and he'll get his soon.  The point of the post was Denver's "tribute."  These are two separate issues here:  DU's and what the general perception of Paukovich.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't buy the tribute. If they were really sorry, they would have suspended him for the rest of the season. They would offer to pay the medical bills. They would be willing to throw the championship game if they play UND. :)